Topics

M70b interior

Dave's Gmail

Group, I’m also planning on making an interior for this car. So, I printed out a scale size drawing from Rob’s site, and I began to draw up where some of the interior parts should go.

Dave Wilson

Rich C

Dave, Looking good. That is probably going to be at the end of my build. I managed to get a couple of the old school Walters roof removal hardware kits, so I can get it painted, do the interior, glazing and add window bars.

I am having BCW cast a couple of roofs that will fit my two. Soon as I hear back, I will place the order for them and various details.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 06:07:49 PM CST, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Group, I’m also planning on making an interior for this car. So, I printed out a scale size drawing from Rob’s site, and I began to draw up where some of the interior parts should go.

Dave Wilson

Dave's Gmail

Rich, the only issue I had was getting the roof to sit correctly, so I glued it in place. The under frame has the grove which helps to keep it level, however the sides bulge, so I added lugs on the interior to attach the floor.

So, I’m working at my interior from the bottom up.

Dave

On Feb 16, 2021, at 7:30 PM, Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

Dave, Looking good. That is probably going to be at the end of my build. I managed to get a couple of the old school Walters roof removal hardware kits, so I can get it painted, do the interior, glazing and add window bars.

I am having BCW cast a couple of roofs that will fit my two. Soon as I hear back, I will place the order for them and various details.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 06:07:49 PM CST, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

Group, I’m also planning on making an interior for this car. So, I printed out a scale size drawing from Rob’s site, and I began to draw up where some of the interior parts should go.

Dave Wilson

Rich C

Dave, I was thinking of some way to attach from the bottom using square stock that would be drilled and tapped, that I would glue to the inside of the sides. But like you, I thought the grooves or slots might make it fail, so that is why the roof removal kit. The other thing about the roof removal kit is I can add interior lighting if I choose.

I am sure I will run into the same issues you did, with the sides bulging

I am very interested in your lug mounting method.
Rich Christie

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 07:47:42 PM CST, Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Heuer

Edited

Rich, the method you describe to add interior stops to the sides both to establish fit and to be used to screw the assembled body to the floor is precisely the method prescribed in my NKP kit. Since the primary structural components in this design seem to be the BCW plastic roof - ends - floor with the sides playing more of a secondary role structurally. I was planning to proceed along the path described in the instructions in this regard but it is certainly still early enough I could change that. I am curious though about the Walthers "old style roof removal kit" you refer to as I am not familiar with this. Can you provide any further information or perhaps a link that will educate me? Thanks!

Chuck

Rich C

Chuck, I am glad you mentioned the info from the NKP kit. Like I mentioned I have the NKPs BM70M. I will dig out those instructions.

The Walthers Removable Hardware kit has 2 2-56 threaded rod pieces, 2 nuts, 2 solder lugs and a tapped piece of brass strip that maybe a 1/16 thick. You naturally need to mark the roof over the truck center and glue the strip to the roof. The threaded rod replaces the truck screws, so you need to use a clearance bit for 2-56.

 I remember making my own a long time ago with long 2-56 screws (which i may do again) as I don't like putting a small nut on the end of the rod. My fingers are not that nimble anymore. Attached are photos of the parts.

Rich Christie

[Edited Message Follows]