Topics

Playboy Mansion Invites

Jason

I work with a fellow designer who was lovely enough to gift me these Hef invites. Former Playboy Art Direct Kerig Pope is a member of her family. He apparently vetted the many artists who came through the door at Playboy magazine.

Kerig Pope, one of the last survivors I was able to interview for the book, was extremely helpful in recalling the events that led Nagel to his wonderful relationship with Playboy.  His contributions to the book laid the foundation for that part of Nagel's life story.

Pope was one of the originals who made Playboy as incredible as it was, for as long as he was there. The brand and its products degenerated badly after his and Hef's departure. Everyone I ever talked with had nothing but great things to say about Kerig.

Jason

Her family holds a serigraph with a signed dedication to Kerig. I've always stopped short of inquiring, as I know it's near and dear to her. Out of personal curiosity, does a personalized signature affect the valuation of S/N editions?

Well, that's one of those counter-intuitive issues that affects most collectibles:

As a rule, anything personally signed tends to be devalued by the personalization of the autograph.

Collectibles that are issued as a series are just that: collectible because they're part of a series. Nagel often personally signed non-collectibles for fans at gallery openings, usually personalizing, dating and signing the piece for them.  As such, those pieces (as with all collectibles) carry a more personal value to the recipient than they would on the open market.

It's not uncommon to see non-collectibles marketed as "rare, signed" pieces by Nagel, which actually turn out to be like the ones described above.

Bottom line: If it's signed to you, it's valuable to you. But on the open market, personalization tends to detract from an item's value.