Topics

Perseus won't turn on

Neil Kazaross

Nothing I can do can make my Perseus turn on anymore. It is completely dead. It hasn't been exposed to12 VDC and the power supply provided 5.2 VDC.

I assume I need to send it back to Italy for repairs?

73 and thx.. KAZ

Werner Karn

KAZ,

my advice would be to check all possible software issues before assuming a hardware failure. 

Regards 

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 17.08.2019 um 23:11 schrieb Neil Kazaross <neilkaz58@...>:

Nothing I can do can make my Perseus turn on anymore. It is completely dead. It hasn't been exposed to12 VDC and the power supply provided 5.2 VDC.

73 and thx.. KAZ

Simon Brown

OK,

Couple of possibilities:

1. The PSU may show 5.2V but can is supply 5.2V under load? I had a PSU fail and although it showed 5V it couldn’t supply current.
  2. The USB cable. Drove me nuts that did.

My money’s on 1) above. I have a decent Chinese lab. PSU I use when I need a stable supply where I can monitor the current, set trips etc.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Werner Karn via Groups.Io
Sent: 17 August 2019 21:27
To: Perseus-SDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Perseus-SDR] Perseus won't turn on

KAZ,

my advice would be to check all possible software issues before assuming a hardware failure. 

Regards 

Werner

Robbert J. van Herksen

Are you SURE that the LOADED output of your poweradapter is 5Volts??

I had the same problem, and turned out that the output was only 3.1 Volts under load...

XS Max (512Gb)

On 17 Aug 2019, at 22:27, Werner Karn via Groups.Io <werner.karn@...> wrote:

KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Neil Kazaross

Werner, shouldn't it always turn on when plugged in? Shouldn't lights come on green on it? I've had software issues before and it turned on but I couldn't use it. Please advise further?

Win 7 and v 4.1.  73 and thx .. KAZ

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM Werner Karn via Groups.Io <werner.karn=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Neil Kazaross

Is there an easy way to measure the PSU under load? I have a mult meter but that is about all. Why would the USB cable matter. I recall that the rx still showed on (green lights) even when I'd forget to hook up the USB cable.

Sorry for so many questions, but while I am antenna person, I am NOT a receiver person.  73 and thx KAZ

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 4:19 PM Neil Kazaross via Groups.Io <neilkaz58=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Werner, shouldn't it always turn on when plugged in? Shouldn't lights come on green on it? I've had software issues before and it turned on but I couldn't use it. Please advise further?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM Werner Karn via Groups.Io <werner.karn=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Mark Durenberger

And one assumes you’re not seeing any green lights.  That CAN be a bad USB cable or port.

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io [mailto:Perseus-SDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:39 PM

OK,

Couple of possibilities:

1. The PSU may show 5.2V but can is supply 5.2V under load? I had a PSU fail and although it showed 5V it couldn’t supply current.
  2. The USB cable. Drove me nuts that did.

My money’s on 1) above. I have a decent Chinese lab. PSU I use when I need a stable supply where I can monitor the current, set trips etc.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Werner Karn via Groups.Io
Sent: 17 August 2019 21:27

KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

Mark Durenberger

The SDR needs data from the computer to enable its front-panel lights.  A bad USB cable or port could cause this problem.

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io [mailto:Perseus-SDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Kazaross
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 4:28 PM

Is there an easy way to measure the PSU under load? I have a mult meter but that is about all. Why would the USB cable matter. I recall that the rx still showed on (green lights) even when I'd forget to hook up the USB cable.

Sorry for so many questions, but while I am antenna person, I am NOT a receiver person.  73 and thx KAZ

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 4:19 PM Neil Kazaross via Groups.Io <neilkaz58=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Neil Kazaross

OK you guys have convinced me to double check with the USB cable connected and to try every port on my laptop in case one is bad. I'll try tomorrow when I get home.  73 KAZ

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Mark Durenberger <Mark4@...> wrote:

The SDR needs data from the computer to enable its front-panel lights.  A bad USB cable or port could cause this problem.

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io [mailto:Perseus-SDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Kazaross

KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Don

Hi Kaz,

From the very similar troubles I have had it was always a bad wall wart. Yes, as others have mentioned they will read 5v, lights come on the Perseus but that is all - no relay action. I keep several replacement wall warts on hand. Even the rated good ones have failed after a time.

Good Luck fixing your problem!

A terrific radio day in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18 1@18ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
105 Vintage ADF/RDF
2385 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 17-Aug-19 16:19, Neil Kazaross wrote:

Win 7 and v 4.1.?? 73 and thx .. KAZ

KAZ,

my advice would be to check all possible software issues before assuming a hardware failure.??

Regards??

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Don

Hi Kaz,

If you determine the wall wart is bad, cut off the DC cable and save it - throw away the wall wart. If you ever want to power the Perseus with a linear power supply you will already have a plug and cable ready!

A terrific radio night in Nebraska!

Don

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
Z1501F Russian MW
105 Vintage ADF/RDF

On 18-Aug-19 01:48, Don via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Kaz,

From the very similar troubles I have had it was always a bad wall wart. Yes, as others have mentioned they will read 5v, lights come on the Perseus but that is all - no relay action. I keep several replacement wall warts on hand. Even the rated good ones have failed after a time.

Good Luck fixing your problem!

A terrific radio day in Nebraska!

Don

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
Z1501F Russian MW
105 Vintage ADF/RDF

On 17-Aug-19 16:19, Neil Kazaross wrote:

Win 7 and v 4.1.?? 73 and thx .. KAZ

KAZ,

my advice would be to check all possible software issues before assuming a hardware failure.??

Regards??

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mark Durenberger

And try another USB cable.

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2019 10:27 PM

OK you guys have convinced me to double check with the USB cable connected and to try every port on my laptop in case one is bad. I'll try tomorrow when I get home.  73 KAZ

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Mark Durenberger <Mark4@...> wrote:

Cheers!

Mark Durenberger

KAZ,

Regards 

Werner

73 and thx.. KAZ