Topics

Hello and quick power supply question

Andrew Price

First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?  

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Thanks and best wishes,  Andy ( M0VII ) 

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Andy.

I am not absolutely sure about this but I think that these USB batteries have power management chips that are essentially switching regulators. Maybe some are actually quite noisy? Perhaps others might be able to comment? It is an interesting idea. At the moment I have an expensive Lab supply in use when I am using the Perseus in ‘serious’ mode. It’s a waste.

Conrad PA5Y

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Price via Groups.Io
Sent: 11 September 2019 19:27
To: Perseus-SDR@groups.io
Subject: [Perseus-SDR] Hello and quick power supply question

First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?  

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Don

Hi Andrew,

The info I have for the connector is?? 2.5 mm x 5 mm. The Perseus requires 5v/1 amp. Don't know how long one of those packs could last. The original wall wart is quiet.

A terrific Perseus day in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18ft 1@24ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
106 Vintage ADF/RDF
2388 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 11-Sep-19 12:26, Andrew Price wrote:
First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?????

Thanks and best wishes,?? Andy ( M0VII )??

Virus-free. www.avast.com

D R

Hi Andy,

There's no problem with noise from the SMPS supplied with the radio, as it's very well filtered.  Replacements are also easily available from Digikey and Mouser, so there's no need to worry about preserving the one that came with the radio.  The Perseus would probably run ok from the power bank, but you wouldn't want it running out in the middle of a night's listening or recording for a CLE!

Regards,
Dave

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019, 22:27:33 GMT+1, Andrew Price <andy@...> wrote:

Bjarne Mjelde

I have to disagree with the comments here. The original PSU is not noise-free, though in fairness it does well for a switching power. Since 2010, I haven't used it on any of my Perseus SDRs. USB power banks are a good source for power (and in fact, so is a PC's USB 3.0 port). I did a test of different power sources a while back.

I have tested a few power banks and there were no noise from the ones I tested. This is of course circumstantial evidence only, so if all power banks are noise-free is a different question. Latest one to test was the Zendure SuperTank 27Ah which has two USB-A connectors. Its net capacity for 5V devices is around 20Ah, which will power the Perseus for at least 24 hours.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Bjarne.

That's quite interesting. Could you provide a link to the Bel Power Solutions supply please? That looks perfect for me. I have a Perseus and 3 Afedri SDRNet devices, I use them on EME with Linrad so switching noise is really important to me, I do see some noise with the SMPSU supplied with the Perseus. At the moment I am using an HP bench supply with a noisy fan!

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> on behalf of Bjarne Mjelde via Groups.Io <bjarne.mjelde@...>
Sent: 12 September 2019 07:14
To: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Perseus-SDR] Hello and quick power supply question

I have to disagree with the comments here. The original PSU is not noise-free, though in fairness it does well for a switching power. Since 2010, I haven't used it on any of my Perseus SDRs. USB power banks are a good source for power (and in fact, so is a PC's USB 3.0 port). I did a test of different power sources a while back.

I have tested a few power banks and there were no noise from the ones I tested. This is of course circumstantial evidence only, so if all power banks are noise-free is a different question. Latest one to test was the Zendure SuperTank 27Ah which has two USB-A connectors. Its net capacity for 5V devices is around 20Ah, which will power the Perseus for at least 24 hours.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Conrad, PA5Y

I found them on the mouser site, they do not have any 3 amp variants in stock but they do have the 6 amp ones for a little more.

They have overvoltage protection and look perfect for the job.

Regards

Conrad 

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> on behalf of Conrad, PA5Y via Groups.Io <g0ruz@...>
Sent: 12 September 2019 09:24

Hello Bjarne.

That's quite interesting. Could you provide a link to the Bel Power Solutions supply please? That looks perfect for me. I have a Perseus and 3 Afedri SDRNet devices, I use them on EME with Linrad so switching noise is really important to me, I do see some noise with the SMPSU supplied with the Perseus. At the moment I am using an HP bench supply with a noisy fan!

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> on behalf of Bjarne Mjelde via Groups.Io <bjarne.mjelde@...>
Sent: 12 September 2019 07:14

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Bjarne Mjelde

Conrad: Yes, I bought mine from Mouser. The 3A PSU is currently powering two KiwiSDRs. You can manually adjust the DC out - the Kiwis tend to work better with a slightly higher voltage like 5.2V. The Bel Power does run quite warm during load, so let it have some air.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

lasse moell

I have never seen a switched mode PS fail and give higher output than nominal (usually when oscillator stops there is no output) but had linear supplies with shorted regulator i.e. full voltage out, more than once.

Make sure you have an fast reacting Over Voltage Protection on your linear supply, hopefully it can react faster than the "smoke detector" inside your Perseus. We do not want the smoke to escape :)

/Lasse SM5GLC

12 september 2019 11:00:29 +02:00, skrev Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...>:

Conrad: Yes, I bought mine from Mouser. The 3A PSU is currently powering two KiwiSDRs. You can manually adjust the DC out - the Kiwis tend to work better with a slightly higher voltage like 5.2V. The Bel Power does run quite warm during load, so let it have some air.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Conrad, PA5Y

Lasse you mean the magic smoke 🙂

I am of the opinion that with 300,000 hrs MTBF and my 2.4A requirement the 6A unit should be fine. There is OVP but not sure how fast it is.

Conrad

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> on behalf of lasse moell via Groups.Io <lasse.moell@...>
Sent: 12 September 2019 11:07

I have never seen a switched mode PS fail and give higher output than nominal (usually when oscillator stops there is no output) but had linear supplies with shorted regulator i.e. full voltage out, more than once.

Make sure you have an fast reacting Over Voltage Protection on your linear supply, hopefully it can react faster than the "smoke detector" inside your Perseus. We do not want the smoke to escape :)

/Lasse SM5GLC

12 september 2019 11:00:29 +02:00, skrev Bjarne Mjelde <bjarne.mjelde@...>:

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Andrew Price

Thank you all for the replies and useful information. I have ordered a cable and will test my Perseus with the power banks that I have at the moment (inexpensive 2600 mAh generic ones) - If it works OK then I will go ahead and get one of the larger capacity type that has been suggested.

Best regards,  Andy.

Wolfgang Bueschel

The original PSU is > n o t < noise-free, though in fairness it does
well for a switching power.
right 100%,
many German Perseus user in 2008 to 2010 years replaced this unit then.
73 wb df5sx

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:14 AM
I have to disagree with the comments here. The original PSU is not
noise-free, though in fairness it does well for a switching power. Since
2010, I haven't used it on any of my Perseus SDRs. USB power banks are a
good source for power (and in fact, so is a PC's USB 3.0 port). I did a test
of different power sources a while back (
https://arcticdx.blogspot.com/2016/09/powering-your-perseus-or-any-5vdc-sdr.html )

I have tested a few power banks and there were no noise from the ones I
tested. This is of course circumstantial evidence only, so if all power
banks are noise-free is a different question. Latest one to test was the
Zendure SuperTank 27Ah which has two USB-A connectors. Its net capacity for
5V devices is around 20Ah, which will power the Perseus for at least 24
hours.
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Roelof Bakker

Hello Andrew,

The original power supply has been in use since March 2008 and is still going strong.
Regarding the emitted noise, unless you live in a very, very quiet RF environment, I doubt you will ever
note it.

The PERSEUS must somehow suppress the noise as the same power supply is completely useless at VLF / LF
to feed an active antenna!

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Mauno_Ritola

I agree, maybe the units can be different noisewise? I had a couple of them in a rather low noise surroundings and I didn't notice any difference, when I replaced them with a lab supply couple of years ago, when they started failing.

Mauno

Roelof Bakker kirjoitti 12.9.2019 klo 17:15:

Hello Andrew,

The original power supply has been in use since March 2008 and is still going strong.
Regarding the emitted noise, unless you live in a very, very quiet RF environment, I doubt you will ever
note it.

The PERSEUS must somehow suppress the noise as the same power supply is completely useless at VLF / LF

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Nick Hall-Patch

The best way to test a "low noise" supply is to use it to power an active antenna, Roelof.

In an area full of active medium wave transmitters, supply noise may not be noticed so much, but above and below the band will usually tell the tale, unless of course the local noise level is already quite bad.

For me, it's linear supplies, or batteries, for powering active antennas. And, not the computer / smart phone charging battery packs, as they too almost certainly contain switching supplies. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that, but experience so far has not been encouraging.

best wishes,

Nick

At 14:15 2019-09-12, Roelof Bakker wrote:
Hello Andrew,

note it.

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

Roelof Bakker

Hello Nick,

I can confirm your findings and as proof I have a box full of switch mode wallwarts of every brand you
can imagine. Some are worse that others, but bad they all are, especially at VLF and LF.

Transformer wallwarts are banned in Europe for environmental reasons, aka lack of efficiency.

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

Andrew Price

Hi Roelof
Thanks for the additional info, yes I fully understand the local noise issue. I havn't noticed any problems as such with the original supply and as you say the noise that other have found it to produce will almost certaily be hidden by noise at my QTH. I have houses all around and countless switch mode power supplies myself. It's fun just to experiment though so we shall see.

On another note, I have received the mini-whip that you kindly built for me. I havn't had time to mount and try it yet but you obviously take very great pride in your work as the construction is exceptional !

Thank you again, Andy.

barry williams

Hi Andrew and the group,

I used to order wall warts from Mouser but I skip all that now and order the Pyramid brand regulated, linear power supplies from Amazon. I have had several, with one almost a year old and they work fine. I accidentally pushed the 3 amp model with a 3.5 amp load and it will experience thermal shutdowns if the top vent holes are covered up. It still works okay once the load is dropped or the top vents are uncovered. I now have a 6 amp version that is powering devices. As my regulated, linear wall wart power supplies die off I'll add the radio devices to these Pyramids. They are the desktop kind with the terminals on the front. I think both models are under $50 and I recommend them. Life is good when I don't  have to worry about finding the wall warts, soldering connectors to them, and having them die after a year or so of daily use. Also, they look good if you sit them out in view in your shack. A search of Amazon will lead you to them easily enough if you type in: Pyramid, regulated power supply, PS8KX. 

Barry Williams

-----------------------------------------

Cc:
Sent: Wednesday September 11 2019 6:14:13PM

Simon Brown

Andy,

Replacement low noise PSUs are very easy to obtain. I’ve lost two over the years, one Perseus, the other NetSDR. I bought replacements on Amazon, they work very well.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: Perseus-SDR@groups.io <Perseus-SDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Price
Sent: 11 September 2019 18:27

Werner Karn

Barry and all,

Note: this one is 110V AC only.

Regards 

Werner

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 13.09.2019 um 18:28 schrieb barry williams <ba.williams@...>:

Hi Andrew and the group,

I used to order wall warts from Mouser but I skip all that now and order the Pyramid brand regulated, linear power supplies from Amazon. I have had several, with one almost a year old and they work fine. I accidentally pushed the 3 amp model with a 3.5 amp load and it will experience thermal shutdowns if the top vent holes are covered up. It still works okay once the load is dropped or the top vents are uncovered. I now have a 6 amp version that is powering devices. As my regulated, linear wall wart power supplies die off I'll add the radio devices to these Pyramids. They are the desktop kind with the terminals on the front. I think both models are under $50 and I recommend them. Life is good when I don't  have to worry about finding the wall warts, soldering connectors to them, and having them die after a year or so of daily use. Also, they look good if you sit them out in view in your shack. A search of Amazon will lead you to them easily enough if you type in: Pyramid, regulated power supply, PS8KX. 

Barry Williams

-----------------------------------------

Cc:
Sent: Wednesday September 11 2019 6:14:13PM