Topics

X29 questions

Dave's Gmail

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Brian Carlson

Additional grab irons and steps around the door and marker light brackets off the top of my head. I’d use the red caboose version for the car in lieu of modifying a freight version it came with all the extras.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Ah. I didn’t know that red caboose made an express version.
Dave

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Additional grab irons and steps around the door and marker light brackets off the top of my head. I’d use the red caboose version for the car in lieu of modifying a freight version it came with all the extras.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Why not use the RC kit for the express car? It has all the right holes, etc, and parts ready to go.

The express X29 had multiple modifications
  • lamp brackets on the corners
  • step under the door
  • grab iron next to the door
  • Additional grab iron on the ends
  • Steam and signal lines
Ben Hom described they in a series of TKM articles and in the Keystone. The TKM articles were combined into the 100th issue which is on-line at:

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Bruce, Were the express car parts in all of the kits? Or was there a
specific express car kit that had extra parts?
Dave

http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler_PDFs/TKM%20No.%20100%20-%20Spring%202017.pdf

________________________________

--
David C. Wilson
nanos gigantum humeris insidentes

Brian Carlson

It was specific model. I haven’t found the model number yet.
Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

[...]

Nelson Moyer

I’ve searched for lamp brackets but haven’t found any in HO scale. Does anyone know if anyone is still making them. I need enough for eight cars.

Nelson Moyer

Group, I am working on detailing three HO scale Red caboose X29 boxcars. I'm thinking about painting one as an REA car. Other than steam hoses, what were the detail differences from the freight cars versus the express cars? Is there a TKM article that has a detailed description?
Thanks!
Dave Wilson

--
David C. Wilson
nanos gigantum humeris insidentes
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

Paul Schulz

Dave, one small added interesting point not mentioned so far is that some of the X29 express cars had special express trucks which were not included in the RC kit which did include trucks just not those special express version. I don’t have this information at my fingertips but I seem to remember it was a GSC of some nomenclature I'm sure others on this list can fully expand on this. As Bruce suggested The RC is a nice kit I probably Built 50 of them years ago when they first came out.

Paul Schulz
Washington Dc Chapter

--
David C. Wilson
nanos gigantum humeris insidentes
PRRT&HS 9088 (H6sb)

rdgloco

 Going back, at least, forty years.  White metal marker lamps with mounting brackets were in the Walthers catalog.  The marker lamps were removable, but the lamps and the brackets were also noticeably over-sized.

Question:  Has anyone built or have a Walthers Troop car kit.  If so, were the brackets molded on or included as separate parts?  Evan Leisey

From: Greg Peltz
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 07:19:12 PDT

Group, on the topic of 3rd party detail parts for express service X29's - I'm currently in the midst of assembling a rake of 11 RC REA X29's and have a question regarding possible substitutes for the additional extra-wide sill step to the left of the door. I'm a big fan of the photo-etched X29 stirrups from Yarmouth - both for looks and sturdiness - and have been substituting these parts on all of my corner sill steps. Unfortunately it looks like Yarmouth does not offer an equivalent part for the wider-set sill step near the door on the REA cars, unless I'm mistaken? Is anyone aware of an accurate 3rd party part to replace the delicate RC sill step at this location, or am I going to need to settle for being extra careful with my handling?

Thanks,
Greg

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

Groups.io   © 2020 Groups.io