Topics

Mother & Child

Greetings:

The other day, met with another Nagel collector, discussing Nagel's attitudes toward his models, with particular focus on women. To be sure, almost none of his pieces reflect a sense of human warmth -- it's part of his work's sensual allure.  More than that, I mentioned, was that there are no pieces with even a hint of maternal instinct.  My friend agreed, pointing to the one piece he or anyone else knows about, which is the one below.  Note how even in this rare appearance of a child with a woman, both are disconnected.  That's how it is with most multi-model pieces:  they tend to look past each other, rather than at each other.

This particular piece is an ink on board illustration for a paying advertising client.  You won't see this one in any books.