Topics

Hello and quick power supply question

Andrew Price

First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Thanks and best wishes,  Andy ( M0VII )

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Andy.

I am not absolutely sure about this but I think that these USB batteries have power management chips that are essentially switching regulators. Maybe some are actually quite noisy? Perhaps others might be able to comment? It is an interesting idea. At the moment I have an expensive Lab supply in use when I am using the Perseus in ‘serious’ mode. It’s a waste.

73

Conrad PA5Y

First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Thanks and best wishes,  Andy ( M0VII )

Don

Hi Andrew,

The info I have for the connector is?? 2.5 mm x 5 mm. The Perseus requires 5v/1 amp. Don't know how long one of those packs could last. The original wall wart is quiet.

A terrific Perseus day in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18ft 1@24ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
106 Vintage ADF/RDF
2388 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 11-Sep-19 12:26, Andrew Price wrote:
First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?????

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Thanks and best wishes,?? Andy ( M0VII )??

D R

Hi Andy,

There's no problem with noise from the SMPS supplied with the radio, as it's very well filtered.  Replacements are also easily available from Digikey and Mouser, so there's no need to worry about preserving the one that came with the radio.  The Perseus would probably run ok from the power bank, but you wouldn't want it running out in the middle of a night's listening or recording for a CLE!

Regards,
Dave

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019, 22:27:33 GMT+1, Andrew Price <andy@...> wrote:

First, hello all. I'm new to this group and also the NDB list. I have just purchased a Perseus mainly to participate in the NDB list CLE events. I just wondered if this cable would be OK to use to power the Perseus from a 5V USB power bank type battery?

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/1-5m-usb-to-2-5mm-inner-5-5mm-outer-dc-adapter-cable-p7253/s7404

I'd like to power it by battery for the lowest noise and also to perserve the original mains power supply.

Thanks and best wishes,  Andy ( M0VII )

Bjarne Mjelde

I have to disagree with the comments here. The original PSU is not noise-free, though in fairness it does well for a switching power. Since 2010, I haven't used it on any of my Perseus SDRs. USB power banks are a good source for power (and in fact, so is a PC's USB 3.0 port). I did a test of different power sources a while back.

I have tested a few power banks and there were no noise from the ones I tested. This is of course circumstantial evidence only, so if all power banks are noise-free is a different question. Latest one to test was the Zendure SuperTank 27Ah which has two USB-A connectors. Its net capacity for 5V devices is around 20Ah, which will power the Perseus for at least 24 hours.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Bjarne.

That's quite interesting. Could you provide a link to the Bel Power Solutions supply please? That looks perfect for me. I have a Perseus and 3 Afedri SDRNet devices, I use them on EME with Linrad so switching noise is really important to me, I do see some noise with the SMPSU supplied with the Perseus. At the moment I am using an HP bench supply with a noisy fan!

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

I have to disagree with the comments here. The original PSU is not noise-free, though in fairness it does well for a switching power. Since 2010, I haven't used it on any of my Perseus SDRs. USB power banks are a good source for power (and in fact, so is a PC's USB 3.0 port). I did a test of different power sources a while back.

I have tested a few power banks and there were no noise from the ones I tested. This is of course circumstantial evidence only, so if all power banks are noise-free is a different question. Latest one to test was the Zendure SuperTank 27Ah which has two USB-A connectors. Its net capacity for 5V devices is around 20Ah, which will power the Perseus for at least 24 hours.

Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Conrad, PA5Y

I found them on the mouser site, they do not have any 3 amp variants in stock but they do have the 6 amp ones for a little more.

They have overvoltage protection and look perfect for the job.

Regards

Conrad