Topics

X29 questions

Dave's Gmail

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Brian Carlson

Additional grab irons and steps around the door and marker light brackets off the top of my head. I’d use the red caboose version for the car in lieu of modifying a freight version it came with all the extras. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Ah. I didn’t know that red caboose made an express version. 
Dave

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Additional grab irons and steps around the door and marker light brackets off the top of my head. I’d use the red caboose version for the car in lieu of modifying a freight version it came with all the extras. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Why not use the RC kit for the express car? It has all the right holes, etc, and parts ready to go. 

The express X29 had multiple modifications 
  • lamp brackets on the corners
  • step under the door
  • grab iron next to the door
  • Additional grab iron on the ends
  • Steam and signal lines
Ben Hom described they in a series of TKM articles and in the Keystone. The TKM articles were combined into the 100th issue which is on-line at:

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:25 AM
To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>
Subject: [PRRPro] X29 questions

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Bruce, Were the express car parts in all of the kits? Or was there a
specific express car kit that had extra parts?
Dave

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:38 PM Bruce Smith <@smithbf> wrote:

Dave,

Why not use the RC kit for the express car? It has all the right holes, etc, and parts ready to go.

lamp brackets on the corners
step under the door
grab iron next to the door
Additional grab iron on the ends
Steam and signal lines

Ben Hom described they in a series of TKM articles and in the Keystone. The TKM articles were combined into the 100th issue which is on-line at:
http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No.%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
nanos gigantum humeris insidentes
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Brian Carlson

It was specific model. I haven’t found the model number yet.
Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Dave

Dave,

step under the door
Steam and signal lines

http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No.%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Nelson Moyer

I’ve searched for lamp brackets but haven’t found any in HO scale. Does anyone know if anyone is still making them. I need enough for eight cars.

Nelson Moyer

From: PRRPro@groups.io [mailto:PRRPro@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:38 AM
To: PRRPro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] X29 questions

Dave,

• step under the door
  • Steam and signal lines

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Thanks, Brian!

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:57 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Brian J. Carlson

Dave

Dave,

step under the door
Steam and signal lines

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Paul Schulz

Dave, one small added interesting point not mentioned so far is that some of the X29 express cars had special express trucks which were not included in the RC kit which did include trucks just not those special express version. I don’t have this information at my fingertips but I seem to remember it was a GSC of some nomenclature I'm sure others on this list can fully expand on this. As Bruce suggested The RC is a nice kit I probably Built 50 of them years ago when they first came out.

Paul Schulz
Washington Dc Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: PRRPro@groups.io [mailto:PRRPro@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 12:58 PM

Brian J. Carlson

Dave

Dave,

step under the door
Steam and signal lines

http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Kit #7028 was the series that came decorated for REA. It's been a while since I built one, so I pulled one off the shelf. I will take it back that they had all the holes. The body is just the normal body. The kit comes with an extra sprue called the "REA detail sprue".

I just opened a couple of other kits, and the sprue is not included. You used to be able to get the sprue direct from RC, but I don't think you can get it from them or Intermountain any more.

Regards,
Bruce

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:48 AM

Dave

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:38 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> Why not use the RC kit for the express car? It has all the right holes, etc, and parts ready to go.
>
> The express X29 had multiple modifications
>
> lamp brackets on the corners
> step under the door
> grab iron next to the door
> Additional grab iron on the ends
> Steam and signal lines
>
> Ben Hom described they in a series of TKM articles and in the Keystone. The TKM articles were combined into the 100th issue which is on-line at:
> http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No.%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
> Bruce Smith
> Auburn, AL
> ________________________________
> From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>
> Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:25 AM
> To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>
> Subject: [PRRPro] X29 questions
>
> Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
> Thanks!
> Dave Wilson
>

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Dave's Gmail

Thanks, Bruce! I'll keep an eye out for that kit. I'll paint and
detail the ones I have as freight cars while I look for an express
version.
Dave

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:37 PM Bruce Smith <@smithbf> wrote:

Dave,

Kit #7028 was the series that came decorated for REA. It's been a while since I built one, so I pulled one off the shelf. I will take it back that they had all the holes. The body is just the normal body. The kit comes with an extra sprue called the "REA detail sprue".

I just opened a couple of other kits, and the sprue is not included. You used to be able to get the sprue direct from RC, but I don't think you can get it from them or Intermountain any more.

Regards,
Bruce

Dave

Dave,

step under the door
Steam and signal lines

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Brian Carlson

I may have a few spares in my stash if interested. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 31, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Dave,

Regards,
Bruce

Dave

>
> Dave,
>
> Why not use the RC kit for the express car? It has all the right holes, etc, and parts ready to go.
>
>
> step under the door
> Steam and signal lines
>
> Ben Hom described they in a series of TKM articles and in the Keystone. The TKM articles were combined into the 100th issue which is on-line at:
> http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No.%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
> Bruce Smith
> Auburn, AL
> From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>
>
> Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
> Thanks!
> Dave Wilson
>

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

WILLIAM PARDIE

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/31/20 7:43 AM (GMT-10:00)

I may have a few spares in my stash if interested. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jul 31, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Dave,

Regards,
Bruce

Dave

>
> Dave,
>
>
>
> step under the door
> Steam and signal lines
>
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
> Bruce Smith
> Auburn, AL
>
> Thanks!
> Dave Wilson
>

--
David C. Wilson
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

rdgloco

Going back, at least, forty years.  White metal marker lamps with mounting brackets were in the Walthers catalog.  The marker lamps were removable, but the lamps and the brackets were also noticeably over-sized.     

Question:  Has anyone built or have a Walthers Troop car kit.  If so, were the brackets molded on or included as separate parts?  Evan Leisey

On Jul 31, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I’ve searched for lamp brackets but haven’t found any in HO scale. Does anyone know if anyone is still making them. I need enough for eight cars.

Nelson Moyer

Dave,

• step under the door
  • Steam and signal lines

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Nelson Moyer

Custom Finishing offers marker bracket B-179, but these are not listed by Walthers today. They are the wrong type for passenger cars or express boxcars. I know of no marker light brackets that are prototypically correct for express boxcars car or passenger car application.

In response to the earlier question about troop cars, I built eight Walthers converted troop kitchen cars, and the marker brackets are neither molded on the ends or included as separate parts in the kit.

Nelson Moyer

From: PRRPro@groups.io [mailto:PRRPro@groups.io] On Behalf Of rdgloco via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2020 12:20 AM

Going back, at least, forty years.  White metal marker lamps with mounting brackets were in the Walthers catalog.  The marker lamps were removable, but the lamps and the brackets were also noticeably over-sized.     

Question:  Has anyone built or have a Walthers Troop car kit.  If so, were the brackets molded on or included as separate parts?  Evan Leisey
On Jul 31, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Nelson Moyer

Dave,

• step under the door
  • Steam and signal lines

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Steve Sejda

Dave, all,
Red Caboose originally offered kit # 7006 Undec REA version of the X29. Super scarce if you can find one.

Steve Sejda
Monroeville, NJ

Greg Peltz

Group, on the topic of 3rd party detail parts for express service X29's - I'm currently in the midst of assembling a rake of 11 RC REA X29's and have a question regarding possible substitutes for the additional extra-wide sill step to the left of the door. I'm a big fan of the photo-etched X29 stirrups from Yarmouth - both for looks and sturdiness - and have been substituting these parts on all of my corner sill steps. Unfortunately it looks like Yarmouth does not offer an equivalent part for the wider-set sill step near the door on the REA cars, unless I'm mistaken? Is anyone aware of an accurate 3rd party part to replace the delicate RC sill step at this location, or am I going to need to settle for being extra careful with my handling?

Thanks,
Greg

John Barry

Greg,

I passed your post to the designer of the parts.  I've got a pair of the REA variants.  I think his answer will depend on how much demand there is.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Friday, September 18, 2020, 09:27:50 AM EDT, PRRPro@groups.io <digestnoreply@groups.io> wrote:

Groups.io

This is a digest for PRR Projects Group. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.
Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.
Topics in this digest:
1. Re: X29 questions
1a. 
Re: X29 questions
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 07:19:12 PDT

Group, on the topic of 3rd party detail parts for express service X29's - I'm currently in the midst of assembling a rake of 11 RC REA X29's and have a question regarding possible substitutes for the additional extra-wide sill step to the left of the door. I'm a big fan of the photo-etched X29 stirrups from Yarmouth - both for looks and sturdiness - and have been substituting these parts on all of my corner sill steps. Unfortunately it looks like Yarmouth does not offer an equivalent part for the wider-set sill step near the door on the REA cars, unless I'm mistaken? Is anyone aware of an accurate 3rd party part to replace the delicate RC sill step at this location, or am I going to need to settle for being extra careful with my handling?

Thanks,
Greg

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

Groups.io   © 2020 Groups.io

You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to PRRPro@groups.io via northbaylines@.... You can unsubscribe here.