Topics

"Joan Collins" canvas up for auction

Yep, the canvas of Joan Collins is up for auction at Christie's auction house!

Expected to fetch US$70,000 to $90,000

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. For years, this piece was referred to as "Just Joan" due to its unpopularity.

The last time Joan went up for auction:

Nagelcollector

I quite like this piece.  I've never heard to referred to as "Just Joan."   Why do you say it's unpopular?

Cooper_Monster

Thanks for posting that and saving me the effort of looking it up. I was curious what it went for 2 years ago - this should be an interesting test of the market.

And didn't realize the sale was today! Went for $118,750.

I actually devote a fair amount about this in the book.

Joan Collins was the first horse out of the gate in Karl Bornstein's latter day brainstorm of positioning Patrick Nagel as "America's premiere celebrity portrait artist."  Karl's idea was to create a whole series of celebrity portraits, which would be issued as signed, limited edition serigraphs, thus extending his and Pat's fortunes for the next several years.   Given the 1980s' obsession with excess and celebrity, it wasn't a bad idea. In fact, Patrick was well into the process when he died, leaving some roughs of Mick Jagger that (obviously) never knew completion.

Karl was so hot on this idea that he battled with both Pat and Jeff Wasserman about the number of pieces in the run: Karl wanted to issue 750 pieces, while Jeff and Pat insisted it be limited to 250.

The whole celebrity portrait thing landed with a thud, however, because Karl failed to realize that while people loved anonymous, sensual, stylized women on their walls, almost nobody wanted to convert his living room into a shrine to Joan Collins -- or any celebrity, for that matter.

As such, sales for Joan Collins sputtered, despite her plugging it on the Tonight Show with Joan Rivers (video is at the book's website), and Karl's arranging a press conference featuring Pat and the insufferable Joan, the piece pretty much sat in galleries like a piece of lox.  The notion of Pat as "America's celebrity portrait artist" pretty much fizzled after that.

Heather Arender

Curious myself? Granted not as popular as say Kristen or Cleo but I find people are often interested in purchasing Joan if in good condition.

On Sep 27, 2019, at 4:10 PM, Nagelcollector <alexchun65@...> wrote:

I quite like this piece.  I've never heard to referred to as "Just Joan."   Why do you say it's unpopular?

Heather Arender

Ha, you answered while I sent. Thank you

On Sep 27, 2019, at 4:28 PM, heather.arender@... wrote:

 Curious myself? Granted not as popular as say Kristen or Cleo but I find people are often interested in purchasing Joan if in good condition.

On Sep 27, 2019, at 4:10 PM, Nagelcollector <alexchun65@...> wrote:

I quite like this piece.  I've never heard to referred to as "Just Joan."   Why do you say it's unpopular?

Nagelcollector

At the same time, when Nagel limited editions were really hot, Collins was one of the higher priced pieces on the Mirage price list.

Yup.  Joan was priced higher, reflecting Karl's vision of the Nagel celebrity portrait line.

Apparently, Joan hasn't lost her appeal.  Good news for collectors!

Craig Blankenship

I wonder what the acrylic on canvas “Man in Pink Shirt “ would fetch at auction ?   I forget the exact dimensions but it’s 46 or 48” x 40 some odd inches .  It’s a large canvas with the typical wood backing

On Sep 27, 2019, at 8:54 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Apparently, Joan hasn't lost her appeal.  Good news for collectors!

<Screen shot 2019-09-27 at 6.53.40 PM.png>

If I were to guess, I'd bet it would be somewhere around the US$50K level, give or take.  Nagel's male pieces historically haven't sold for values as high as his females.  Then again, a lot depends on timing. I was taken aback when Joanna Cassidy barely cleared US$65K.

Craig Blankenship

There aren’t many male canvas pieces.   The model that sat for man in pink shirt also posed in one other canvas with another male.   I own Man in pink shirt large acrylic on canvas and also acrylic on board Seated Man .  I purchased them from the Nagel Estate .

Off the top of your head can you think of other canvas male pieces and what they actually sold for?