From: University Motors Limited <johntwist@...>
Date: April 5, 2018 at 11:51:57 PM EDT
To: mgbgt1@...
Subject: MG Technical Seminars 2018 + News and Notes

John Twist’s Technical Seminars 2018

The Hunt Country Classic Tech Seminar, Saturday, October 7, 2017, at the home of Randy Shuck in Chantilly, Virginia.
The dates given are the days John Twist is scheduled for a tech session. Some events are longer!
Some of John's appearances have been made possible, in part, by Moss Motors. Thank you Moss!

KIMBER FESTIVAL
Friday and Saturday April 13 and 14, 2018 Hammondsport, New York

This is a Friday and Saturday event for all MG enthusiasts with many speakers covering a variety of MG topics. Included is a tour of the Glen H Curtis Museum. I will present a paper, “Tuning the XPAG Engine.” Following John's presentation will be Tom Lange's. John and Tom first teamed up to repair MGs in the spring of 1971!

The Kimber Festival was originally organized by Dick Knudson, chairman of the New England MG T Register. This photo dates from the late '80s with both Dick and me at one of our summer parties.
Details: http://www.nemgtr.org/events/event/127-kimber-festival-2018.html

NEMGTR Chesapeake Chapter’s April Tech Session
Saturday and Sunday
April 21 and 22, 2018, Rockville, MD

This is a two-day seminar during which I’ll be working on eight to a dozen MGs. You can sign up to bring your MG to the workshop, or, you can sign up just to watch for one or both days. The MGs have issues from ignition to suspension. This is my fourth visit with this great group.

!! STOP PRESS !!

There are still about six spots open for MGs that MUST be filled by Sunday evening April 8th. This is largely a T type organization, but MGAs and MGBs are welcome. Costs, times, etc are available from Charlie Adams. Email Charlie TODAY charlieadamsmg@... or call him NOW at 703-582-3757! If you cannot raise Charlie on the phone, contact Milton Babirak by email: mbabirak@... or by phone 703-501-7924. Let’s make this event a success!

These are the participants of a Tech Seminar in Denver, North Carolina, from last spring.
JD’s British Cars
MGA/MGB Tune-up Seminar
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Nashville, Tennessee
During this one-day course, I will explain the “hows and whys” of tuning the MGA/MGB while tuning an MGB in JD’s shop. This is a lecture and hands-on all-day event. You will know HOW to tune your MG when you leave this course. Printed material accompanies the lecture and hands-on demonstrations.
Details: https://www.facebook.com/pages/J-Ds-British-Cars/168151989861559
Or phone (615) 361-3887
Or email: Britcarfxr@...

This is one of our last workshops at University Motors at the Patterson address.

Quality Coaches Technical Seminar
Saturday - Sunday May 5 - May 6, 2018
Minneapolis, MN

This will be my eighth time to Mark Brandow’s shop in Minneapolis. In the past we’ve discussed electricals and tune-ups, rebuilt an overdrive gearbox and an MGB short block, performed the Complete Lubrication (Boot to Bonnet inspection – lubrication – adjustment). Two full days of thoroughly MG subjects! We are still working on topics for this spring’s event.
Details: http://quality-coaches.com or phone 612 824-4155

We may talk about MG Electrics.
Memphis British Car Club
Rolling Tech Session
Saturday, June 9, 2018
Memphis, Tennessee

During this rolling tech session, I will look at about 20 MGs, TRs, and AHs throughout the day. Each vehicle will have its own tuning issues – some of which I will be able to sort out in the time I have – some will require more work later. This is an excellent opportunity to view a number of British cars to see the similarities and the differences – as well as the tuning issues encountered. Steve already has a full list of cars for me to work on, but there is plenty of room to come down and spend some time or all day watching.
Details: Steve Wayne 901-921-7709

This shot is from the NAMGAR Rolling Tech in Dayton, Ohio, 2010 or 2011

NAMGAR GT-43
Thursday and Friday
June 14 and June 15, 2018
Richmond, Virginia

I will work on as many MGs as there is time for Thursday and Friday of this week-long MGA event in Richmond. It’s fun to come and just hang out. There will be a lot of banter, flying spanners, and a lot to learn.

Details: http://www.gt43.org/

This MGA is too damaged to fix in one afternoon!
NAMGBR MG2018
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Gettysburg, PA

As at the NAMGAR event, I will work on a number of MGs throughout the day Tuesday. I’ve performed this rolling tech for many years at many NAMGBR and NAMGAR events. Some enthusiasts wander by; some stay nearly all day. There are a greater variety of problems diagnosed and solved than one might see in a shop for a week!
Details: https://mg2018.namgbr.org/

There probably won't be new MGs there -- YET.

GOF Central
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Delevan, Wisconsin

As before, this will be a rolling tech, checking timing and carbs and diagnosing other MG problems.

Details: http://www.gofcentral.com/

I probably won't get a TD this far apart.
British Motoring Festival
Saturday and Sunday
July 14 - July 15, 2018
Windsor (Halifax), Nova Scotia

This weekend includes two events: an MGA/MGB tune-up demonstration at the Village Green (as the one in Nashville); and, a rolling tech session during the Sunday event.
Details: http://www.britishmotoringfestival.com/

Central PA British Car Show
Thursday - Friday, August 23 - 24, 2018
Saturday - Sunday, August 25 - 26, 2018
Altoona, Pennsylvania

This event begins with a two-day seminar at the shop of Jim Pastore. Jim, with his wife Lori, organizes the British Car Show at DelGrosso’s Amusement Park which takes place the following Sunday. Both events are a great time! This is about the tenth time I’ve visited Altoona. In the past, we’ve tuned MGBs, rebuilt engines (twice), rebuilt gearboxes, rebuilt carburetters, and covered electrix. This year’s subject is still up in the air, but it’s always a great time. Contact Jim Pastore: mgnut@...

Details: https://www.facebook.com/Central-PA-British-Car-Club-Inc-115498508487120/

We will NOT be working on Prince Charles' MGC which I saw last year at Sangringham.
GOF West
Week of September 10-14, 2018
South Lake Tahoe, NV

Again, I’ll have my hands in a score of MGs throughout the day in a Rolling Tech Session. More details coming.

Details: https://gofwest.org/gof-west-2018

PENDING SEMINARS

I hope to be able to organize a seminar in St Louis, MO, at John Mangles’ shop before the end of summer. Also, I plan to return to England in the autumn to do several seminars there again. If you are interested in hosting a seminar, either through a business or club, please drop me a note: JohnTwist@...
SUBCONTRACTOR UPDATES

I was saddened to learn that the Radiator Hospital in Grand Rapids has closed down. They repaired our MG radiators for 30 years.

I was just at Southwest Sandblasting in Grand Rapids – Randy is continuing his fine service. Find him at: 616 243 1611.

Casey DeHollander and Dave Stelma are running an excellent machine shop – CD’s Engine Service in Hudsonville, MI. I was just there to drop off the pistons to my MGA engine and saw that Brian was assembling an XPAG engine. They know British! 616 662 1553. It’s difficult to find a good machine shop, but CD’s has offered us excellent service for several decades. Website: www.cdsengine.com

Whitepost Restorations just rebuilt a tandem MG Midget master cylinder for me. They’ve been rebuilding our master cylinders for 30 years, too. We’ve always enjoyed excellent service from them. Find Whitepost at: http://whitepost.com/

Sourcing original engine parts is trial and error on eBay. If you’re looking for factory original or period, high-quality parts, contact Basil Adams in California: 707 762 0974. He’s just helped me with some pistons and tri-metal rod bearings.

GOOD NEWS!! My videographer returns from California in late April. We're going to make more YouTube videos. The channel has about 6.7 million views -- Thanks for watching!
University Motors Online | 100 E Beltline Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506-2410
Unsubscribe mgbgt1@...
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by johntwist@... in collaboration with

Try it free today