Topics

[EXT] [PRRPro] MPBM54 photo

Bruce Smith

Steve,

There is no record that I know of, of these cars going to the LV. One was sold to the Durham and Southern in 1933. I do know that at least one of the PS92 wartime coach conversions was also sold to the Buffalo Creek and Gauley (along with a wartime conversion of an mBM62 to class PS72) to become BC&G 18 and 17 respectively (http://www.buffalocreekandgauley.com/ROLLINGSTOCK/Passenger/PassengerCars.html)

You wouldn’t have a photograph that you could share, or a link to one, would you?

On Mar 2, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Steve Lucas via groups.io <midrly@...> wrote:

Were some of the MPBM54 cars later modified, and sold to the Lehigh Valley RR?  There's photos of a similar car with two less windows in the passenger compartment running into and out of Toronto on the CN/LV Maple Leaf in the 1950's.

Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas

Bruce, the LV combination car that I'm referring to is in the centre of this image taken in the west end of Toronto in the 1950's.  It's between the baggage car and sleeping car.  They were a regular fixture on the LV/CN New York City-Toronto "Maple Leaf". Somewhat similar to the PRR car referenced in the discussion, but on closer examination not apparently a PRR design.

Steve Lucas

Bruce Smith

Steve,

Interesting photo. I do not think that the car pictured has PRR heritage. Among the many issues, the roof and clerestory are not correct for an mPBM54. In addition if that is a mail compartment door to the left of the baggage door and behind the post, it is in the wrong place. You've noted the issue with the number of windows in the passenger section, but if you add back the missing two, that would require the baggage door to move. The trucks are hard to see, but do not look like the trucks on the mPBM54. And is that an open ended car? The end is in shadows, but it almost looks like it has an open end platform.

So, unless the car had significant rebuilding, it seems unlikely that is an ex-PRR mPBM54.