From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of james murrie via groups.io <bi291@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:57 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>
Subject: [PRRPro] PB70F Truck recommendations ?

I am about to try and finish my NKP Car Co. PB70F after a hiatus of only about 12+ years.  Meaning I've completely forgot what bits and pieces I intended to use where.
 For some unknown reason I painted and lettered the sides ( to represent PRR 5104 in 1949) before I did any of the other construction.  Now I am ready to start on the underbody and am looking for recommendations for which HO scale trucks to use.
Thanks for any recommendations,
Jim Murrie
Durham, NC

Chuck Heuer

Jim,

Since I am currently working on a PB70R, I have some current information at hand.

The early trucks used on the PB70 were 3C-P1 type. I'm not sure who these might be currently available from, if anyone. Maybe BCW as Bruce mentions.

Starting with the in mid-late 1930s with rebuilt cars these were changed to 3D-P1. The trucks on the current Bachmann PB70 are 3D-P1 and afaik these were on all the earlier Spectrum versions as well. Walthers also makes a very nice 3D-P1 in the Proto line (p/n 920-2210), they call it a diner truck as these were also extensively used on Pennsy diners. Walthers also offers an "RPO" version of the same truck which has a stirrup step found only on Penny's RPOs added. These types are both currently on big sale at Walthers along with many of the other Proto trucks - looks like they are trying to clear out inventory.

A quick check of the as built photos of a PB70FR at the Hagley site confirm that it rode on 3D-P1 type trucks.

Chuck Heuer