[EXT] Re: [PRRPro] Poll for project 36

Bruce Smith

Let's keep it to PRR gondolas if possible.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...>
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 2:04 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [PRRPro] Poll for project 36

CAUTION: Email Originated Outside of Auburn.
Hi Bruce,

I'd like to ask for some clarification...

The topic - “Toasted” gondolas - does that mean ANY ROAD's toasted gon, or does it specifically mean a toasted PRR gon?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 11:59 AM
Subject: [PRRPro] Poll for project 36

Folks,

I have closed the poll. “Toasted” gondolas was the clear winner, 24 to 13 over the FD2/FW1 flat car (maybe we can start that Jan 1, 2022?)

Project 36 will start July 1st.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Dave's Gmail

I definitely need to practice on non-PRR gons first. Sorry. Before Bowser, HO scale PRR equipment was rare. Pre 1992, the only prototypical PRR equipment was brass. I’m still in that mindset. 
Dave Wilson. 

On May 7, 2021, at 10:30 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...>

Hi Bruce,

The topic - “Toasted” gondolas - does that mean ANY ROAD's toasted gon, or does it specifically mean a toasted PRR gon?

Claus Schlund

Folks,

I have closed the poll. “Toasted” gondolas was the clear winner, 24 to 13 over the FD2/FW1 flat car (maybe we can start that Jan 1, 2022?)

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

greg snook

Much like learning to airbrush, there will be a sacrificial blue box car involved in this process for me as well.  
Cheers
Greg Snook

On Fri, May 7, 2021, 11:58 PM Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:
I definitely need to practice on non-PRR gons first. Sorry. Before Bowser, HO scale PRR equipment was rare. Pre 1992, the only prototypical PRR equipment was brass. I’m still in that mindset. 
Dave Wilson. 

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi Bruce,

Claus Schlund

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Pat McKinney

Bruce, 
             Maybe you can stretch the parameters a little to show the test cars with the final PRR car to see how they achieved there effect on the practice car or cars first. I think the heavy paint would be interesting to see with some graffiti and especially those who really toast a car and warp it with heat and then weather it.  Some of the test cars may still look good on a layout as a worn out rusted bucket but still in use or rusting away on a sdg.

Pat McKinney

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi Bruce,

Claus Schlund

Folks,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi,

Same for me - I will need to make an attempt at this with some other car from my junkbox. Ultimately, I'd like to try this on a PRR G26, but they are expensive and possibly out-of-production in N scale

Claus Schlund

Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2021 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [PRRPro] Poll for project 36

Much like learning to airbrush, there will be a sacrificial blue box car involved in this process for me as well.  
Cheers
Greg Snook

On Fri, May 7, 2021, 11:58 PM Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...> wrote:
Dave Wilson. 

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi Bruce,

Claus Schlund

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Bruce Smith

Pat, Folks,

Notice that I said "if possible". In my mind, that gives enough leeway that someone could use another car as a test car. I will note that in HO scale we have several excellent PRR cars that could be used as test beds without costing an arm and a leg. Among these are the Bowser GS gondola and the Walthers USRA (G25) gondola. In addition, the resin unibody kits for the G22, G28, and G29 from multiple manufacturers provide easy to assembly cars that would be excellent subjects for this project.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Pat McKinney via groups.io <PKMac101@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Bruce, 
             Maybe you can stretch the parameters a little to show the test cars with the final PRR car to see how they achieved there effect on the practice car or cars first. I think the heavy paint would be interesting to see with some graffiti and especially those who really toast a car and warp it with heat and then weather it.  Some of the test cars may still look good on a layout as a worn out rusted bucket but still in use or rusting away on a sdg.

Pat McKinney

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Hi Bruce,

Claus Schlund

Folks,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Paul Alphonse

To add to this the Intermountain G24 gondola is also a great, very detailed, very heavy model that could be retrofitted with brass in place of the wood sides.  Using brass one could do employ any number of creative methods to "toast" it.  

They go for about $35 on eBay and are a low-cost to low work alternative with respect to effort needed to put into say a resin kit.

Paul

Bruce Smith

Paul,

Excellent idea! In fact, the next issue of TKM will have articles on doing just that in both HO and N scale! 😉 That issue will be out momentarily.

However, that does add the complexity of another project on top of the weathering idea, and while many may "go for it", the gist of the current discussion was what would make a good "practice car" to develop techniques and potentially allow for the car to be stripped (multiple times?) The IM G24 is delicate enough that repeated stripping might be problematic. In addition, The G24 would be less likely to get "toasted" as it had a wood floor and as a consequence, you might have the challenge of modeling the burnt away floor too!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Paul Alphonse <paullalphonse@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 8, 2021 11:06 PM

To add to this the Intermountain G24 gondola is also a great, very detailed, very heavy model that could be retrofitted with brass in place of the wood sides.  Using brass one could do employ any number of creative methods to "toast" it.  

They go for about $35 on eBay and are a low-cost to low work alternative with respect to effort needed to put into say a resin kit.

Paul

nrmnbell

As a chemical engineer I would suggest thin steel panels instead of brass could be very realistically rusted or coroded and deformed.  Norm Bell

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM, Bruce Smith
<smithbf@...> wrote:
Paul,

Excellent idea! In fact, the next issue of TKM will have articles on doing just that in both HO and N scale! 😉 That issue will be out momentarily.

However, that does add the complexity of another project on top of the weathering idea, and while many may "go for it", the gist of the current discussion was what would make a good "practice car" to develop techniques and potentially allow for the car to be stripped (multiple times?) The IM G24 is delicate enough that repeated stripping might be problematic. In addition, The G24 would be less likely to get "toasted" as it had a wood floor and as a consequence, you might have the challenge of modeling the burnt away floor too!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Paul Alphonse <paullalphonse@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 8, 2021 11:06 PM

Paul