moderated G31D with rack

Kris Kollar

This car is stenciled return to the Reading Co when empty. Is that a reference to the Reading RR and if so what does that mean? Would it be leased to another railroad. Appreciate the education.

Kris Kollar

from my iPhone

nrmnbell

Looks to my uninformed eyes that it was set up for a repetative special load originating on the Reading and the racking would be removed at the end of the project.  Norm Bell

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 10:54 AM, Kris Kollar
<c4vette-prr@...> wrote:
This car is stenciled return to the Reading Co when empty. Is that a reference to the Reading RR and if so what does that mean? Would it be leased to another railroad. Appreciate the education.

Kris Kollar

from my iPhone

Bill Daniels

Yes. The Reading Railroad’s official name was “Reading Company.”

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

On May 4, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Kris Kollar <c4vette-prr@comcast.net> wrote:

This car is stenciled return to the Reading Co when empty. Is that a reference to the Reading RR and if so what does that mean? Would it be leased to another railroad. Appreciate the education.

Kris Kollar

from my iPhone

<i-BGLg9WW-L.jpg>

William Dale

When I had time, I spent many hours in the Reading Museum archives sorting their freight car files. I have run across foreign roads with “Return to Reading” stencils applied to them. The Reading did it’s fair share for the automobile industry. Their class XAPa for instance was originally constructed to move Willy’s Overland body parts. There was Budd, which shipped extensively, Dana in Reading itself with automobile frames. Now I don’t have anything exact on this particular gondola, but would safely bet it was in a service of this sort.

Bill Dale

Bill Daniels

Bill,

The “Return to Reading” stencil on those cars means to return the car to Reading, Pennsylvania. By the ICC rules of the day, cars had to be returned to the home railroad, so a stencil stating “Return to Reading RR” is unnecessary.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California