Topics

Name and backstory of this art print?

What can I say?  You're a more trusting soul than am I.  If I have any doubt, I prefer to see it up close before jumping in.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

Nagelcollector

Again, the exact image is in the gallery of the official Patrick Nagel site--what other verification do you want?

Everyone posting is correct in their posts.  I'm still not convinced, mainly because unlike most collectible artists, there is no central catalog of Nagel's work.  Consequently, I've seen pieces on Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram and even in some galleries that were anywhere from questionable to flat-out frauds.

So perhaps it is real. Maybe it isn't.  Until someone can verify it, I still wouldn't touch it with a stick. :)

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

DancinCrow01@gmail.com

Just to add to the conversation. If you search Patrick Nagel Art on www.pinterest.com you will find at least 1 or 2 other pieces with “splotchy accents” as well as the piece from Forever 21.

On Nov 15, 2018, at 1:46 PM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

You may be right, because I can't get close enough to identify the scribbling in the lower left corner, which is odd to say the least.  Also -- and I know this sounds really weird -- I've seen fakes passed off as Nagels in the strangest places.

We should try to find a hi-res version of this thing to settle it.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

You may be right, because I can't get close enough to identify the scribbling in the lower left corner, which is odd to say the least.  Also -- and I know this sounds really weird -- I've seen fakes passed off as Nagels in the strangest places.

We should try to find a hi-res version of this thing to settle it.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

Nagelcollector

"I don't think you're going to find anything on this piece, mainly because it appears to be a fake.

Nagel generally avoided splotchy accents, but more to the point, from what I can tell, the signature is way off.

That's probably why you can't find it anywhere."

Ummm, this exact image can be found in the gallery of the official Patrick Nagel site:  http://www.patricknagel.com/gallery.html#

What made you think it was fake?  Nagel used splotchy backgrounds in several pieces, and I'm not seeing anything wrong with the signature.

flyinggardengnome

Thanks for the reply!

I don't think you're going to find anything on this piece, mainly because it appears to be a fake.

Nagel generally avoided splotchy accents, but more to the point, from what I can tell, the signature is way off.

That's probably why you can't find it anywhere.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com <-- WOW, what a GREAT Christmas gift!

flyinggardengnome

Hi there,

I’m a new member here, and I wanted to seek some opinions of the members here on this particular print.

I guess most of you have seen this print somewhere. I personally saw this on a Forever 21 t-shirt, a month ago. I like the image so I bought the shirt.

However, I would like to know more about this print. What is the official name of this art price, and when was it published? Are there any hand-signed  & numbered version / SIS version / AP version etc?

I flipped through the book Nagel: The Art of Patrick Nagel but show no records of this print. Maybe this was printed after Patrick’s death, by Karl Bornstein?

Thanks for reading.

Regards