Topics

What to do next?

Bruce Smith

Folks,

July 1 is almost upon us. We have not discussed any particular project for the next 6 months as I wanted to see how active the list would be if I posted more. The bottom line is that it is more active, but more than half of that is in response to my postings. What that means is that if this is going to be just a few of us doing these projects, I'm going to be inclined to adjust the approach we use to be more focused on the interests of those of us actually building the projects 😉 

I've been pleased with my progress recently, but still have a lot of leftover projects to finish (or start). Here's our list of projects with my notations inserted as to what I need to do:

1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars       

2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

3)         X29 box car           

4)         G22 gondolas        

5)         P70 passenger cars            

6)         Sharknose diesels                      

7)         I1 (2-10-0) steam locos -  Still need to put the final touches on my Bowser Juniata built and add DCC

8)         H21/H22 hoppers                     

9)         N5 (family) cabin cars            

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars -  I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!       

11)       Interlocking Towers -  Just dug out my COLA kit, and am all the way to paint - done before July

12)       Heavyweight sleepers              

13)       X31, X31A, X31B, X31C box cars    

14)       TM8/AC&F Type 11 tank cars      

15)       H8/H9/H10 steam locos -  Need to finish DCC/sound installations

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  - Want to build an RF in NX lease service

17)       GP7 and GP9 diesels                          

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!                            

20)       XL class boxcars and related -  I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

21)       Coaling towers -  I was never happy with my start to the brass coal/ash hoist. I have 2 Walthers kits that I am modifying.

22)       B60, B60A, B60B                         

23)       F22/23 flat cars -  I have somewhere around 6 F22 to build

24)       Signals                                             

25)       GLA Hoppers -  I never even started this one. I have a Westie and a fleet of Bowsers

26)       Falls/Colonial mid-train lounges  

27)       X26 boxcars                                

28)       GR/GRA gondola                 

29)       PRR Tool House                

30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars                

31)       X23 and related cars             

32)       N8 cabin cars                          

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

34)       H25 hoppers

The N4 and the components of my XL based catenary train are probably calling to me the loudest. Is anyone else interested in those? In both cases, there are both standard resin builds and significantly more complicated resin bashes. 

In other words, should we make those a specific project, as a new project (ie. "wire train"), or should we be content to do an "open" six months where we all try to do more of the old projects? I'm also open, of course, to other new projects, but if you want to suggest something, a) you'd better have a track record of doing and posting to the list, and b) you'd better be fully prepared to actually do the project. 

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

christer@...

Hi Bruce,

I am very interested in a project on flat cars. I have two F22 halfway and one each of F29 och F33 all of them F&C.

Regards

Christer Kedström

22.06.2020 19:34 skrev Bruce Smith:

Folks,

July 1 is almost upon us. We have not discussed any particular project for the next 6 months as I wanted to see how active the list would be if I posted more. The bottom line is that it is more active, but more than half of that is in response to my postings. What that means is that if this is going to be just a few of us doing these projects, I'm going to be inclined to adjust the approach we use to be more focused on the interests of those of us actually building the projects 😉 

I've been pleased with my progress recently, but still have a lot of leftover projects to finish (or start). Here's our list of projects with my notations inserted as to what I need to do:

2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

3)         X29 box car           

4)         G22 gondolas        

7)         I1 (2-10-0) steam locos -  Still need to put the final touches on my Bowser Juniata built and add DCC

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars -  I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!       

11)       Interlocking Towers -  Just dug out my COLA kit, and am all the way to paint - done before July

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  - Want to build an RF in NX lease service

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!                            

20)       XL class boxcars and related -  I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

21)       Coaling towers -  I was never happy with my start to the brass coal/ash hoist. I have 2 Walthers kits that I am modifying.

24)       Signals                                             

25)       GLA Hoppers -  I never even started this one. I have a Westie and a fleet of Bowsers

27)       X26 boxcars                                

28)       GR/GRA gondola                 

29)       PRR Tool House                

32)       N8 cabin cars                          

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

34)       H25 hoppers

The N4 and the components of my XL based catenary train are probably calling to me the loudest. Is anyone else interested in those? In both cases, there are both standard resin builds and significantly more complicated resin bashes. 

In other words, should we make those a specific project, as a new project (ie. "wire train"), or should we be content to do an "open" six months where we all try to do more of the old projects? I'm also open, of course, to other new projects, but if you want to suggest something, a) you'd better have a track record of doing and posting to the list, and b) you'd better be fully prepared to actually do the project. 

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bruce,

I really like the catch-up idea.  Lord knows I’ve got plenty of catching up to do.  Additionally, we wouldn’t have to wait for the arrival kit, material, and parts orders, which in the past has sometimes run into months.

Also, if we go with the catch-up idea, we probably should start thinking now about next January so we can get ahead of the curve with those kit, material, and parts orders.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:34 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io
Subject: [PRRPro] What to do next?

Folks,

1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars       

2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

3)         X29 box car          

4)         G22 gondolas       

5)         P70 passenger cars           

6)         Sharknose diesels                     

7)         I1 (2-10-0) steam locos - Still need to put the final touches on my Bowser Juniata built and add DCC

8)         H21/H22 hoppers                    

9)         N5 (family) cabin cars           

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars - I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!      

11)       Interlocking Towers - Just dug out my COLA kit, and am all the way to paint - done before July

12)       Heavyweight sleepers             

13)       X31, X31A, X31B, X31C box cars    

14)       TM8/AC&F Type 11 tank cars     

15)       H8/H9/H10 steam locos - Need to finish DCC/sound installations

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  - Want to build an RF in NX lease service

17)       GP7 and GP9 diesels                          

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!                           

20)       XL class boxcars and related - I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

21)       Coaling towers - I was never happy with my start to the brass coal/ash hoist. I have 2 Walthers kits that I am modifying.

22)       B60, B60A, B60B                        

23)       F22/23 flat cars - I have somewhere around 6 F22 to build

24)       Signals                                            

25)       GLA Hoppers - I never even started this one. I have a Westie and a fleet of Bowsers

26)       Falls/Colonial mid-train lounges 

27)       X26 boxcars                               

28)       GR/GRA gondola                

29)       PRR Tool House               

30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars               

31)       X23 and related cars            

32)       N8 cabin cars                         

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

34)       H25 hoppers

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Christer,

Looks to me like you’re another candidate for catch-up, specifically Projects 23 and 30 in your case.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:57 PM
To: prrpro@groups.io
Cc: prrpro@groups.io
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] What to do next?

Hi Bruce,

I am very interested in a project on flat cars. I have two F22 halfway and one each of F29 och F33 all of them F&C.

Regards

Christer Kedström

Folks,

2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

3)         X29 box car          

4)         G22 gondolas       

7)         I1 (2-10-0) steam locos - Still need to put the final touches on my Bowser Juniata built and add DCC

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars - I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!      

11)       Interlocking Towers - Just dug out my COLA kit, and am all the way to paint - done before July

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  - Want to build an RF in NX lease service

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!                           

20)       XL class boxcars and related - I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

21)       Coaling towers - I was never happy with my start to the brass coal/ash hoist. I have 2 Walthers kits that I am modifying.

24)       Signals                                            

25)       GLA Hoppers - I never even started this one. I have a Westie and a fleet of Bowsers

27)       X26 boxcars                               

28)       GR/GRA gondola                

29)       PRR Tool House               

32)       N8 cabin cars                         

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

34)       H25 hoppers

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

greg snook

I'm going strong on project #4, so yay!  I really need to get back to project #1 and #3 at some point, with my X29 fleet in no shape for future layout plans.  

I really need to find several more Westy GLa's before starting that project, but I'm currently on a kick going through the gon fleet, so not in a huge rush there.

So many projects, so little focus on my part.

Cheers
Greg Snook

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 2:39 PM Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:
Hi Christer,

Looks to me like you’re another candidate for catch-up, specifically Projects 23 and 30 in your case.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:57 PM
To: prrpro@groups.io
Cc: prrpro@groups.io

Hi Bruce,

Regards

Christer Kedström

Folks,

3)         X29 box car          

4)         G22 gondolas       

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

24)       Signals                                            

27)       X26 boxcars                               

28)       GR/GRA gondola                

29)       PRR Tool House               

32)       N8 cabin cars                         

34)       H25 hoppers

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Chuck Heuer

Bruce, you can put me in the catchup club too - currently working on a PB70 (#5) and then I've got got flats (#10) and a gon to tackle as predecessors and warm ups to any attempt at a wire train (which is a brass ring out there for me...)

Chuck Heuer
Westfield, NJ

Jerry Britton

Bruce, my thoughts embedded...

On Jun 22, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Bruce Smith <@smithbf> wrote:

I think for a lot of people, sometimes including me, they are looking for a project “leader”. Obviously it is not fair for one person to be on the hook for entertainment! ;-) However, when you look at F&C directions for instance, and sprues that aren’t numbered, heck, many times I don’t know what part they are looking for! For instance, on one of the projects there were three brackets for various spots on the under frame. I couldn’t tell them apart. We almost need a step-by-step guide to building some of these.

My list...

1) F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars
Holding out hope for a commercial F30D with TrucTrain rigging.

2) R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!
Didn’t participate originally, but have a few to do.

4) G22 gondolas
Didn’t participate originally, but have a dozen Westies to do. (Now is not a good time.)

9) N5 (family) cabin cars
Didn’t participate originally, but have several to do. (Now is not a good time.)

10) FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars - I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!
Didn’t participate originally, but have several to do.

12) Heavyweight sleepers
Have a BCW sleeper that needs attention. A BELL car, I believe.

19) Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!
Didn’t participate originally, but have a few to do, including an ex-PRR cabin for the H&BTM.

20) XL class boxcars and related - I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.
Didn’t participate originally, but have a number of camp cars to do.

23) F22/23 flat cars - I have somewhere around 6 F22 to build
Have two of each to finish. Nearly ready for paint.

26) Falls/Colonial mid-train lounges
Still have three to finish off (interiors).

27) X26 boxcars
Have six to finish off. This is the project that stalled because I couldn’t tell parts apart.

28) GR/GRA gondola
Didn’t participate originally, have a few to do.

30) F28, F29, F33 flat cars

31) X23 and related cars

32) N8 cabin cars
Have six to finish. Currently decaling bodies, but need to finish roofs and interiors.

33) X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)
Didn’t participate originally, but have a dozen F&C's to do. (Now is not a good time.)

34) H25 hoppers
Didn’t participate originally, but have a dozen F&C's to do. (Now is not a good time.)

In summary, got a bunch of projects in common. After all these years, maybe a reboot of some past projects is needed. Time-wise, another shot at a heavyweight sleeper (#12) would be most manageable.

I also have a half dozen F&C GPa’s, some G25’s, and one GLe that need done. Have a bunch of X29 rebuilds as well.

Can the Tangent G31b be “easily” converted to any of the other G31x classes?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jerry Britton Member, PRRT&HS #6111 jerry@...

PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - https://pennsyrr.com
PRR Middle Division in HO Scale - https://www.facebook.com/prrmiddledivision/
The Pennsy Modeler - https://pennsyrr.com - Formerly Keystone Crossings
Pennsylvania Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pennsylvaniarailroad/
Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/HandBTMGroup/
Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/kishacoquillasvalleyrailroad/
Bellefonte Central Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bellefontecentralgroup/

Ralph W. Brown

Greg said:

“So many projects, so little focus on my part.”

Well, same here, and how true it is!

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 2:47 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io

I'm going strong on project #4, so yay!  I really need to get back to project #1 and #3 at some point, with my X29 fleet in no shape for future layout plans.  

I really need to find several more Westy GLa's before starting that project, but I'm currently on a kick going through the gon fleet, so not in a huge rush there.

So many projects, so little focus on my part.

Cheers
Greg Snook

Bruce Smith

Jerry,

HAHA! F&C parts and directions... what fun. Please feel free to post a photo of the parts of any current or past project and ask what the %$%#@ it is! And of course, there can sometimes be random extra parts in F&C kits...

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry Britton <jerry@...>
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 2:29 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
>
> July 1 is almost upon us. We have not discussed any particular project for the next 6 months as I wanted to see how active the list would be if I posted more. The bottom line is that it is more active, but more than half of that is in response to my postings. What that means is that if this is going to be just a few of us doing these projects, I'm going to be inclined to adjust the approach we use to be more focused on the interests of those of us actually building the projects 😉

I think for a lot of people, sometimes including me, they are looking for a project “leader”. Obviously it is not fair for one person to be on the hook for entertainment! ;-) However, when you look at F&C directions for instance, and sprues that aren’t numbered, heck, many times I don’t know what part they are looking for! For instance, on one of the projects there were three brackets for various spots on the under frame. I couldn’t tell them apart. We almost need a step-by-step guide to building some of these.
>
> I've been pleased with my progress recently, but still have a lot of leftover projects to finish (or start). Here's our list of projects with my notations inserted as to what I need to do:

My list...
>
> 1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars      

> 2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

> 4)         G22 gondolas

Didn’t participate originally, but have a dozen Westies to do. (Now is not a good time.)
>      
> 9)         N5 (family) cabin cars

Didn’t participate originally, but have several to do. (Now is not a good time.)
>          
> 10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars -  I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!      

> 12)       Heavyweight sleepers

>            
> 19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!  

Didn’t participate originally, but have a few to do, including an ex-PRR cabin for the H&BTM.
>                        
> 20)       XL class boxcars and related -  I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

> 23)       F22/23 flat cars -  I have somewhere around 6 F22 to build

> 26)       Falls/Colonial mid-train lounges 

> 27)       X26 boxcars  

Have six to finish off. This is the project that stalled because I couldn’t tell parts apart.
>                            
> 28)       GR/GRA gondola        

>       
> 30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars       

> 31)       X23 and related cars    

>         
> 32)       N8 cabin cars  

Have six to finish. Currently decaling bodies, but need to finish roofs and interiors.
>                      
> 33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

> 34)       H25 hoppers

In summary, got a bunch of projects in common. After all these years, maybe a reboot of some past projects is needed. Time-wise, another shot at a heavyweight sleeper (#12) would be most manageable.

I also have a half dozen F&C GPa’s, some G25’s, and one GLe that need done. Have a bunch of X29 rebuilds as well.

Jerry Britton   Member, PRRT&HS #6111   jerry@...

Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/HandBTMGroup/
Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/kishacoquillasvalleyrailroad/
Bellefonte Central Railroad - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bellefontecentralgroup/

diesell48

LOL
extra parts?  More often than not!  In fact when I built my first kit from them, (possibly an H30) and found these extra parts when I came to what I thought was the end of assembly, I was pretty dismayed.  What did I fail to assemble?  I got used to it.  Directions, you ask?  I have learned to "use the force" when assembling their kits.  And i have pressed at least a few of their extra parts into service on other projects.  It beats the bejeebers out of coming up short with the parts!  That's never happened to me.  And until my X38 project I have never had any decal problems.  Someone said I have just been real lucky.

None of this should be viewed as casting aspersions at F&C.  I think we are very lucky to have them doing all these freight cars.  I will certainly buy more.

Bill Millham

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Jun 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Jerry,

HAHA! F&C parts and directions... what fun. Please feel free to post a photo of the parts of any current or past project and ask what the %$%#@ it is! And of course, there can sometimes be random extra parts in F&C kits...

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Jerry Britton <jerry@...>
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 2:29 PM

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
>
> July 1 is almost upon us. We have not discussed any particular project for the next 6 months as I wanted to see how active the list would be if I posted more. The bottom line is that it is more active, but more than half of that is in response to my postings. What that means is that if this is going to be just a few of us doing these projects, I'm going to be inclined to adjust the approach we use to be more focused on the interests of those of us actually building the projects 😉

>
> I've been pleased with my progress recently, but still have a lot of leftover projects to finish (or start). Here's our list of projects with my notations inserted as to what I need to do:

My list...
>
> 1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars      

> 2)         R50b express reefers - Believe it or not, I still have 3 of these to finish!

> 4)         G22 gondolas

>      
> 9)         N5 (family) cabin cars

>          
> 10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars -  I REALLY want to build the towers for my FM tower cars!      

> 12)       Heavyweight sleepers

>            
> 19)       Wood Cabin Cars - I REALLY want to get back to my N4 project. I have a new idea!  

>                        
> 20)       XL class boxcars and related -  I REALLY want to build the catenary rider car, and then the rest of my MOW fleet.

> 23)       F22/23 flat cars -  I have somewhere around 6 F22 to build

> 26)       Falls/Colonial mid-train lounges 

> 27)       X26 boxcars  

>                            
> 28)       GR/GRA gondola        

>       
> 30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars       

> 31)       X23 and related cars    

>         
> 32)       N8 cabin cars  

>                      
> 33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

> 34)       H25 hoppers

Jerry Britton   Member, PRRT&HS #6111   jerry@...

Douglas Nelson

I will soon be looking at N scale X31f and X32 projects. 
Doug Nelson. 

On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

3)         X29 box car           

4)         G22 gondolas        

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

24)       Signals                                             

27)       X26 boxcars                                

28)       GR/GRA gondola                 

29)       PRR Tool House                

32)       N8 cabin cars                          

34)       H25 hoppers

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Bruce Smith

Geez, thanks for reminding me Doug... let's add that I need to finish my X31F too!

Regards,
Bruce

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Douglas Nelson <doug514@...>
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 6:51 PM

I will soon be looking at N scale X31f and X32 projects. 
Doug Nelson. 

On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

3)         X29 box car           

4)         G22 gondolas        

18)       Wreck Derricks                                   

24)       Signals                                             

27)       X26 boxcars                                

28)       GR/GRA gondola                 

29)       PRR Tool House                

32)       N8 cabin cars                          

34)       H25 hoppers

What say you?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Rick Tipton

Gize,

Realizing that I've been much more a lurker than a worker on Pro projects, I still enjoy watching the great work in progress.

However, it's true that I have multiple GP-7 to do, plus N5's and N8's to decal; it would be easy to suck me into action on these.  But whatever goes forward, I'll really like seeing the real craftsmen build wonderful models.  It beats the hell out of being locked down in Louisville Kentucky with no other PRR modelers for 110 miles...

Y'all stay safe.. I miss seeing you in person.

Rick Tipton

Stuart Thayer

Rick,

What do you mean “no other PRR modelers for 110 miles”?  Georgetown, KY is only 70 miles away.  😁

Stuart Thayer

On Jun 24, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Rick Tipton <ricktipton@...> wrote:

Gize,

Realizing that I've been much more a lurker than a worker on Pro projects, I still enjoy watching the great work in progress.

However, it's true that I have multiple GP-7 to do, plus N5's and N8's to decal; it would be easy to suck me into action on these.  But whatever goes forward, I'll really like seeing the real craftsmen build wonderful models.  It beats the hell out of being locked down in Louisville Kentucky with no other PRR modelers for 110 miles...

Y'all stay safe.. I miss seeing you in person.

Rick Tipton

John Barry

Bruce,

I have lots of Ketchup as all of the following are applicable to my 1944 era Santa Fe layout set in Richmond, Calif.:

1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars    Military loads/boilers  

2)         R50b express reefers -

3)         X29 box car          

4)         G22 gondolas          steel  

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars   Military loads  

13)       X31, X31A, X31B, X31C box cars   

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  -

22)       B60, B60A, B60B             Head end and Troop Trains.

23)       F22/23 flat cars -  I have a pair of AMB gun loads for my F&C cars.  Hunter’s Point and Mare Island are in the Bay Area.

27)       X26 boxcars                               

28)       GR/GRA gondola         Steel

30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars                transformers

31)       X23 and related cars            

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

20)       XL class boxcars and related -  Were these all gone from revenue service by 44/45?  Or were some sold and used by other roads in 44?  If only in the MOW fleet, this Santa Fe guy won’t need any Mustard with my long list of Ketchup. 

With as large a backlog as I have, an idea for a new project is the X30 – I have one in plain Keystone with a 1963 reweigh date I need to back date to 1944 with Circle Keystone.  Anyone have one that they’d like to trade?

John Barry

Bruce Smith

John,

Concentrate on the Ketchup! There is no evidence of any  XL boxcars in revenue service by WWII. The huge majority of the cars were burnt in massive funeral pyres in the early 1930s, to salvage the iron and steel scrap. The remainder were set aside for MOW. 

HOWEVER, in a project befitting both the "related" part of the XL, AND the FGE/NX reefers, a few RF reefers appear to have made it into and through WWII. Those are discussed in the archives, but if you're just itching to build an XL style car, with their distinctive deep pressed steel side sills, these could added to the "to do" list with some relish, by those of us into reefers.

Regards,
Bruce

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of John Barry <northbaylines@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:47 PM
To: prrpro@groups.io <prrpro@groups.io>

Bruce,

I have lots of Ketchup as all of the following are applicable to my 1944 era Santa Fe layout set in Richmond, Calif.:

1)         F30, F30A, F30D, F30E flat cars    Military loads/boilers  

2)         R50b express reefers -

3)         X29 box car          

4)         G22 gondolas          steel  

10)       FM/FGR/FGRA flat cars   Military loads  

13)       X31, X31A, X31B, X31C box cars   

16)       FGE/BRE/WFE/NX wood reefers  -

22)       B60, B60A, B60B             Head end and Troop Trains.

23)       F22/23 flat cars -  I have a pair of AMB gun loads for my F&C cars.  Hunter’s Point and Mare Island are in the Bay Area.

27)       X26 boxcars                               

28)       GR/GRA gondola         Steel

30)       F28, F29, F33 flat cars                transformers

31)       X23 and related cars            

33)       X37, X38 boxcars - I never even got started on my X37, X37A, X37B, and X38 (Sunshine and F&C)

20)       XL class boxcars and related -  Were these all gone from revenue service by 44/45?  Or were some sold and used by other roads in 44?  If only in the MOW fleet, this Santa Fe guy won’t need any Mustard with my long list of Ketchup. 

With as large a backlog as I have, an idea for a new project is the X30 – I have one in plain Keystone with a 1963 reweigh date I need to back date to 1944 with Circle Keystone.  Anyone have one that they’d like to trade?

John Barry

james murrie

I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one with a Whole lot of kits sitting on the shelf :-)

Looking at everyone else's to do list I see I have some of the same ones. Opening the box I see I have a PB70F combine that i have already painted and decaled for #5104 to match a March 1950 Dixie Flagler Consist.  Not sure what halted the process for the last 10 years, it just never got assembled.

And I also spied FM and F22 flats awaiting completion to go with the 2 gun barrels that are also sitting on the shelf.  Certainly hope the guys at Bremerton aren't holding their breath!

I think its time to get out of the hot sun and into my cool basement.

Jim Murrie

Norm Bell

The words that strike fear in my heart are when my wife say's, "do you know what WE could do?" That means another change to the house that will keep me out if the basement for another long period of time. Now going on three years. Norm Bell

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:20 PM, james murrie via groups.io
<bi291@...> wrote:
I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one with a Whole lot of kits sitting on the shelf :-)

Looking at everyone else's to do list I see I have some of the same ones. Opening the box I see I have a PB70F combine that i have already painted and decaled for #5104 to match a March 1950 Dixie Flagler Consist.  Not sure what halted the process for the last 10 years, it just never got assembled.

And I also spied FM and F22 flats awaiting completion to go with the 2 gun barrels that are also sitting on the shelf.  Certainly hope the guys at Bremerton aren't holding their breath!

I think its time to get out of the hot sun and into my cool basement.

Jim Murrie

jamesgwilliams33@...

Long time lurker and owner of many partially completed projects.  I am most likely a candidate for “complete the projects you got”.  Here is what I have in process:

1)  2 R50b Express Refrigerator Cars

2)  7 N series Cabeese

3)  Remotoring an L 1

I vote for "Open"

Dave's Gmail

I’m good with whatever we do going forward. I’ve completed most of what I’ve wanted to on the list. I have to update some X29s and get back to my signals, but that’s about it. The reference photos are great, and I used Bruce’s photos to build the brake gear in my X31s.

For what it’s worth, I’m freight-car-ed out! I’d like to learn more about structures like stations, watering facilities, and yard structures.

Dave Wilson