Topics

July 27, 2019 Auction of tempting Nagel collectibles

Greetings:

On July 27, 2019, there are a number of collectible Nagel serigraphs and one illustration that are up for auction.  Among them is a Kristen, Gray Lady, and an oversized Collector's Gallery (it's five feet across and one of my favorites).

That's the good news.  The bad news is that not all auction houses are reputable and sometimes their item descriptions can be a little sketchy.  So do your homework before you bid.  If you happen to live in the Los Angeles area, I strongly advise you to visit the auction house in person before bidding.

You can see these sought-after pieces and more at https://www.liveauctioneers.com when you search "Patrick Nagel."

Cooper_Monster

Interesting provenance.

. .

Do  we remember  the last gray lady went for? Was it around 3000 time shipping and auction fees.  I just cant remember

I don't recall, but if you can snag a genuine, pristine Gray Lady for less than US$4,500, you're doing good.

At the moment, Kristen is burning up since the canvas just sold for US$240,000.

Manuel Rodriguez

If that's correct, then we're back to the post-death hypo-manic pricing that was rooted in irrational pricing and emotion. This must me another cyclical episode of irrational exuberance. I regret having sold some very rare limiteds for rational pricing, including  Grey Lady and Venetian Blinds. Human emotion is completely unpredictable.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 10:39 PM robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:
I don't recall, but if you can snag a genuine, pristine Gray Lady for less than US$4,500, you're doing good.

At the moment, Kristen is burning up since the canvas just sold for US$240,000.

Possibly, Manny.

Or maybe we're seeing a real market adjustment that finally recognizes the true value of Nagel's work.  The whole reason why I wrote the book was to help restore the value of Nagel's legacy and work.  Whether coincidence or not, the ultimate objective does seem to be well on its way to achievement.

. .

Remember  he had an eye for true perfection.  All this was done without the aid of computer. He was a true master artist.  Anyone who looks at his work he has done will be impressed .( one doesnt have to like subject)

Correct!
Nagel died the year the first Apple Macintosh was introduced. Everything he did was analog and the process was grueling, especially for his assistants.  In fact, to illustrate just how much work went into it, I devote an entire chapter of The Artist Who Loved Women to describing all the pains Nagel took to produce his pieces.

This was no point and click thing.

. .

I so want Venetian blinds. Not sure I can find one and if I do at a price I can afford.   Here is my
Kristen.  Took over year to negotiate.

Craig Blankenship

I purchased the art because I liked it .  I went through a period where you couldn’t give it away , figuratively speaking .   I’m certainly not unhappy prices are up.

On Jul 16, 2019, at 9:13 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Correct!
Nagel died the year the first Apple Macintosh was introduced. Everything he did was analog and the process was grueling, especially for his assistants.  In fact, to illustrate just how much work went into it, I devote an entire chapter of The Artist Who Loved Women to describing all the pains Nagel took to produce his pieces.

This was no point and click thing.

Congratulations on your Kristen.  She's a keeper!

Edited

Venetian is a wonderful piece. I love mine. Your Kristen is gorgeous and I am sure it was well worth it.

Monica Moynihan

Cooper_Monster and others. Please take note like Rob has said make sure you ask questions and really look at those pictures or call the auction house if you can't be there.

The Patrick pieces are not from Arnold, just FYI. The auction house added a few other collections to this auction from other places. These did NOT come from Arnold.

I saw the pieces today and I am not here to dissuade anyone but I wanted to inform those that may be confused.