Date   
"Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

 

Yep, there's a Grey Lady up on Ebay right now, with a starting bid of US$8,8888.  

The photos look authentic enough, although being the suspicious person I am, I can't help but look sideways at this listing.  For one thing, the photos are very dark.  For another, the selling copy is sparse, to say the least. 

But the seller has a perfect rating with hundreds of sales, so it's probably legit.  The signature and the numbering look real enough.

Now, which of you is going to start the bidding?  :D

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

Jacob GW
 

That is a seller generated starting bid.. we will have to see if anyone actually bids.


On Mar 23, 2019, at 10:14 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Yep, there's a Grey Lady up on Ebay right now, with a starting bid of US$8,8888.  

The photos look authentic enough, although being the suspicious person I am, I can't help but look sideways at this listing.  For one thing, the photos are very dark.  For another, the selling copy is sparse, to say the least. 

But the seller has a perfect rating with hundreds of sales, so it's probably legit.  The signature and the numbering look real enough.

Now, which of you is going to start the bidding?  :D

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

<s-l1600.jpg>

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

Craig Blankenship
 

I would not bid anything without provenance.  
Even on a S/N piece , once you start getting up towards 5 figures you should demand documentation .   


On Mar 23, 2019, at 9:19 AM, Jacob GW <jacobpgreenspan@...> wrote:

That is a seller generated starting bid.. we will have to see if anyone actually bids.


On Mar 23, 2019, at 10:14 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Yep, there's a Grey Lady up on Ebay right now, with a starting bid of US$8,8888.  

The photos look authentic enough, although being the suspicious person I am, I can't help but look sideways at this listing.  For one thing, the photos are very dark.  For another, the selling copy is sparse, to say the least. 

But the seller has a perfect rating with hundreds of sales, so it's probably legit.  The signature and the numbering look real enough.

Now, which of you is going to start the bidding?  :D

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

<s-l1600.jpg>

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

. .
 

He has a best offer so he will take less. If he is willing to.take  around 4000 he might sell it.   Grey lady are disappearing  . The ones being bought might not come up for sell for another couple DECADES.  
Just my opinion. 

Re: Where's the market today?

. .
 

Is the supply of reasonable  priced  Nagels run out.  I bought every signed and numbered  print that was near mint I could several  years ago.  I lost out on some around 350. Lol thought was to high.  Mistake.. I was not only person buying all I could. So is the supply low on great deals?

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

 

Agreed, as per my post last week about "the market" for Nagel work.

MUCH more difficult to find collectible works now, and what you could have snapped up for $350 a few years ago are often closer to US$1,000+ now.

I don't know that we're looking at decades, though.  The market is rising daily.  Not always consistently, as we see on the canvases, but relentlessly upward nonetheless.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

. .
 

Will u sell ur grey lady. I will not sell mine.  I plan  on living a few more decades.  That's what I mean by decades

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

 

There are a number of pieces I'd sell just for the profit, but that's why I collect serigraphs:  you can buy three, sell two and keep the third almost for free (if you time it right).

But I'm with you:  I'm not selling Grey Lady because I like her way too much and I have only one. I have a similar crush on Mirage and Kristen, but I have multiples of them.  At this point, I'm also holding on to some originals, as well, because once they're sold, they're gone.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: "Grey Lady" -- starting at US$8,8888 :)

Manuel Rodriguez
 

Agree with the logic, but there are only so many serigraphs I can display at any moment, as I do not live in a mansion with unlimited wall space. I sold Grey Lady years ago, as well as Venetian Blinds, and kept the pieces I enjoy most, Mask and Standing Lady. Still have half a dozen limiteds not displayed. 

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:29 PM robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:
There are a number of pieces I'd sell just for the profit, but that's why I collect serigraphs:  you can buy three, sell two and keep the third almost for free (if you time it right).

But I'm with you:  I'm not selling Grey Lady because I like her way too much and I have only one. I have a similar crush on Mirage and Kristen, but I have multiples of them.  At this point, I'm also holding on to some originals, as well, because once they're sold, they're gone.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Steal a Malke-Sage

 

Greetings:

If you want to steal a Malke-Sage, there's a collectible one on Craigslist that's being sold with an SIS version of Yochum-Kay.  The price for BOTH is less than what one collectible Malke-Sage should sell for.

This one is for sale in San Francisco.

Take a look and let us know if you nabbed it!

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: Steal a Malke-Sage

Craig Blankenship
 

That’s a really good deal.   I wish I had an idea of what my special proof signed double image Malke-Sage is worth.   I know it’s rare.   


On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:17 AM, robfrankel <rob@...> wrote:

Greetings:

If you want to steal a Malke-Sage, there's a collectible one on Craigslist that's being sold with an SIS version of Yochum-Kay.  The price for BOTH is less than what one collectible Malke-Sage should sell for.

This one is for sale in San Francisco.

Take a look and let us know if you nabbed it!

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: Steal a Malke-Sage

Nagelcollector
 

Funny, the seller of these two pieces just posted a short time ago on the Patrick Nagel forum about finding them at a garage sale!

Re: Steal a Malke-Sage

Craig Blankenship
 

Hmmm....that’s odd.  I would have to ask for pics from the actual garage sale .  Surely the person had an iPhone .   


On Apr 2, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Nagelcollector <alexchun65@...> wrote:

Funny, the seller of these two pieces just posted a short time ago on the Patrick Nagel forum about finding them at a garage sale!

Heritage Auction results today!

 

Wow, a lot of action for Patrick Nagel today.  Canvases did well bringing in six figures, acrylic on board did sort of okay.  But Aries and Leopard Trainer, the ones that never sell, just sat there....as usual.

 

 

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

"Kristen" canvas up for auction?

 

Greetings:

Just received a notification that the canvas version of Kristen is up for auction, but not at a major auction house.  Auctioneer maintains it will go for US$30K to US$60K.  If it's real -- and it could be -- this will be an interesting event.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

"Lorraine" on EBay

 

Greetings:

Just a quick note to let you know that the Lorraine on EBay has dropped its asking price -- and they're accepting offers.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

"Kristen" Breaks a record: $240K

 

Holy cow, Kristen canvas sold at auction for a quarter million.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com


Bank of America Traveler's Checks Posters (1978)

Cooper_Monster
 

Spotted these as available on eBay. Hadn't seen them before, and no, they're probably not worth the asking price at $450 (although they've got to be considerably rarer than some later works), but they're interesting for what he produced in 1978. Note how similar they are to the Gatsby pieces that were up a few months ago, then take a look at Casa Lupita and Iowa Agronomics - there's a definite evolution in style that happens rapidly at this point, and these aren't too far off from those early posters. Then also realize he's got basically 5 years of career left from this point. It's interesting to contemplate.

Re: Bank of America Traveler's Checks Posters (1978)

 

Nagel did TONS of advertising work, for a lot of large and small clients.  After all, he was doing ad illustration for close to ten years before he met Karl Bornstein, who started him on the "museum quality advertising" collectibles path.  As such, most of these posters were lithographs that were printed by the truckload.

That doesn't mean these aren't collectible for their content. And if Nagel's work continues to escalate in value, it doesn't mean that even his lithographs might increase in value.  After all, Alphons Mucha's lithographs sell for thousands today.

That having been said, I agree that at this point, $450 seems a bit pricey for these posters -- unless you love looking at them, which is totally fine, too.

Rob Frankel
TheArtistWhoLovedWomen.com

Re: Bank of America Traveler's Checks Posters (1978)

Cooper_Monster
 

One thing to remember about things that were mass produced on low quality paper - they weren't meant to be saved and usually weren't. So the number that survived in top notch condition, especially early in a career, are often worth quite a bit once a market develops. Over time, these disposables can become worth more than things produced for the collectors market simply because of rarity. The Mucha posters, or any early to mid 20th Century European advertising poster that's original now brings big dollars even though they were mass produced, because most of them were destroyed and a market has developed. I love the advertising posters E McKnight Kauffer did for various British firms like London Underground, various railways companies, and Shell Oil, but they're extremely expensive because so few survived and they weren't considered "art".  Those Victoria's Secret catalogs that flooded your mailbox for years - try looking at the prices on eBay. Even less than top notch copies from the late-1980s to mid-1990s can easily bring $20-$30 each at auction because most people did what you did - tossed them in the trash, used them for coasters, etc. Think of the thousands of dollars you threw away. Or think about the tons of "non--collectibles" that are sitting at garage sales and flea markets that have the potential to be worth something if you know what you're looking for. That Nagel sunglasses poster for $25 on eBay is going nowhere in value, but some mid-70s Nagel advertising posters at a garage sale for $5 each that no one has documented yet, that has potential.