It has been a while since an update on my mPBM54T. I painted the body inside and out with Tamiya fine grey primer and also primed the interior. I had to fill, sand, and prime the blank in the 2nd RPO window several times to get rid of the gap at the edge. The
mPBM54T will get masked so that the inside won't get Tuscan, except at the ends of the car. The interior was masked so that the vestibule and operator's cab can get Tuscan. At the same time I'll spray the baggage car section floor caboose red with a few drops
of black for "Indian Red". Then I will brush paint the seats and RPO section. More on that to come.
If you recall, I also wanted to revise the vestibule end of an NJ Custom Brass PBM70. However, when I looked at the complexity, I decided I would live with the windows. I disassembled both that car and the PS92 (mPBM54 converted to a war emergency coach in
1942). The bodies, floors, and side frames were grit blasted with baking soda. That was not as effective at removing all the tarnish as AlO2, but it worked well enough. The floor and trucks were painted with several coats from a rattle can of Model Master
flat black enamel. I love this paint! It goes on wet, but levels beautifully.
The interiors of the car bodies were sprayed with Tamiya Fine Grey Primer. When that was dry, I masked the windows to avoid getting Tuscan on the interior.
Now, what Tuscan? I decided to do all 3 in 1940s Tuscan. The brass cars would get Scalecoat and the plastic would get the last of my go to acrylic light Tuscan, PolyScale Oxide Red. Here's how I figured out a Scalecoat mix I liked.
First, I took every "Tuscan" or related paint (e.g. boxcar red) and put a drop on some white styrene. When that was dry, I compared it to my standards (Being chair of the PRRT&HS Paint Commitee has it's advantages, as I have a set of the color swatches that
we determined). I did this in sunlight, with incandescent light. Here's what I found:
Polyscale Oxide Red. Pretty close to 1940s Tuscan. It looks just a bit brown, so I added a few drops of Daylight Orange and it is great.
Vallejo - I'm going to have to work on this... 818 red leather is close to 1930s Tuscan.
Scalecoat 1 Oxide Red 2 is close to 1930 Tuscan. It needs some brown and orange.
Scalecoat 1 Boxcar Red is close to 1940 Tuscan but too dark. Adding some Oxide Red 2 might get it there....
To get a better 1940 color, I took a piece of white styrene and dotted straight BCR, and then 4:1, 4:2, 4:3, and 4:4 BCR/OR2. Then I took straight OR2 and did the same dilution series in reverse. When it was all dry, the 4:2 (or 2:1) Boxcar Red to Oxide Red
2 was just about perfect. I have my 1940s enamel Tuscan! I applied the 1st coat tonight. I didn't want to accidentally mix trace solvents in the airbrush, so the mPBM54T will wait for another day to get painted with my PolyScale mix.
The 1:4 BCR to OR2 was pretty close to 1930 Tuscan, but it needs some orange. I'll play with that later.