Topics

Patently Jewish - Discomfort: Judaism in a Nutsheel #patentlyjewish

PassaicJews@groups.io Integration <PassaicJews@...>

Discomfort: Judaism in a Nutsheel

By tostien

Judaism is about discomfort. What do I mean by that? I mean we want to avoid it’s opposite – no, not “comfort” but “complacency.” The English language sometimes trips us up as words that sound like opposites aren’t always the best choice for demonstrating opposing concepts. Let’s begin. At the anniversary of creation (well, according […]

Ruby Management

I read Discomfort:Judaism in a Nutsheel.   If this was meant as a summary of Judaism, I thought there were a few points worthy of mention.   If we are to summarize Judaism in a nutshell, we could look at the practical mitzvos most prevalent in diaspora communities and run along the lines of what you wrote.   However, there is so much more to add when summarizing.   Judaism is not a midos exercise, so to summarize it as such, misses the most pressing and influential mitzvos of today.   For example, accepting all the 613 mitzvos upon oneself, accepting upon oneself Jewish law (Shluchan Aruch).  The mitzvos, when kept properly, will lead you to perfect our home, Eretz HaKodesh, and create a place for the divine presence to dwell.   It is our job in exile to ascend to Israel and rebuild Yerushalayim and the Beis HaMikdash.   Then we will rejoice and keep all of G-d's Torah as we are commanded.   It is this destiny that we either shun or embrace, and if you want to summarize Judaism, then it is embracing the destiny of the chosen nation to return and rebuild our land, so the divine presence will once again be ever present and we will bring the entire world to its ultimate purpose.   Judaism, is not davening, kashrus, Shabbos and Yom Tov so you can turn yourself alone into a nice person.   It is the fruition of the divine will for the chosen nation in the chosen land.   Noting that is key, to being an honest Jew, and to understand the mission of the Jew.   Being a part of the ascension, conquering, and rebuild of the Jewish nation, Yerushalayim, and the Beis Hamikdash, so we can fulfill his entire Torah in purity and holiness, bring down the divine presence as a light to all the nations, that is Judaism in nutshell.