Topics

Playboy 30th Anniversary print value?

Jen

Hello,

I have a Nagel Playboy 30th Anniversary print (serigraph?) that is signed and dated in white pencil by Nagel in December 1983.

The print is in perfect condition.

Does anyone know what the possible value is? It is very confusing to figure out how Nagels prints are valued.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Avrin

Probably $1000-$1300 perfect and unframed. Out of curiosity what is the number? #/250?

Nagelcollector

Is it personalized?

Monica Moynihan

Jen,

Any of the lifetime signed and numbered serigraphs in excellent /very good condition seem to be getting anywhere from $400-$1000. There are exceptions to every rule however and some images are simply more popular than others. For example two signed Casa Lupita recently sold on Ebay in presumably excellent condition for about $500. Another for $400 for with some matt burn. This is a loved piece and typically harder to come by but the market showed us the correct price. (I'm sure Rob will scream here because he loves it!) There is a Casa Lupita on Ebay over 1k that has been sitting.

An excellent "Mirage" State Edition also sold in the $500 price range, usually getting more but I think there were just too manysale at the time. That is a premium piece and can get more.

I personally have sold two #1s that were mint for $1200 but that is because the buyer wanted the #1 and the two I sold were premium images. "Mirage" and "Mother Earth's Paris," as pink as can be.

A "Park South" might get a little more due to popularity ($700-800). A "Texas" (probably the most popular due to the Duran Duran album culture) I have seen get over 1k but that is not typical in my opinion.

It really depends on how many are available at any given time and definitely its condition is most important. (Was it Previously framed, are their scuffs in the black hair? Is there any fading?) That piece is hard to find without scuffs in the black. Also know that the "Playboy 13th Anniversary" piece also had a very large signed in screen edition (more than double the average 1200 sis releases). Playboy had 2500 unsigned so it is an easier piece to find if someone just wants the image and does not care about a signature.

I know this is not an exact number but if you are considering selling throw it out to our group and see what comes in or put it up on Ebay say at minimum reserve $400 (I wouldn't sell it for less if Mint) or so with an auction and you will get a real buying price.  My advice is ....Just do it when there are not multiple listings of the same piece, under 1k.

Swimmersgirl-Monica

--
Monica Moynihan Perkal
Realtor, Top Producing Luxury Agent

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this electronic transmission including any attached documents may contain confidential and/or privileged information and/or legal work product protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. This electronic transmission is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure, copying, distribution or dissemination of the information is prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email or phone and then immediately delete this message. Thank you.

Cooper_Monster

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that the print in question is not a S/N, but rather a SIS with an additional date and signature by Nagel. I believe all (or almost all) S/N on the serigraphs were done in pencil, not white pencil, and none of them were ever dated, which the OP mentions, making this a signed SIS.

So the question is, what is a SIS with an additional signature worth?

Jen

It does not have a number. Just signed and dated in white pencil. It is professionally double glass float framed ( I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing) and has been safely stored, in a climate controlled environment for over 20 years.

The pics below show the framed print against a white sheet behind it.

Jen

It is not personalized.

Monica Moynihan

Daniel, wow if this piece is going for that number consistently than Rob and I own a mint #1 from Karl and maybe we should ask $2500 :-)..

I’m underselling.

Rob?

Monica

Sent from Monica Perkal's iPhone while out busy working for you.

On Oct 1, 2019, at 10:07 AM, Monica Moynihan via Groups.Io <monicaperkal@...> wrote:

[...]

Monica,

Thank you for all the information!

Jen

Jen:

If you scan the archives here, you'll read all kinds of discussions about value and market pricing.  Everyone, including me, has his own code or values, which is what makes the discussions so lively and informative.  I, for example, won't touch anything that isn't either an original or a lifetime, signed, numbered and in pristine condition.  But others have standards that are just as adamant and specific.

Among the topics I believe we all share are these:

1.  A "signed in screen" print is generally not held in high value. Its numbers are higher and the signature is printed into the piece rather than being in pencil.

2.  A piece that's been personally autographed does not reflect the same value as a signed, limited edition.  In just about all types of collectibles, you'll find that even a basic autograph's value is lowered when it's personalized or dedicated.

As for the value of this piece, my personal opinion is that it would sell for a few hundred bucks, if it's in good shape and because while not a signed limited edition, it does bear Nagel's autograph.

Your mileage may differ.

Ok well it’s good that it is not personalized but it is still part of the sis edition not the s:n edition.

So simply what is an autograph worth on top of a sis price .

There was some discussion here on this last week. The consensus seemed to be not much but it probably makes it more interesting/collectible to some. And no personalization is way better imo than having someone else name that had been gifted or dedicated to.

Sent from Monica Perkal's iPhone while out busy working for you.

On Oct 1, 2019, at 10:59 AM, Jen via Groups.Io <jennrlloyd@...> wrote:

It is not personalized.