Topics

Trust nobody - especially auction houses

Greetings:

Another cautionary note to all of you serious buyers and collectors: Just because it's listed in an auction doesn't mean the auction house knows its ass from third base. I have personally been banned for calling out one local auction house when it tried to pass off an obivous Nagel forgery.  This one, however, goes one better:

The art is clearly not Patrick Nagel. It's probably a Mukai, Lael or some other poser's.  The listing even boasts that it's signed, but the signature doesn't even come close to Nagel's.

Be careful out there.

. .

It's a Dennis Mukai.  I think the print is called Josie but not 100 percent on print name

DancinCrow01@gmail.com

Hi Rob
This serigraph is  Janet Jones~Gretzky Playboy Art by: Dennis Mukai - Serigraph.
There is also one listed on Letgo for $550.  I did send an email to the Auction site but it amazes me how they have NO CLUE of what they’re selling without doing any research.

Thanks for your site, I love it
Dancincrow

On Jun 22, 2019, at 11:40 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Greetings:

Another cautionary note to all of you serious buyers and collectors: Just because it's listed in an auction doesn't mean the auction house knows its ass from third base. I have personally been banned for calling out one local auction house when it tried to pass off an obivous Nagel forgery.  This one, however, goes one better:

The art is clearly not Patrick Nagel. It's probably a Mukai, Lael or some other poser's.  The listing even boasts that it's signed, but the signature doesn't even come close to Nagel's.

Be careful out there.

<Screen shot 2019-06-22 at 9.35.08 AM.png>

DancinCrow01@gmail.com

Yes, it’s a Dennis Mukai, called “Janet Jones - Gretzkt Playboy art”
Dancincrow

On Jun 22, 2019, at 12:59 PM, DancinCrow01@... via Groups.Io <dancincrow01@...> wrote:

[...]

Cooper_Monster

To clarify, the title of this piece is "Jonesy", 360 S/N, 75 AP. Published in 1987 by Mirage. Yes, it is of Janet Jones Gretzky, although technically, it's really of Janet Jones, as she didn't marry Wayne Gretzky until 1988.

As for the snide comment that Mukai was a Nagel poser, although he did take Nagel's spot at Playboy after Nagel's death, he can hardly be mistaken for him except by total idiots. He has a completely different style. Is Nagel a Vargas poser, since he followed Vargas at Playboy? There are Nagel imitators - Mukai wasn't one of them, although he was Nagel's student.

Cooper:

Sorry, but on the matter of Mukai, you're just flat out wrong. If you've read the book, you know that Mukai was a student of Patrick's who initially based his success on his ability to mimic Nagel's work.  In fact, Patrick used to introduce Dennis as "the guy who does Nagel better than Nagel."  You'll also recall that Karl Bornstein tricked Mukai into signing an exclusive contract and then refused to publish any of Dennis's work because he feared the competition would detract from his investment in Nagel.

It's all in the book.

What's not in the book is the story of how Karl Bornstein negotiated with another  artist who was even better than Mukai at duplicating Nagel, during the critical period when Bornstein's partnership with Nagel was about to break up. At the last minute, so the story goes, Karl managed to keep the deal together by granting Patrick a 5% interest in Mirage.  That story is not in the book, because it could not be corroborated by enough sources. That other artist, by the way, is still around and I've seen his Nagel work. It is frighteningly similar to Nagel's.

This is not to say Mukai hasn't any talent. He certainly does. He's reinvented himself many times since the Nagel days and continues to do so.

Cooper_Monster

Mukai was a student of Patrick's who initially based his success on his ability to mimic Nagel's work.  In fact, Patrick used to introduce Dennis as "the guy who does Nagel better than Nagel."

So Mukai was doing what art students have done for the past 500 years - and he's guilty of being a ""poser" because of that? How many works out there by Rembrandt are from him and how many his students? Debate rages. Michelangelo started off by copying other artists before developing his own style, which when you get down to it, wasn't all that different from where he started, he was just better at it than everyone else. Hell, Jeff Koons, a man of limited artistic ability but infinite talent at self-promotion, has made a career of passing off other artist's work as his own - but he supplied the "vision". It does raise the question of how many of Nagel's works are actually by someone else (at least in part), perhaps none, but perhaps Mukai, but that's pretty common nowadays with the "factory" system and widely accepted.

Any work I've seen by Mukai under his name is sufficiently different in style that I don't think he deserves the title "poser" - he's hardly Robert Blue. It's certainly further from Nagel than the Impressionists were from each other - and they copied from each other all the time.

Posers be posers.

Cooper_Monster

Posers be posers

I see we've been reduced to the ironclad logic of Taylor Swift.

Shake it off.

No, it's just that your argument is misplaced. Of course lots of artists studied others. But all the others you mentioned went on to produce their own styles over time. None that I'm aware of made a career of imitating other great masters.

. .

Mukai was paid by his boss to paint like Nagel.  We all do things we don't like at times it doesnt mean we are a bad person.  Anyway I just got text from  friend who.wants to.sell a Mukai ( it's also ok to like other artist). Wondering what's a reasonable price for the following  AP.

A.  Nobody said anything about anyone being a bad person.
B.  Not sure to whom you're referring regarding Mukai being paid to paint like Nagel.  By the time Nagel had died, and Mukai was hired by Playboy, he had already changed his style significantly.

Cooper_Monster

Just found this on Dennis Mukai's site - apparently he was paid by Playboy to paint like Nagel, though you can see he clearly put his own spin on it. It's a five piece giclée suite, edition of 75 of his early Playboy illustrations. First I've seen of his work in this style - and his style has changed a lot over the years. Constantly reinventing himself. You sort of wonder what Nagel would have done if he didn't pass away so young.

https://www.dennismukai.com/

Yep, this is what I meant by Mukai distancing himself from the whole Nagel style.  Dennis is no dope. He was young when Bornstein hoodwinked him, but by the time Nagel had died, he'd figured out there was no future in being the guy who "does Nagel better than Nagel."

Over the years he's evolved through a bunch of different styles. Last time I saw him, he was premiering his newest stuff, which is sort of like scratchboard art.

Susan del Barrio

He no Nagel that’s for sure!! Nice work though.

On Jun 25, 2019, at 7:33 PM, Cooper_Monster <rkanyok@...> wrote:

Just found this on Dennis Mukai's site - apparently he was paid by Playboy to paint like Nagel, though you can see he clearly put his own spin on it. It's a five piece giclée suite, edition of 75 of his early Playboy illustrations. First I've seen of his work in this style - and his style has changed a lot over the years. Constantly reinventing himself. You sort of wonder what Nagel would have done if he didn't pass away so young.

https://www.dennismukai.com/

<MukaiRestrospective.jpg>