Topics

Operating System Questions

George Stein - NJ3H

Greetings,

For the last six years I have been using my Perseus with a Windows 8.1 computer. That computer is no longer reliable.

I am having a computer put together for me. My question, should I go with Windows 10 or have Windows 8.1 installed? If Windows 10, which version?

I recall reading about Windows 10 and Perseus issues a few years ago. Using 8.1,  I didn't pay to much attention at the time.

Does the Perseus function ok with Windows 10? Are there special install steps that need to be followed ?

So if it were you, which operating system would you go with,  8.1 or 10.

Any installation guidance would be most welcome. By the way I am using version 5 beta or whatever it is called of the Perseus software.

One other question, does anyone know if the S2 from Elad has Windows 10 issues?

Thanks to all for any ideas to help me.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

Don

Hi George,

I'm using a Perseus v5a on a w10 PC with no problems. Win10 is like the older win versions but has more rubbish tacked on to it......

A terrific Perseus in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18ft 1@24ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
105 Vintage ADF/RDF
2385 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 25-Aug-19 02:15, George Stein - NJ3H via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Robbert J. van Herksen

Windows 8.x was just a bad iteration.
That’s why, when Windows 8 was released in 2012, had only persuaded 3.5% of the population to upgrade. The vast majority of computer users preferred to stick with Windows 7,inclusing myself.
I LOVED Windows 7, and still do!

Windows 10 takes the best of Windows 8 (and Windows 8.1) while binning everything we hated about it. It's the operating system that Windows 8.1 should have been.

73 de Robbert / PA3BKL

 XS Max (512Gb)

On 25 Aug 2019, at 09:15, George Stein - NJ3H via Groups.Io <nj3h@...> wrote:

[...]

fabio

Perseus v. 5 work fine with win10.

Fabio
Iu1lus

Il Dom 25 Ago 2019, 09:15 George Stein - NJ3H via Groups.Io <nj3h=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
[...]

Walter Salmaniw

George, W 10 was the first OS that worked with Perseus out of the box. Plug and play, it all worked, as did the various timer programs. Good luck !   Walt

On Sunday, August 25, 2019, George Stein - NJ3H via Groups.Io <nj3h=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Richard Brown

Get Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (assuming your computer is 64 bit). Then you'll have all the tools. Windows 10 Media is a regular license with rabbit snares. If you got along in Windows 8,8.1 with the Perseus, you'll be fine in Windows 10. Make sure you load the correct USB Driver for your machine.

Rich Brown

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks to all who responed with great information.

Is there a different driver for Win 10? At the Perseus website,  I see one for USB 3. Perhaps I overlooked it.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA
DMR ID: 3141315
AllStar Node: 49246
EchoLink Node NJ3H-L: 3135
IRLP Node: 3659

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 8:46 PM, Richard Brown via Groups.Io
<ninerdick@...> wrote:
Get Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (assuming your computer is 64 bit). Then you'll have all the tools. Windows 10 Media is a regular license with rabbit snares. If you got along in Windows 8,8.1 with the Perseus, you'll be fine in Windows 10. Make sure you load the correct USB Driver for your machine.

Rich Brown

Richard Brown

No separate driver for Windows 10. If your computer has USB3, you need to use that driver.

<ninerdick@...> wrote:
Get Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (assuming your computer is 64 bit). Then you'll have all the tools. Windows 10 Media is a regular license with rabbit snares. If you got along in Windows 8,8.1 with the Perseus, you'll be fine in Windows 10. Make sure you load the correct USB Driver for your machine.

Rich Brown

Don

Hi George,

If you see the Zadig file on the site, download that and use it to load the Perseus driver.

Then look in Device manager and you should see the Perseus icon.

A terrific NDB night in Nebraska!