Re: Graphite or Roller Release Bearing?

Roger Searle

Thanks Harry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Hurst <h.hurst@...>
To: PhillyMGClub@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:04 am
Subject: Re: [PhillyMGClub] Graphite or Roller Release Bearing?

When I had my shop we always used the graphite. We did try rollers several times and they failed more than once. The graphite is tried and true. IMHO.

Harry Hurst
(610) 725-9600

On Sep 29, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Roger Searle via groups.io <searlerb@...> wrote:

The clutch came apart in my '71 MGB GT and is being replaced.

I've always had good service from graphite release bearings but I'm leaning towards roller.  My concern is that
if the bearing does not travel and engage perfectly concentrically to the power shaft there will be scrubbing and wear on the bearing.  Which I think is
the reason the factory used graphite.  Thoughts/experience?

Also while the engine and bell housing are pulled apart are they other things I should check and replace?