Topics

[EXT] Re: [PRRPro] MPBM54 photo

Bruce Smith

Dave,

I believe that it may be a gas line for gas lighting in the car.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 6:30 PM
To: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [PRRPro] MPBM54 photo
 Very cool. Thanks, Claus! Does anyone know what the “wire” on the roof is? I’m guessing it’s conduit, but I don’t understand why they would put it on the roof instead of inside the car. 

Dave Wilson 

On Mar 1, 2021, at 7:02 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Perhaps some of us might be interested in this linked image of a PRR class MPBM54 RPO-baggage-coach combine car...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Pat McKinney

Bruce,
             I would have thought that lights would have been electric by that time. But if it was for gas, where would a tank have been placed in the car to supply the gas? Wonder if it was refilled at the coach Yd or was the tank exchanged at the Yd?  Some place in the Yd there must have been a large storage tank.  Curious if that tank was refilled by a pipeline?  Wonder if there any photos of the refilling facility?

Pat McKinney

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Mar 2, 2021 10:03 am
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [PRRPro] MPBM54 photo

Dave,

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Dave's Gmail <davidchriswilson@...>
 Very cool. Thanks, Claus! Does anyone know what the “wire” on the roof is? I’m guessing it’s conduit, but I don’t understand why they would put it on the roof instead of inside the car. 

Dave Wilson 

Hi List Members,

Perhaps some of us might be interested in this linked image of a PRR class MPBM54 RPO-baggage-coach combine car...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Chuck Heuer

Agreeing with Pat, I'm pretty sure that's electrical conduit for lighting and or ventilators. I note battery boxes  visible below the baggage door. Also, built (in 1916, year of this photo) as mPB they were designed from the start for possible electric zone service use - why would gas have been used? Almost a decade earlier the PRR was building its early steel cars with generators and electric light. 

Chuck Heuer

Bruce Smith

Pat,

All excellent questions. In thinking further about this, I think that these cars would probably have been electric. I don't know for sure if they were built with Pintsch gas systems or not, but some of the early cars lack battery boxes. I don't know much more about these systems.,

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: PRRPro@groups.io <PRRPro@groups.io> on behalf of Pat McKinney via groups.io <PKMac101@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 9:41 AM

Bruce,
             I would have thought that lights would have been electric by that time. But if it was for gas, where would a tank have been placed in the car to supply the gas? Wonder if it was refilled at the coach Yd or was the tank exchanged at the Yd?  Some place in the Yd there must have been a large storage tank.  Curious if that tank was refilled by a pipeline?  Wonder if there any photos of the refilling facility?

Pat McKinney

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Mar 2, 2021 10:03 am

Dave,

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Dave Wilson 

Hi List Members,

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Jack Mullen

The size of the pipe and presence of large elongated fittings at junctions tend to confirm that this is electrical conduit. Cars fitted with both electric and gas show the gas pipe is smaller diameter and branches have relatively inconspicuous tees or ells. Electric junction boxes are large, with a flat face for the access cover.

Jack Mullen