Topics

H25 Out of Paint (Plus Question)

Paul Alphonse

Alright all,

I've painted the first H25 in my three care lot.  For this car I used a different ratio of ScaleCoat colors than I have used for other cars.  I'm looking to gauge against others how this stacks up for a fair representation of FCC for cars in the late 40's to early 50's as I plan to place paint dates in that era.  Attached are two photos, I attempted to color correct them as best I could but the sun is flowing in and out of the clouds so the temp on target fluctuates.

The ratio is:
5 Parts 2002 Oxide Red
1 Part 2081 PRR Freight Car Color
1 Part 2027 IC Orange

Appreciate the input!
Paul

O Fenton Wells

Great color, Will look good when finished.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM Paul Alphonse <paullalphonse@...> wrote:
Alright all,

I've painted the first H25 in my three care lot.  For this car I used a different ratio of ScaleCoat colors than I have used for other cars.  I'm looking to gauge against others how this stacks up for a fair representation of FCC for cars in the late 40's to early 50's as I plan to place paint dates in that era.  Attached are two photos, I attempted to color correct them as best I could but the sun is flowing in and out of the clouds so the temp on target fluctuates.

The ratio is:
5 Parts 2002 Oxide Red
1 Part 2027 IC Orange

Appreciate the input!
Paul

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Benjamin Hom

Paul Alphonse wrote:
"I've painted the first H25 in my three care lot.  For this car I used a different ratio of ScaleCoat colors than I have used for other cars.  I'm looking to gauge against others how this stacks up for a fair representation of FCC for cars in the late 40's to early 50's as I plan to place paint dates in that era.  Attached are two photos, I attempted to color correct them as best I could but the sun is flowing in and out of the clouds so the temp on target fluctuates.

The ratio is:
5 Parts 2002 Oxide Red
1 Part 2027 IC Orange"

This 1939 Jack Delano photo from the Library of Congress' Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information (FSA/OWI) color collection gives you an idea of the latitude of color once you factor in weathering effects.

Ben Hom

Paul Alphonse

Fenton, thanks for the thumbs up.  And Ben, that photo makes me feel better that when I flat coat with this ratio it will fall into a lot of the color seen in that photo.  Could stand to be a bit more orange I suppose, and maybe a smidge of white but I don't have any white Scalecoat and its probably not truly necessary.

Bruce Smith

Edited

Paul,

Remember, you want late 40’s to early 50’s paint, so it’s going to be different from the 1930s paint seen in the photo. I’d go easy on the orange as it is reduced considerably in the 1940s paint, and if the car is a fresh 1950 repaint there should be little orange tint at all. 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Dec 9, 2020, at 3:02 PM, Paul Alphonse <paullalphonse@...> wrote:
Fenton, thanks for the thumbs up.  And Ben, that photo makes me feel better that when I flat coat with this ratio it will fall into a lot of the color seen in that photo.  Could stand to be a bit more orange I suppose, and maybe a smidge of white but I don't have any white Scalecoat and its probably not truly necessary.

decapod39

One of those H25's in service, out on the Panhandle.

Kat

Bill, Is that one of the H25's you bought from Paul Alphonse? Looks good. Was there a question that was supposed to be in your message?  Curt

-----Original Message-----
To: PRRPro@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Feb 10, 2021 8:58 pm
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] H25 Out of Paint (Plus Question)

One of those H25's in service, out on the Panhandle.

Paul Alphonse

Bill,

Thanks for the shot!  I've got a mess of more H25's and H21's to build now.  

Curt, I was originally asking the question as to whether or not my mix of paint seemed appropriate for the cars.  I think the color turned out pretty good after weathering if I do say so myself.

Paul

O Fenton Wells

That's a lot of painting work but they do look really well done!  thanks for posting
Fenton

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 10:56 PM Paul Alphonse <paullalphonse@...> wrote:
Bill,

Thanks for the shot!  I've got a mess of more H25's and H21's to build now.  

Curt, I was originally asking the question as to whether or not my mix of paint seemed appropriate for the cars.  I think the color turned out pretty good after weathering if I do say so myself.

Paul

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...