Topics

More frauds popping up: Two Heidis

Greetings:

Just as predicted, as the Nagel market re-emerges, the number of fraudulent or sub-standard pieces are coming to auction at an increased pace.  We've already seen one auction house try to pass off a Lori with a fake signature.  This month, two A/Ps of Heidi are up for bid, but I doubt that either of them are in collectible condition.

Although both seem to be legitimately signed, one piece has a serious rip on its left side; the other appears to be severely discolored.  Both lend credibility to the theory that few Nagel pieces remain in true collectible condition.  I've long maintained that 60% to 70% of all Nagel serigraphs have been damaged, destroyed or discarded.  The fact that the auction house has little to add to its descriptions -- including warning bidders about the damage -- only adds to that theory's credibility.

Be careful out there.

. .

You forgot the Dyansen with foxing at auction.

Didn't forget....probably missed it.  But it just adds to the severity of the warning!

Cooper_Monster

As the buyer of the undamaged piece, I can say that you were wrong about this one. To my untrained eye, it's in perfectly fine shape, assuming it's genuine, of course, which I don't have the ability to prove one way or the other. It doesn't mean that every Nagel that was in this auction was good, it wasn't, as I discovered on reading this board, but this one in particular was poorly photographed and appears to be a deal at $550 plus fees and shipping. Not sure how that happened, as the torn one sold for the same price, but sometimes you get lucky.

Rips and tears are easy to spot; Yellowing not so much.  Earlier this year, a number of professional art auctioneers were amazed when a Nagel original illustration sold at auction -- despite its fairly obvious yellowing.  One auctioneer flat out refused to sell it after lifting back the matte to see the stark contrast between the original whites and the yellowed portions. The other sold it online to someone who probably STILL hasn't peeled back the matting.

For your sake, I hope you got a nice, collectible Heidi.  She's gorgeous and among collectors' favorites! The latest one at auction is a disaster.

Cooper_Monster

I hope so, but for something there are only 90 of, there seem to be an awful lot of them showing up lately.

I note that the latest one has incorrect dimensions reported, I suspect that's a typo.

Craig Blankenship

I own two of them.  I purchased years ago .  Both are museum framed .  One is hanging and the other is stored.

On Jul 17, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Cooper_Monster <rkanyok@...> wrote:

I hope so, but for something there are only 90 of, there seem to be an awful lot of them showing up lately.

I note that the latest one has incorrect dimensions reported, I suspect that's a typo.

Yes, there were only 90 numbered Heidi but there were also up to 30 more, as A/Ps, P/Ps and maybe even S/Ps.  In those days, they'd squeeze another 10 each beyond the numbered editions for extra sales.

Regardless, 90 is a great quantity for collectors, especially if you share my belief that of those, it's likely that only 30% were not discarded, damaged or destroyed. I'd guess there are only about 40 of Heidi in collectible condition.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen

Manuel Rodriguez

Rob, I completely agree with your assessment that only 30% have survived unscathed. The funny part about Heidi is that she sold terribly in the Nagel-preferred galleries when it was issued, my art-gallery owner friend couldn't GIVE them away. Now they're among his most-loved images. I adore my Heidi.