Topics

Fake "Gray Lady" on EBay?

 

Greetings:

As you know, Gray Lady is one of Nagel's most sought-after collectible serigraphs. Only 90 were made (not counting the X/Ps) and nobody knows how many of those are still around.  One thing we do know is that more than one Gray Lady has been faked, counterfeited and palmed off to unsuspecting dupes who were lured into what they thought was a great deal.

This may be one of them.

On EBay, there's a Gray Lady that seems a little weird.  Despite the seller's claim that he "contacted the Nagel gallery and spoke to his wife Jennifer; She confirmed that this serigraph is a limited edition. 1 of 90 signed and numbered published in 3/1982," he doesn't explain why Nagel's signature appears in the dark portion of the image, instead of in pencil on the white border where genuine Gray Lady is signed.  Also, there is no photo of the piece's number.  Finally, there's no mention of the piece's dimensions.

Did I mention the seller lists the artist's name as Richard Nagel?

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Heather Arender
 

Isn’t that interesting. Always when buying artwork ask for photo of entire artwork, along with closeup of Edition number and signature. I like to always have them resend me dimensions as well 😁🤪


On Jan 30, 2019, at 8:37 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Greetings:

As you know, Gray Lady is one of Nagel's most sought-after collectible serigraphs. Only 90 were made (not counting the X/Ps) and nobody knows how many of those are still around.  One thing we do know is that more than one Gray Lady has been faked, counterfeited and palmed off to unsuspecting dupes who were lured into what they thought was a great deal.

This may be one of them.

On EBay, there's a Gray Lady that seems a little weird.  Despite the seller's claim that he "contacted the Nagel gallery and spoke to his wife Jennifer; She confirmed that this serigraph is a limited edition. 1 of 90 signed and numbered published in 3/1982," he doesn't explain why Nagel's signature appears in the dark portion of the image, instead of in pencil on the white border where genuine Gray Lady is signed.  Also, there is no photo of the piece's number.  Finally, there's no mention of the piece's dimensions.

Did I mention the seller lists the artist's name as Richard Nagel?

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Cooper_Monster
 

I don't think this is a "fake", it's simply a misrepresentation. Take a look at the signature on the Classic Visions print, it's in exactly the same location. This is most likely just that print with the top and bottom banding matted out.

I'm not an expert, but was anything on the prints ever signed in anything other than pencil? If it's S-I-S or looks like a pen, I'm thinking you almost always know it's not a S/N edition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Signed-Nagel-Gray-Lady-Print-1982/323507654878?hash=item4b528f10de:g:uNsAAOSw1vVbolhN:rk:14:pf:0

FWIW, I do have a two genuine lifetime prints, one no S-I-S, fake signature as well as a no S-I-S, no signature print, both of the Wasserman Silk Screen Co "Standing Lady". As we discussed several months ago, I suspect they're undestroyed reject prints that made their way out the back door. Could make an interesting addition for the Nagel collector who wants everything.

DancinCrow01@gmail.com
 

So just a quick update on “Gray Lady” Ebay listing - I asked the seller for the Dimensions, also for any info on the Signature & Number of the edition as well as pointing out the mistake in the details being the incorrect artist name.  His response was - 


"OMG! Thank you! HA! I can get The dimensions later today. I need to also take numbered out. I spoke to Jennifer Dumas and she told me that if it’s not numbered then it’s an artists proof.
Thanks for the heads up. New at this :)”


So not sure what to think really
P


On Jan 30, 2019, at 11:28 PM, Cooper_Monster <rkanyok@...> wrote:

I don't think this is a "fake", it's simply a misrepresentation. Take a look at the signature on the Classic Visions print, it's in exactly the same location. This is most likely just that print with the top and bottom banding matted out.

I'm not an expert, but was anything on the prints ever signed in anything other than pencil? If it's S-I-S or looks like a pen, I'm thinking you almost always know it's not a S/N edition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Signed-Nagel-Gray-Lady-Print-1982/323507654878?hash=item4b528f10de:g:uNsAAOSw1vVbolhN:rk:14:pf:0

FWIW, I do have a two genuine lifetime prints, one no S-I-S, fake signature as well as a no S-I-S, no signature print, both of the Wasserman Silk Screen Co "Standing Lady". As we discussed several months ago, I suspect they're undestroyed reject prints that made their way out the back door. Could make an interesting addition for the Nagel collector who wants everything.


 

Um, I think the seller may have misunderstood Jennifer's comment.  While it is true that "no number" could be construed as "No number = some kind of Proof," this piece had no indication of any number or proof.  There's no photo of the lower right hand corner, but again, it's being signed in white on a dark background would seem to indicate that this is not a collectible Gray Lady.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

 

....and after all that, the piece was removed from EBay.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

DancinCrow01@gmail.com
 

Perfect, thanks for the update!!

Peter aka Dancincrow


On Feb 4, 2019, at 8:21 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

....and after all that, the piece was removed from EBay.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Craig Blankenship
 

I own some A/Ps.   It’s labeled as A/P.  Certainly , I would think (but could be wrong) that if someone was going to forge these things , they would at least do their homework....but who knows ?


On Feb 4, 2019, at 8:21 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

....and after all that, the piece was removed from EBay.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com