Topics

Computer capacity for Perseus

ingo.nortz

Hi Guys, I am new here.-
I am maybe interested in to buy an PERSEUS SDR.
I have some questions, with sure very easy to answer:

1. my PC is an mini ITX with Asus N3150I-C Mainboard and quad core Celeron 2,08 Ghz, plus 8GB DDR3 DIMM
    Is this  board sufficient to use the PERSEUS 100% with fun?
2. By your experience, can I use also other application as SDR RSP DUO in parallel? I using the SDR Duo
    currently as pan adapter. I am not amused about the SDR Duo. The idea was to use one RX for pan adapter
    and the other RX as  indepanded receiver. Doesn´t work well to me and its complicated and the sound is lets
    say like a brass orchestra or  tin can.  If I decide for PERSEUS I will sell the SDR DUO and searching for my
    pan adapter for other simple solution..
Can you help with your experience?
73
Ingo

lasse moell

Hi Ingo,
I love my Perseus, but in your case I am not sure it will be noticable better...
You hve the SDR Duo and I guess you are using SDR Play software. Most (90%) of all SDR receivers do rely on software running on the control computer to demodulate and process the audio. SDR Play was known for its very good audio, and this was a selling point when this software was sold. It must be something with the audio in your computer that causing the poor audio quality, and you will not see any inprovement by getting a Perseus.

Maybe others have "better advices" to give :)

/Lasse SM5GKC

7 augusti 2019 16:17:53 +02:00, skrev ingo.nortz@...:

[...]

Dear Lasse,

Thanks for answer.
I will check it.
How every, do you belive that my computer suits for the PERSEUS?
Vy 73

Ingo

DL2AAA

Von Samsung-Tablet gesendet

Ingo Nortz

Georg-Weidner-Str. 20

92318 Neumarkt

Ingo.nortz@...

Tel. 09181- 320993

Mobil 015141217461

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)
An: Perseus-SDR@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [Perseus-SDR] Computer capacity for Perseus

[...]

A quad-core processor running at 2GHz should be plenty...
But somtimes there are other limiting factors if you intend to record 1 or 2 MHz wide, and replay. This may strain the harddisk through put. But now I am only speculating :)

/Lasse SM5GLC

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)
An: Perseus-SDR@groups.io

[...]

Werner Karn

Ingo,

the frequency response of the Perseus in default mode is absolutely flat, i.e. you will hear the audio exactly as it is broadcasted if your soundcard has a flat response as well.
Your computing power will be sufficient, however, as Lasse already mentioned, for recording and playback, harddisk speed can be a limiting factor @ 2 ms/s ( not for SSDs ).

Regards

Werner

Regards

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)

[...]

Hello Werner,

Good information and thanks for.
The harddisk is 500 Gb SSD. I don' t mentioned it.
I belive I will check the SDRDUO with the support again and going to plan if no substancell improvement visible with change.
The main Trx is K2, the Rx and the receiver sound is exellent and the audio exit is connected with fixed audio level with an good Audio Amp. All sources, SW Trx, UKW Trxand SDRDUO are connected with the amp and 2 speakers. Very huge audio improvment.Only In case of SDRDUO works it not.
Anyway, I belive the PERSEUS is a very good Rx and an improvement for my station and shack.
Thanks again for info, Werner.
Vy 73

Ingo

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)

[...]

Many thanks for helping me!

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)
An: Perseus-SDR@groups.io

[...]

barry williams

Hello Ingo,

I’ve used my Perseus and an i2 processor and Windows XP/Vista with marginal performance. It works, but you have to expect the stutters. Moving to the i5 processor pretty much ends that problem. As Lasse pointed out, it can depend on additional processes in the background. Task Manager will show you what is running and how much of your CPU cycles are being used.

As to the Perseus- it is an excellent SDR for beginners. It has controls and buttons where you would think they should be. Nico did an excellent job in the layout of the Perseus software. It is very easy to learn and get used to. That’s how I learned. I had been away from radio for 10 years, and there was nobody to help out or give advice. The Perseus manual is well written with all possible questions being answered in a straightforward way. The Perseus hardware doesn’t have gaps in coverage like some “below $1000" SDRs on the market. There aren’t any neglected facets of the complete SDR system.

When buying a SDR you are buying two things- the hardware and the software. Both should be designed well, and the Perseus has all of that. When looking at competitors be sure to look over the software too. It’s really hard to make a mistake when getting the Perseus.

Sometimes owners overlook the Perseus network. This is a freebee that Nico gave us before the kiwiSDR net began. It’s free and I use it a lot. It is true there aren’t many Perseus’ on the network, but there’s enough to give owners a great way to tune in around the globe. It sure beats the kiwiSDR interface. It’s easy to use and you get the Perseus interface, all for free.

Hope this helps,

Barry

Von: lasse moell <lasse.moell@...>
Datum: 07.08.19 18:43 (GMT+01:00)

[...]

Hello Barry,

Many thanks for helping me. Very helpful.
Sounds good to me.
Vy 73

Ingo