FD2/FW1 "Queen Mary" flat car nomination

James Trunzo

Group:

I think that building/detailing the FD2/FW1 in a variety of scales would make an excellent PRRPRo project.

I also offer the following:

I know the T1 truck frames are available in N scale of Shapeways. I'm no expert, but I believe the designer could upscale these to HO scale. I've sent him a message asking about it.

Kochs and Company has done a lot of detail work for their O scale version. They could be approached about permission to use some of their data (for personal use within a PRRPro project).

HO scale decals are available from Mt. Vernon Shops.

Anyone who has either a Railworks or ALCO brass kit already has a second car body. Just building the trucks portion would allow for the second body to be held in staging without and handling.

Both of the most photographed loads are available on Shapeways in HO (N also, I think).

Regards,
Jim Trunzo
East Wenatchee, WA

Peter Muto

You could also order spare parts from BLI.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, 09:34 James Trunzo <jetrunzo@...> wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth: no parts for this project are available from the BLI parts department:

Thank you for your inquiry. Right now, our stock of trucks for the PRR T1 series is very low (we didn't get a lot to start with); we must keep a certain number on hand for onsite repairs. Unfortunately, this means we are unable to sell these for after-market projects. We're very sorry, we wish we had a better answer! We appreciate the opportunity to assist, let us know if you have other questions.
--
Sincerely,
BLI Parts Department

Still working on the 3D printed possibility.

Jim Trunzo
East Wenatchee, WA

Daniel A. Mitchell

With this in mind, the only other possibilities are some brass T1 tender-truck, A diecast truck from a Bowser T1, or the trucks from a brass “Queen Mary” (Railworks of Alco).

NONE of these trucks come close to accurately representing the T1 tender trucks, except from a direct side-view.

As stated earlier, the trucks on the Queen Mary extend well past the narrow span-bolsters on each end, thus the TOPS and interiors of the trucks are very visible. They are NOT just side-frames. The interior of the trucks are nearly solid ... being massive castings. On my model conversion I detailed the tops of the trucks (the most visible part), but made no attempt to represent the interiors. The result, though not totally accurate, is a huge improvement.

One also needs to add the large support-horns, air-cylinders, and brake-levers that protrude from one end of each truck. While back underneath and in the shadows they are quite visible.

Along the lines stated above most any of the available T1 tender trucks can be dramatically improved.

What would be GREAT is if somebody would come up with a 3D-printed truck, or even just a top “shell” to add to an existing truck.

Here’s another photo of my (Alco) Queen Mary, with the Westinghouse armature-cask installed (taken by, and on the layout of Wayne Wilder).

On each span-bolster, on the outer ends of each truck, you can see the brake horns and levers. They are a tight fit on the inner trucks, between the truck-frame and the underside of the ends of the depressed-center section. They do clear, but not by much. I only run the car on wide-radius curves.

Here you can also see the large crate magnetically attached to one end-platform. I don’t know what was in it, but it shows up on photos of the prototype load.

And here’s a photo of the transformer load removed from the car. For both loads I made a false-bottom representing the FD2’s deck from styrene, and painted it to match the car. It just slips (almost snaps) into place on the car. All the tie-down rods and hardware are fastened to the false bottom. Thus the loads can be removed, or interchanged, easily.

Dan Mitchell