Topics

Optical USB cable

Mauno_Ritola

Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

Robbert J. van Herksen

Doesn't make ANY difference...

On 18/08/2019 21:29, Mauno_Ritola wrote:
Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

Werner Karn

Mauno,

Yes, I tried a Corning optical cable. I always had to try to start Perseus several times before the data transfer would work and there was no noticeable difference in noise.

Regards

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 18.08.2019 um 22:30 schrieb Robbert J. van Herksen <@tulipman>:

Doesn't make ANY difference...

On 18/08/2019 21:29, Mauno_Ritola wrote:
Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

Paul Schenkel

Hi All,

The USB data-transfer creates a strong noise when an indoor antenna is used.
Don't use the front panel connectors at the PC, it creates even more noise.
It is much better to use the rear USB connectors and a very short USB cable.
For outdoor antennas, the noise from the USB is not critical.

Regards,
Paul (HB9DFQ)

Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

barry williams

Do you mean the $250.00 cables????

Barry

On Aug 18, 2019, at 3:16 PM, Werner Karn via Groups.Io <werner.karn=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mauno,

Yes, I tried a Corning optical cable. I always had to try to start Perseus several times before the data transfer would work and there was no noticeable difference in noise.

Regards

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 18.08.2019 um 22:30 schrieb Robbert J. van Herksen <@tulipman>:

Doesn't make ANY difference...

On 18/08/2019 21:29, Mauno_Ritola wrote:
Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

Werner Karn

Barry,

Yes, cost was € 180 for 15 m.

Regards

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.08.2019 um 17:07 schrieb barry williams <ba.williams@...>:

Do you mean the $250.00 cables????

Barry

On Aug 18, 2019, at 3:16 PM, Werner Karn via Groups.Io <werner.karn=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mauno,

Yes, I tried a Corning optical cable. I always had to try to start Perseus several times before the data transfer would work and there was no noticeable difference in noise.

Regards

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 18.08.2019 um 22:30 schrieb Robbert J. van Herksen <@tulipman>:

Doesn't make ANY difference...

On 18/08/2019 21:29, Mauno_Ritola wrote:
Has anyone tried optical USB cable with Perseus? Would it be worth it noise-wise?

Thanks,

Mauno

barry williams

I think I should apologize for missing the message at the bottom of these attached messages. I did not notice that Mauno had asked about using these cables.

Still, I did ask if he was referring to these higher priced cables. I need to confess total ignorance of improvements these USB cables may provide, and that’s why I asked. But, are they worth the price? Does any company make these cables in shorter lengths, or is that impractical?

Sorry for jumping into the middle of an ongoing discussion.

Thanks,

Barry