Topics

New Perseus User Questions

Les Rayburn

Looks like I’ve finally tracked down a Perseus SDR that will be devoted to AM BCB and NDB DXing. Lots of questions for the group:

1.) What software package should I download for use with the receiver?
I’ve heard some AM DX’ers mention something called “Jaguar?”

2.) What is the latest firmware available for the SDR? Is there a link that walks users through downloading & installing the latest firmware?

3.) Any tips or suggestions for a new user?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR2, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

barry williams

Hi Les,

I would suggest trying the Perseus software and see if you like it. It is a solid and well done program. Do spend the extra money for Version 5. It is a major update and some very good improvements over the downloadable versions from the Perseus website.

I don’t know that Jaguar would offer that the Perseus software doesn’t already have. Just my opinion.

Barry Williams- Auburn area, Alabama

p.s. How do you like the Korner 9.2?

On Jun 2, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Les Rayburn <les@...> wrote:

[...]

Guido Schotmans

In my opinion, if you are a serious MW/AM band DXer the Jaguar software is much more worth the money than the V5 upgrade. You can try the lite free version that gives already a good feeling what it is capable about.

BTW AFAIK there has never been firmware updates for the Perseus, just new drivers.

73,

Guido.

[...]

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Bjarne Mjelde

Download http://microtelecom.it/perseus/PerseusDriversUpdate2016a1.zip and install. Read the instructions closely! (such as when to connect the hardware)
Download http://microtelecom.it/perseus/Perseusv41a.zip, unzip to wanted folder. No installation procedure on this. Now, since 4.1a is quite old, the dll may not work properly with new USB 3.0/2.0, download new dll http://microtelecom.it/perseus/perseususbdllv310.zip and unzip in the directory of 4.1a (replace the old dll).

Test, and evaluate.

V5 is said to have added features over V4.1a. I have tested it briefly and found no reason to upgrade (but then I use Jaguar...)

If you want to record and play back IQ files on a more than casual level, you need other software than the original Perseus. Both HDSDR and SDR Console supports the Perseus, and of course Jaguar which is developed with the dedicated MW DX-er in mind. Contact me off-list if you want to know more about it - you have my email address.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

fabio

The reason for upgrade to v. 5 is to increase the screen resolution and jaguar it's very ugly.

73

l Lun 3 Giu 2019, 06:47 Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...> ha scritto:

[...]

lasse moell

Hunting for NDB may be a reson for upgrading to V5, but I let those who do this tell us if it is worth it.

/Lasse

3 juni 2019 06:47:47 +02:00, skrev Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...>:

[...]

James Niven

Les,

I have perseus software v4 and v5 on the same computer both work very well. V5 gives you the full screen view.

As for Jaguar, it works well and was designed for DXers by Dxers from what I can read from the user manual, a little learning curve but worth installing and testing our to form your on opinion.

With the Perseus, I use mainly SDR console with the latest version at 3.0.9 and they pair nicely together.

Thanks

[...]

Noel

Hi Les

Firstly, the Perseus is still amongst the top of its class and I'm sure you will enjoy the performance. For the past 12 months or so I have been shifting from hf/vhf/uhf utility and digital towards NDB's, AM BCB and DGPS. So I've also been doing a lot of research and trialling various software packages for Perseus, AM and NDB.

V5 software - I did purchase the upgrade and it is better than V4 but depending on the additional software you decide to use then it may be sperfluous to requirements....

Jaguar - wow! As others have said - remember this package has been (and still is being) developed and proven over many years by some really hard-core dx'ers. I spent many weeks familiarising myself with the Lite version. It is a steep learning curve and requires persistence but the rewards are well worth the effort. I have now upgraded to Jaguar Pro (e-type) and the reasoning and functionality of more and more features are becoming apparent. It is a powerful adjunct to this hobby.

NDB's. Peseus excels here and the higher resolution graphics in V5 may help. If you only use aural techniques then V4, V5 and SDR console all work very well. However, if you aren't stuck on being a "purist" then there is another great new software package available - Pskov NDB. You may have noticed it on the groups.io ndblist. That has re-invigorated my interest in this area and has helped me increase my logs dramatically.

The Jaguar and Pskov communities are very welcoming and helpful.

And if your interest might extend to DGPS - you can use your overnight Perseus NDB recordings which span the DGPS band plus a package from Blackcat Sytems, ADGPS. Also see the dgps section on groups.io

For both Jaguar and Pskov the underlying IQ recordings are very important so make sure you have plenty of fast disc-space.

These 2 packages have got the dx-juices flowing and have convinced me to get the antennae sorted out. I'm currently collecting the parts to build a small flag antenna (3.2m x 6m) and hope to be running full steam when the nights start to close in after summer.

Do let us know what decisions you eventually take and the reasoning.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Noel.

barry williams

I can vouch for Perseus V5 as being a big improvement for NDB dx. Nico did say that big improvements were made in the DSP coding. And, you can ID many stations from the screen. I don’t log NDB’s any longer, but V5 made it really nice for this kind of dx.

I don’t understand how Jaguar is being discussed as a favorable program for any DX and the V5 update software is being questioned. This makes no sense.

Barry

On Jun 3, 2019, at 2:25 AM, lasse moell <lasse.moell@...> wrote:

[...]

Barry,
your lack of understanding Jaguar is based on lack of knowledge, and that is fair enough. It may not make sense for you, but it makes a lot of sense for us.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Guido Schotmans

Barry,

Jaguar is not the favorable program for any DX while it's almost only orientated to AM/MW DX. Perseus V5 is good for NDB DXing.

73,

Guido.

[...]

Marco Cogoni <cogoni@...>

Hi Everybody,
I tried Jaguar-lite once for a few hours, I had the impression that its user interface was designed by an alien for aliens :-D
Maybe for hard core MW Dx-ers it offers unique features but for general purpose listening/measurement I'd say there are far better options.
The Perseus software is very well designed even if it's only for Windows.
If one is serious about extremely weak signals work I'd say there's nothing more powerful than Linrad. Its interface is
not user friendly, but at least it's consistent and graphically super efficient on older machines.
Also, the possibility of Linrad to share one Perseus over a network may be a major plus.

73,
marco / IS0KYB

--
marco cogoni
CRS4

Roelof Bakker

Helo Marco,

I can second your remarks about the use of Linrad.

It is very good for analyzing IQ recordings for propagation monitoring.

I am making PERSEUS IQ recordings every night from 200 - 600 kHz.
Using the fast playback mode in Linrad, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to produce a graph of a particular
channel in a 30 Hz wide window. This is ideal to track down rare NDB's that pop up for a short time.
Once you find one I either use Linrad of V5 for aural copy.

73,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Nick Hall-Patch

I have noticed that Carrier Sleuth (https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/medium_wave_carrier_display_app.html), which handles Perseus files, has an NDB setting, as well as for 9 kHz, 10kHz and custom channels. I've used it for analyzing all MW 9kHz channels in a one hour period, and been favorably impressed, but wondered if others had tried the NDB setting, and how that might compare with Linrad.

Thanks.

Nick

At 09:55 2019-06-04, Roelof Bakker wrote:
Helo Marco,

I can second your remarks about the use of Linrad.

It is very good for analyzing IQ recordings for propagation monitoring.

I am making PERSEUS IQ recordings every night from 200 - 600 kHz.
Using the fast playback mode in Linrad, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to produce a graph of a particular
channel in a 30 Hz wide window. This is ideal to track down rare NDB's that pop up for a short time.
Once you find one I either use Linrad of V5 for aural copy.

73,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

Les Rayburn

Where can I purchase the latest version of Jaguar (Pro version)? There seem to be a lot of dead or legacy web sites for the software out there on the web.

Jaguar-Lite has a more modern looking blog site—but I can’t find anything similar for the pro version.

Thanks for all the assistance.

On Jun 4, 2019, at 4:55 AM, Roelof Bakker <roelof@...> wrote:

Helo Marco,

I can second your remarks about the use of Linrad.

It is very good for analyzing IQ recordings for propagation monitoring.

I am making PERSEUS IQ recordings every night from 200 - 600 kHz.
Using the fast playback mode in Linrad, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to produce a graph of a particular
channel in a 30 Hz wide window. This is ideal to track down rare NDB's that pop up for a short time.
Once you find one I either use Linrad of V5 for aural copy.

73,
Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Noel

Hi Les

In Jaguar lite
- Click on the "?" - bottom toolbar on the right
- On the pop-up menu, hit "I -- information"
- On the next large pop-up screen, click the bottom right button "get pro"
This will open up a pre-addressed e-mail complete with the key you will require to apply for the upgrade.

Alternatively, there is a "contact info" button at the bottom of the "?" menu.

Noel.

Bjarne Mjelde

Further to Noel's reply: "Real Men of Genius" never read the manual, but in this case it might be worth the effort. It is quite extensive and step-by-step for many functions. I believe it is part of the download.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com
@Arcticlistener

barry williams

Bjarne,

Yes, maybe I am overly opinionated. Still, I did try it out a couple of times and didn’t “get it.”  Thanks for being kind in your reply. I’ll try again and see what Jaguar offers. I’ll post positive impressions elsewhere and not on the Microtelecom site.

Barry