Topics

Sky High Double Prints?

Thanks to Monica for this link to the David Lawrence Gallery's offering of some uncut double prints apparently being offered for sale. While I can understand an unsigned, unnumbered, SAS edition of Noble Gallery selling for US$450, I'm not sure about the others.  Personally, I don't understand the added value others see in uncut doubles, but I suppose that's one of those subjective things (as is so much of collectors' values).

What do you think about these double prices?

Mirage Ships (1977) US$7,800
Mother Earth (1979) US$7,000
Grunwald (1980) US$6,500
Casa Lupita (1978)  US$6,850
Silver Sunbeam (1979)  US$5,500
Park South (1979) US$7,250
Piedmont Book Company (1979)  US$5,500

And the one I REALLY don't get:
Stanley Finberg, 1979 US$3,200

Craig Blankenship

Hmmm.  I have double Malke Sage and also Grunwald.   I lost Silver Sunbeam double image in a Tornado that destroyed my home several years ago .   I never really thought about the value ....

On Sep 15, 2019, at 10:16 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Thanks to Monica for this link to the David Lawrence Gallery's offering of some uncut double prints apparently being offered for sale. While I can understand an unsigned, unnumbered, SAS edition of Noble Gallery selling for US$450, I'm not sure about the others.  Personally, I don't understand the added value others see in uncut doubles, but I suppose that's one of those subjective things (as is so much of collectors' values).

What do you think about these double prices?

Mirage Ships (1977) US$7,800
Mother Earth (1979) US$7,000
Grunwald (1980) US$6,500
Casa Lupita (1978)  US$6,850
Silver Sunbeam (1979)  US$5,500
Park South (1979) US$7,250
Piedmont Book Company (1979)  US$5,500

And the one I REALLY don't get:
Stanley Finberg, 1979 US$3,200

Cooper_Monster

1. They're extremely rare. How many have you seen for sale?

2. They're kind of cool. Some are striking as double images, like the ship.

3. You can't get what you don't ask for. You can always lower your price, but if someone shows interest, you can't all off a sudden go up. And people love a "bargain", even if you always intended on selling it for half what you asked.

Monica Moynihan

While they may be rare. These prices are not near what some have sold in recent years. And yes there have been a few.  Just for simple reference the Just Looking Gallery had the Double "Papermill" never framed and Mint signed on market for quite a long time at $1500. I finally had it delivered happily at beginning of 2013 and paid $1800 with it delivered and nicely framed. At that time I remember thinking it was high;  however, I did want to add at least one double and still do think it is the best of the doubles, due its composition with no space in between. Prices like the ones at David Lawrence will most likely keep buyers from even making offers as they are astronomical. To put things into perspective...An original acrylic on board just sold for the top prices! Which would you rather have for say 8k?

And I know a member of our group picked up the Double Mirage ship for a Steal of $300.00 at a the same Clark's Fine Art auction Rob and I purchased our 33 lifetime posters. Yes, foolish of me not to go after that as well but my focus was elsewhere successfully. I am happy to know one of our us took it.

Just for reference I have included some pics of mine that were provided from JLG's website before I purchased it. Maybe David Lawrence is completely unaware of these past sales. Might be worth a member letting the gallery know to your advantage in a negotiation and they might be able to persuade the seller lower. Worth a try anyway. If a well known gallery was selling PaperMill and it sold for $1500 ($1800 framed and delivered) in 2012 what is a mint double worth today?

I had coffee with David a couple of months ago.  Nice guy, but now I'm wondering if he took our conversation a bit too far.  I brought him up to speed about the Nagel market, of which he seemed unaware.  Could be coincidence.

Nagelcollector

Which just goes to show that you that asking price for art often has no bearing on the actual market value of art work.

I don't know I'd go that far. It's certainly reflective of the trend in prices and values.

Heather Arender

Art is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay :)

On Sep 16, 2019, at 6:58 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

I don't know I'd go that far. It's certainly reflective of the trend in prices and values.

I have to agree with Alex. Asking price is not the reflective of market value. As a Realtor I use this example, appraisers can only use sales prices to calculate their value. A Realtor might review active or even pending listings to better understand competition or understand if inventory is low or high for a certain property.

(like our flood of Mirage lifetime poster listings recently which seemed to allow some to get her more cheaply...that is surely not the norm) But $500 for a state proof. Nicely done to the buyer.

But with more regards to art, we consistently see skyrocketing prices on Ebay for near worthless CNs. We see lifetime posters sitting sometimes over 2k for years. Once in a blue moon one might sell (because a buyer just had to have that Texas and is uneducated on actual values or simply doesn't care), but that is not reflective of a true market.

By the way, the litho reproduction of Texas "Rio, Classic Visions version is the #1 selling print from the Nagel estate, but we all know it is not simply because it is the best image from Nagel. There is a subculture to that piece and popularity simply because of its connection with the still touring and popular group Duran Duran. It sells consistently.

If someone here wants to really analyze more of the trends try espressobeans.com and you can track prices there pulled from sites. It doesn't always show everything but it will show trends and if you put in the closed Ebay listing number from the a buyers offer accepted  it will show you the ACTUAL sales price of the listing. The site is in process of an update. It tracked Cleo on a few sales. One showed over 2k but the average seemed to be in the 1000-1100 range. Its fun to follow anyway.

La410 is the one that taught me that and he does the best job of trying to input sales. So thank you to him.