Topics

Perennial question - which power supply?

Noel

Over the years, there have been a number of threads on this and the general response has been that there are various wall-wart types that will do the job but finding the right one (low noise) is a bit hit and miss.

The exact model supplied with the Perseus used to be available from Pollin Electronic in Germany at a very reasonable price. Sadly no longer available and I haven't been able to find the model elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model which they know meets lo-rfi standards? ....without breaking the bank, of course :)

Thanks
Noel

PB Shell

My wall wart from Perseus died within a few weeks.  I found a good replacement on Amazon.  It cost $5.50

Universal 5V 1.2A AC Power Supply

by Yosoo

Business Seller  Sold by sococo and Fulfilled by Amazon.
  • Universal AC-DC Power adpater for Grandstream IP Phones, ATAs, products. It is light weight and compact in size
  • Input: 100-240V AC 50/60Hz 0.2A
  • Output: 5V DC 1.2A
  • DC Coaxial Plug: 2.1mm (ID) x 5.5mm (OD)

-Phil

On Jun 4, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Noel via Groups.Io <pnoelw@...> wrote:

Over the years, there have been a number of threads on this and the general response has been that there are various wall-wart types that will do the job but finding the right one (low noise) is a bit hit and miss.

The exact model supplied with the Perseus used to be available from Pollin Electronic in Germany at a very reasonable price. Sadly no longer available and I haven't been able to find the model elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model which they know meets lo-rfi standards? ....without breaking the bank, of course :)

Thanks
Noel

Don Moman VE6JY

My earliest Perseus supplies are well over 10 years old, several others almost that old.   All work fine.

The plug is not 2.1 mm tho.... you need the next size up - 2.5 mm.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:50 PM PB Shell <philby54@...> wrote:
[...]

I plugged it in. It fit and it works.  That’s all I know.

On Jun 4, 2019, at 4:00 PM, Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@...> wrote:

[...]

Bjarne Mjelde

Edited

At the KiwiSDR forum I was informed about this 3A PSU as a low-noise or hopefully no-noise alternative. I ordered two for my Kiwis and will test when they arrive. Admittedly 3A is a bit overkill, but then you can power several devices. The manufacturer's name is Mean Well. Somehow, a name like that doesn't really boost my confidence in the device. I mean, well... but we'll see! Apparently not available to Germany for some reason.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
@arcticlistener

Bill Riches

Meanwell products are quality units.  My company has used over a hundred of them with no trouble.

73,

Bill, WA2DVU
Cape May, NJ

Mauno_Ritola

It varies: two of mine stopped working after 5-7 years.

Mauno

Don Moman VE6JY kirjoitti 5.6.2019 klo 1:00:

[...]

Marc Vissers

I’ve repaired two original Perseus power supplies this year. Blown electrolytic capacitors (bad series?), easy and cheap to fix.

73, Marc

[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Bjarne - do let us know whether they really Mean Well or just Meant Well!

I suppose another alternative is that I have an under-utilised and extremely quiet (fixed) 12V linear shack supply. Are satisfactory step-down converters available or is that just another noise source?

Noel.

Roelof Bakker

Hello Noel,

In which country dou you live?
There might be alternatives available.

73,
Roelof Bakker

Noel

Hi Roelof
I'm now in England and would welcome all suggestions.
.....still using your wonderful mini-whip! :)
Noel.

Roelof Bakker

Hello Noel,

Can you mail me direct at roelof@...

I think I can help you out.

73,
Roelof

barry williams

Hi Bjarne,

Mouser used to ship overseas. This company in the link is as big as Mouser and is about the same kind of electronics warehouse. However, Jameco has this 5vdc 1A, linear & regulated for $10.95. Can’t beat that! I may order several to put away for later when my current one quits working. They have 342 in stock at the moment.

If you watch these big suppliers you will notice they get large shipments in and they sell out quickly. One has to check every couple of days for various badged items.

Barry

On Jun 4, 2019, at 11:02 PM, Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

At the KiwiSDR forum I was informed about this 3A PSU as a low-noise or hopefully no-noise alternative. I ordered two for my Kiwis and will test when they arrive. Admittedly 3A is a bit overkill, but then you can power several devices. The manufacturer's name is Mean Well. Somehow, a name like that doesn't really boost my confidence in the device. I mean, well... but we'll see! Apparently not available to Germany for some reason.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
@arcticlistener

Don

Hi All,

These Jameco Reliapro are good wall warts and I use them as replacements but they do fail. I've had at least two fail. They will show 5vdc but I guess not enough current when they fail. They also show up on the 'bay from time to time. Maybe cheaper with free shipping. Always good to have an extra on hand.

Another terrific day in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18 1@18ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
105 Vintage ADF/RDF
2384 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 05-Jun-19 19:53, barry williams wrote:
[...]

Resend- Sorry, first message must be lost

[...]

Mean Well: Mixed results.
First, to Barry: Mouser does ship overseas, and they ship exceptionally fast via DHL, and free with orders >50 USD. So why this product was not available in Germany I don't know. The Ameco power would not work in a European environment since it's not dual-power.

The Mean Well appears to work well, but not entirely. I powered up one of my CloudIQs with it, and there was no added RFI, at least on < 2 MHz compared to the previous power I used for the CloudIQ. I noted no added RFI on other SDRs which were using a coax-fed longwire via an in-house splitter/preamp. However, there was noticeable RFI on my public KiwiSDR which is fed from a Bonito MegaDipol. When the Kiwi was fed from the longwire, there was no RFI. The Bonito has an in-house unit. I swapped power to this unit but no effect. I could feed the CloudIQ from the Bonito with no added RFI with the Mean Well power, so I assume the issue is with the KiwiSDR. I also powered a non-public KiwiSDR from the Mean Well, and ran the longwire with it. There was significant RFI when the Mean Well powered the Kiwi (see attachment, bottom waterfall).

So, if it worked well with the CloudIQ, it should work well with the Perseus! However!! The 5.5/2.1 mm plug doesn't fit in the Perseus connector, so you need to find a different connector for use with Perseus, I remember some comments about the Perseus connector using a different standard. 5.5 mm outer diameter is too big.

Noel, I suppose you do not necessarily need a wall wart, but a noise-free power supply. You might find this blogpost of interest as well: https://arcticdx.blogspot.com/2016/09/powering-your-perseus-or-any-5vdc-sdr.html

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
@Arcticlistener

Bjarne Mjelde

I forgot to mention that I measured 5.13 V with no load. Well within Perseus limits.

Bjarne

D R

Hi Noel,

The PS now supplied by Microtelecom is a switch mode unit, part no. SMI6-5-V-P6, which is stocked by Mouser and DigiKey.  It's a lot more expensive than the ubiquitous Chinese SMPS's around, so it may contain some extra filtering.  I would imagine Microtelecom selected it because it was the best one at a reasonable cost, given that EU regulations now prevent them from supplying transformer types, so if you can't find a known better one, you could always try one of these.

Regards,
Dave

On Tuesday, 4 June 2019, 21:22:29 GMT+1, Noel via Groups.Io <pnoelw@...> wrote:

Over the years, there have been a number of threads on this and the general response has been that there are various wall-wart types that will do the job but finding the right one (low noise) is a bit hit and miss.

The exact model supplied with the Perseus used to be available from Pollin Electronic in Germany at a very reasonable price. Sadly no longer available and I haven't been able to find the model elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model which they know meets lo-rfi standards? ....without breaking the bank, of course :)

Thanks
Noel

Roelof Bakker

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I do order from Mouser regularly and will purchase one.

I have a spare Friwo power supply available for Noel.
However, I guess he missed my email.

73,
Roelof

D R

Hi Roelof,

I've got mine powered by an audiophile, "ultra low noise", linear power supply at the moment, just to see if I can detect any difference.  I suspect that any improvement will be extremely marginal, if anything is even noticeable at all.

Regards,
Dave