Topics

MASK and anything about MASK

Monica Moynihan

As promised, I am posting some pictures of my new "Mask" piece. I purchased her about three weeks ago from a brokerage. The seller took excellent care of her.  I won't begin to talk about history in the fashion that Nagel Angel does (I will save those posts for his expertise and at our other forum), but I know this one is very hard to find. I think we don't see her come up for sale because once you see MASK in real life you can not sell it.  I presume people are just holding on. She is stunning. The impact and mere size of her face had me stunned at her unveiling which I did for the first time at the framer.  The last pic shows her scale which I was impressed with as the framer is in the photo.

MASK
July 1980
Serigraph, six colors
40" x 29½"
50 s/n and 10 artist's proofs
There is at least one uncut, unsigned Mask sold by the estate.

If you have been in good fortune to get one please share pictures in this post. I would love to see how many of us Really have her.
(Manny please post yours here again for the thread. This post should be about MASK and anything regarding it).

Thank you,

Monica (Swimmergirl)

Susan del Barrio

Congratulations!! It’s beautiful!!  Being on of Nagel’s models, I shot a cover with Tom Stabler the Art Director of Playboy of mask with a wonderful knock up of the Mask, unfortunately it never made it.

On Oct 18, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Monica Moynihan <monicaperkal@...> wrote:

[...]

<maskunframedJPG.JPG>
<Maskcloseup.JPG>
<masksignature.JPG>
<masknumber.JPG>
<MaskframedJPG.JPG>
<MaskscaleJPG.JPG>

DancinCrow01@gmail.com

Wow, your Mask is stunning but I’m curious as to why you would not have used non reflective acrylic for it?  Congratulations on your purchase.
Dancincrow

On Oct 18, 2019, at 8:03 PM, Susan del Barrio via Groups.Io <susanolar@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the compliments. I have three framed pieces in my home with non reflective acrylic done by another artist in a Media Room. I didn't want too much glare or reflection from my TV screen. Honestly. I regretted the decision for these images the moment I hung them.

The other artist Craig Drake also does some fine line work for movie based theme screen prints.) The non-reflective acrylic it slightly seems to diffuses or mutes lines (which is what Nagel does), as does Drake. My images always seem just slightly "blurred" and less vibrant. Maybe I am just picky, but that is my opinion.  It also seems to collect dust more (static). I did not want any of that on my Nagels. This piece will also go in a room with no harsh light and little sunlight really. The framer also offers a guarantee if I'm not happy.

--
Monica Moynihan Perkal
Realtor, Top Producing Luxury Agent

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this electronic transmission including any attached documents may contain confidential and/or privileged information and/or legal work product protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. This electronic transmission is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure, copying, distribution or dissemination of the information is prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email or phone and then immediately delete this message. Thank you.

Monica Moynihan

Thanks Susan. Oh I'd love to see those photos Susan. Any chance you have any material / copies? Please share if you do.

Manuel Rodriguez

Monica:

Thank you for sharing your Mask with us and the world. It is visually stunning and your description of its effect on a casual viewer is spot on: it’s breathtaking.

Because of this nearly overwhelming impact when viewed from up close, I also believe it is never sold or circulated. There are simply no other Nagel serigraphs that contain this type of visual power or the ability to reach into ones psyche the way that Mask does. I believe the mask itself represents the many layers and walls, both physical and psychological, in a person’s (the woman’s) ability to remain completely unknown to anyone, including her closest ally’s. The Mask represents that proverbial wall, mostly purposely built, that she and man cloak themselves in through false self-conceptions and representations to others. The Mask represents an awareness within her that is nearly sinister, a presence that insists that she will control and command nearly every interaction between her and the outside world, and not always for altruistic or meritorious purposes.

The Mask, ultimately, is your own reflection being mirrored back through this persona with multiple identities, as a representation of every human’s myriad identities. She certainly seems to suggest that she can wear any of these identities willingly and at the touch of a switch. She turns them on and off at will, depending on her need. And you, the viewer will never really know her, you will know only what she allows you to know, and nothing more. And you will be quite happy with that knowledge. We could probably write an entire chapter here forensically de-imaging this serigraph and filling in the blanks of her possible personality disorders.

Mask is a cold, stark, brooding image that demands much of the viewer. It is not for the faint of heart. It will threaten some of your most cherished concepts about yourself if you allow it to really penetrate your psyche. It is also a beautiful, complex, rich and colorful image that reveals that she has much fun with wanton abandon and disregard for what others say about her.

The only other Nagel image that radiates the same power is CLEO, which was at one point following Nagel’s death wildly popular because of the overwhelming visual journey one could embark on with her. Cleo is also in command always, in charge and quite sure of herself, but reveals hints of vulnerability that Mask does not.

Please find attached the Mask images from my serigraph. The photos are poor quality due to the lighting conditions. There is no yellowing of the surface of the image, it has plexi on it which might bias the viewer’s sensory input. The white is quite bright and the colors “pop”.  It is museum mounted using only archival matt boards and Japanese hinges. These allow the hinges to immediately tear if the print is severely jostled or dropped, and prevents the paper itself from tearing.

Thanks again to Monica for initiating this opportunity to display the ONLY 2 known Masks that we have been able to find.  This is the purpose of Rob’s board, to share and impart facts, wisdom, and knowledge for the enjoyment of others. I myself have learned much reading Rob’s, Monica’s and other experts posts whose names I forget here.

Rob, thanks for the opportunity to interact on this board.

Manny