Topics

Who stole "Casa Lupita?"

Greetings:

I'm going to bet that someone here was lucky enough to steal today's Casa Lupita 136/250 on EBay today for $490 + shipping.

I was tempted to steal it myself, especially because this specimen was gallery framed very nicely, which is likely worth $300 if you had to frame it yourself.  If you're the one who stole it, congratulations.  You did great.

Why didn't I grab it?  Honestly, because I already have three of them, which leads me to the following speculation:

As you know, I'm of the opinion that for the most part, only 30% of collectible serigraphs are still in existence.  I doubt that's the case with Casa Lupita, because there are far more of those out there than just about any other piece.  My own suspicion is that it's a delightfully colorful piece whose sensuality is dialed down from Nagel's other pieces.  In fact, the #1 reason why men sell their Nagel pieces is because their wives don't want them hanging on their walls.  That may not be the case with Casa Lupita, where the sensuality doesn't spill over into sexuality.  As such, more were saved, fewer tossed.

That's my theory, anyway.

Daniel Avrin

I just bought the signed/numbered Playboy 30th Anniversary serigraph that was on eBay. He had it at $1200 but I asked if he'd take offers. He ended up selling it to me for $800 and cut shipping from $80 to $40. Now I need to sell my unsigned 30th Anniversary print to offset some of the cost of the new one! I'm happy but it certainly doesn't match the bargain someone got on the Casa Lupita.

On Sep 4, 2019, at 3:12 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:
[...]

Nagelcollector

Just goes to show you that the price people ask for the signed pieces can be significantly different than what they sell for.  The latter is the true market value.

Well, yes and no.

There are good times to buy and good times to sell.  The best times to buy are the worst times to sell, notably short/vacation weeks, holidays and the two weeks before taxes are due.  Year ago, I needed to replace a phone system that cost about US$6,500 brand new. The replacement system would have been slightly less, but as it happened, the exact same system, with 16 extra phones, was being sold on EBay -- the auction ending at 10 PM on New Year's Eve.

Guess who stayed home that year?

I sat at my screen with my finger on the trigger with the bid at $600. At 9:59:59, I bid $800 to make sure I'd not be outbid.  With shipping, I stole the whole thing for US$650 or so.  It was a great time to be buying; a bad time to be selling.

Again, it seems as if Casa Lupita is one of the few pieces in greater supply, plus the seller chose the wrong time to sell.

To me, this one got away well below market value. The guy who really got hurt was the other Casa Lupita, whose piece is still up there for US$1,200 -- and for US$1,500 on Craigslist.

Nagelcollector

If those pieces aren't selling, then that's not the market.  My point is that asking price is NEVER an indicator of market price--you have to look to what pieces have SOLD for.

Monica Moynihan

The other piece has been up posted in Seattle for weeks and we all know about it. Bottom line is it is too high.

The latest one had at least 22 watchers and was on for a week on a real time bidding process. That's enough. It was middle of the day and it was discussed in the forums. I think the buyer did well as long as it arrives safely. In fact, I was in front of my computer (somewhat occupied) but considered it seriously, (I would have picked it up) and maybe had a chance to decline it in person. I did think it would go for $600.
Picking it up was the only way for me, on this one.  It's probably in fine condition, but the seller was completely unwilling to take out glass, he wouldn't accept any returns at all. Almost all my straight forward questions were answered with answers about his uncles relationship with Patrick, that the signature was witnessed and so on without answering my question. Condition please? If anything.. just so I have it in record if there is an issue.

I heard at least 3 x it was museum mounted (look that up that term is  thrown around a lot). It's been hung since the 80s in glass and when I asked him to label condition, he would not, but simply say its like it was back in the 80s just older. ?? That was not enough for me. Just older....think about it that could mean fading, or ? I just wanted his opinion in writing. He doesn't have to be a dealer pro and say VF for Very Fine but you get the idea.

Most sellers will simply say very good condition or excellent. When I pressed him (because I wanted it on record for Ebay protection too). He said he didn't want to say label it or call it pristine or fine because he was afraid I would be unhappy and added maybe I shouldn't bid if I'm uncomfortable. That was it. So red flag for me.

It could just be a communication issue for me, but it was the process of several emails. I just felt I will wait. Just an instant this one was not the one for me.

I am sure there will be another "Casa Lupita" in my lifetime. I will wait it out. It's part of the fun.

And congrats to the happy new owner. You are so lucky, lucky I didn't bid that is. jkjkjkjkjk hahahaha. May "Casa Lupita" arrive safely and perfect in your home!

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:
[...]

Monica Moynihan Perkal
Realtor, Top Producing Luxury Agent
Pinnacle Estate Properties, Inc.
24025 Park Sorrento, #110
Calabasas, CA 91302
(310) 429-2255 I DRE #01366039
"I Can Move Mountains..."

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this electronic transmission including any attached documents may contain confidential and/or privileged information and/or legal work product protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. This electronic transmission is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure, copying, distribution or dissemination of the information is prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email or phone and then immediately delete this message. Thank you.