Topics

Is this a legit Artists Proof Seated Man?

flyinggardengnome

Hey there

I stumbled upon this Seated Man on eBay. But I was skeptical about its authenticity.

So far, all the Artist Proof (A/P) version of Nagel arts, that I’ve encountered, were all signed as A/P. But for this one, it was written out in full letters. I am not sure whether all A/P versions of Seated Man were signed this way, or is it only this piece that got the treatment?

I would like to sought the wise opinions of longtime Nagel collectors, as to whether this piece is a legitimate Artist Proof or a fake. I hope with all my heart that this is not because this is really a rare piece to come across.

Also, it is listed USD 7999. Is it really worth that much for a A/P Seated Man, now in November 2018? If not, what is the market value now for it then?

Thanks for reading!

Regards
Chun Ping

From what you've supplied here, it looks legit to me.  Seated Man floats around at all kinds of prices.  At US$799, if it's real, it's a fair price in my opinion, with one proviso:

If you search back in the archives here, you'll find a discussion we had about Seated Man and Nagel's male model pieces in general.  Short story is that Nagel's male model pieces generally don't bring as much as his female pieces do.  Probably for the same reason that his sexier poses tend to bring more than the classic beauty pieces do.

I seem to recall that Seated Man is a fairly limited run, as well.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

Craig Blankenship

Is it $799 or $7999?

On Nov 15, 2018, at 11:22 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

From what you've supplied here, it looks legit to me.  Seated Man floats around at all kinds of prices.  At US$799, if it's real, it's a fair price in my opinion, with one proviso:

If you search back in the archives here, you'll find a discussion we had about Seated Man and Nagel's male model pieces in general.  Short story is that Nagel's male model pieces generally don't bring as much as his female pieces do.  Probably for the same reason that his sexier poses tend to bring more than the classic beauty pieces do.

I seem to recall that Seated Man is a fairly limited run, as well.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

flyinggardengnome

It’s $7999. I think Rob mistyped it. :-)

Yup!  My bad.

At US$7,999, I'd pass.  There are owners of the piece on this list who tried to sell it for far less but had no takers...

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

Craig Blankenship

Really?  How much less?   I own the original seated man acrylic on board and was wanting an A/P for display purposes .

On Nov 16, 2018, at 9:08 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Yup!  My bad.

At US$7,999, I'd pass.  There are owners of the piece on this list who tried to sell it for far less but had no takers...

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

Not sure.  You can always write a new post asking members here about it.