Topics

Double signed or doubletalk?

Greetings:

One more reason why everyone should be careful buying or selling Nagel pieces, even from galleries:

This week, EBay has a listing for a Galerie Michael that it claims to be double-signed.  It's listed for just under US$3,000.

This offer is from a gallery, and they really should know better.  The print is actually an SIS (apparently that's the "first" signature) and then personally dated and autographed in pencil by Patrick Nagel (that's the second signature).

As we've discussed, an SIS is just that: an SIS.  It doesn't matter who signed it or when it was signed. The fact is that it's not a limited edition.  It's a large, beautiful page of an autograph book.  An art gallery should (and probably does) know better than to try to pawn it off as a legit piece.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen

Craig Blankenship

It would be interesting to know the event or circumstance that Nagel signed and dated and SIS .   I will tell you I know he had done that before.

On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:35 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

[...]

<Screen shot 2018_10_20 at 8.29.23 AM.png>

Yup.  Nagel would often show up at gallery openings and hand sign SIS posters as a favor to his fans.  Whether he knew his signature would add nothing to their collectibility is unknown, but definitely consistent with how others perceived his personality:  generous and kind to his friends and fans.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen

Nagelcollector

A couple of things, despite not being signed and number, this piece is still a limited edition (12 sis), just not a "signed limited edition."  And despite not being part of the signed limited edition, I'd pay more for it than if it were not signed.  So I disagree that it doesn't add to its collectibility.

Well, you might, but I'm sure the collecting market at large would. One of the quickest ways to devalue a collectible is by personalizing it.  When it comes to collecting, pristine is the watchword.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen

Craig Blankenship

I get both points.   I would say it depends on your reason for collecting .   I don’t collect to sell .   But in my way of thinking, if a piece had only 12 SIS and one has his actual sig and date ....to me , that is a coveted piece for my collection .

Not to sound snooty , but if anyone dare comment to me about a piece I was selling , the price would double .   But I ain’t selling , period .   I would take the SIS and the penciled sig and date and know I have something that means something to me.  Nothing else matters .    I think it’s overpriced but I would take it .