From: Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...>
To: PRRPro@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 5:40 pm
Subject: [PRRPro] So this means I get to start over!

Hi List Members,

After a two-week break, I returned to working again on my N scale MBM62 RPO-baggage combine model. Upon sitting down afresh with this project, I looked at what I had so far, and where I was going, and I realized - something is wrong!

I have always known that both Model Power and LIMA made N scale models of the PRR PBM70 class cars. I also knew that they were not 100% entirely identical, that there were very small minor differences between them.

See linked image below...

One difference, as you can see, is that the LIMA product has a too-large RPO window. The Model Power product has a correctly sized RPO window. Naturally, when I started down this road, I cut up two LIMA cars to use as parts donors! Since the LIMA cars have the too-large RPO window, these parts are a no-go.So this means I get to start over! This time making sure I use Model Power product as the starting point. Oh well!

Claus Schlund

Dave's Gmail

Bill and Claus, building and rebuilding is part of modeling. I wish that all of my models were perfect, but they’re not. We all have to balance our need for accurate models, with our layouts and our time remaining.
Dave Wilson

On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:31 PM, diesell48 via groups.io <diesell48@...> wrote:

Hi Claus
such are the challenges of building passenger cars.  I know that "misery loves company" so I will tell you that I had to rebuild my 3-1 "Colonial" postwar sleeper lounge because I used Walthers GOO and the LH sides warped something terrible.  I did this years ago, before I knew better.  This was in HO, but it's still frustrating.  My target is not to build perfect, contest-quality models, but the warp was really more than I could bear.  I have a postwar 6bedroom "Falls"  lounge that I have packed away that I did at the same time.  I'm almost afraid to dig it out and check it.  Good luck with your project - my experience has been that once you think you know what you need and put it together something else jumps out at you.

Bill Millham

[...]

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Dave, Bill, and List members,

Yes, it is disappointing to have to start over. That said, I'm glad that I noticed the problem at a point where I was only losing about two hours worth of work. Much better to notice the problem now, would have been much worse after the thing were 90% done! The no-go parts will not go to waste, they will go into my parts bin and be rebuild into other PRR head-end equipment

Thanks guys for the truly thoughtful and supportive replies!

Claus Schlund

[...]

Bruce Smith

Claus, Folks,

I feel your pain!  I have been making slow progress sanding the body and inserts for the mPBM54. Much to my chagrin, the baggage door and windows fit longitudinally before all of the center vertical "batten" has been sanded away. To speak more clearly, the insert is shorter than the space it was headed for! I'm contemplating my options, but most likely will be to replace the baggage door post with a wider one to eat up the space. We'll see...

[...]

eastwest40

Just a question/suggestion.
Would the Kato Japanese 60" car be useful in this project? I have eight I bought from Japan around ten years ago for PRR stand ins. I don't use the PRR class as I can't remember it. No I don't want to sell them.
Con-Cor sold them in the past century in various road names. The coach has windows in groups of three as does the bag/coach and what was sold as a diner the windows are in groups of two. Just a question/suggestion. Parts could be used. I do have a bunch of these.
I bought a bunch of the Lima/MP PBM70 cars for projects I will never get around to.

Chuck Seemann   Aurora, Colorado
PRRT&HS 3369

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Chuck,

Are you refering to something like the link below?

If so, I am aware of these cars, but from my viewpoint they don't seem to have any direct application with respect to modeling PRR equipment.

Of course with enough effort, anything is possible, right?

Claus Schlund