Bachman P70 upgrades

shelb68man

Group members, Here are some pictures of what I have been doing lately. I started to experiment on upgrading my Bachman/Spectrum P70 cars into more accurate models of the prototype. Originally, I was just going to change some into P70R models using underbody details from  PRR -Parts.com, but bought some BLI P70R’s instead( they are beautiful!). So, I decided to try and convert my old Bachmann cars into other P70 classes currently unavailable. So far I have attempted to model classes- P70D & P70H- (can’t see much outward differences), P70FR #1860-(unique car?), and P70FBR-(the most involved so far). I may also attempt to do a P70FR single vestuble car. Of course, once I am finished some company will come with these ready to run ! Charles Chandler

O Fenton Wells

Well done, Charles.  interesting build
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Andy Miller

Charles,  Eastern Car Works did the P70FBR as a kit.  While ECW has not been heard from for many years, their kits can still be found occasionally on eBay or at train shows.  ECW did both the earlier monitor roof version as well as the later rebuild with a balloon roof.     I have kit bashed a single vestibule P70fr from their P70 kits – 2 cars from 3 kits.

Regards,

Andy Miller

Group members, Here are some pictures of what I have been doing lately. I started to experiment on upgrading my Bachman/Spectrum P70 cars into more accurate models of the prototype. Originally, I was just going to change some into P70R models using underbody details from  PRR -Parts.com, but bought some BLI P70R’s instead( they are beautiful!). So, I decided to try and convert my old Bachmann cars into other P70 classes currently unavailable. So far I have attempted to model classes- P70D & P70H- (can’t see much outward differences), P70FR #1860-(unique car?), and P70FBR-(the most involved so far). I may also attempt to do a P70FR single vestuble car. Of course, once I am finished some company will come with these ready to run ! Charles Chandler

diesell48

Yes, very nice.  I have always wondered if that pix of the 2 vestibule P70FR was a misidentified picture or was perhaps a PRR trial balloon.  I too have PRR 1860.  Just goes to show you... PRR could take the words "always" and "never" and just remove them from the dictionary.  Anyhow what looks like a P70fbr in progress is very interesting.

Bill Millham

[...]

Thomas DeStefano

Nice work Charles. As mentioned by someone else, more pictures would be interesting and informative. Where did you get the round/balloon roof, and was it a relatively simple fit? I have several of these cars and the truck sideframes are too low. I have raised a pair of these trucks by gluing thin washers on the inside of the sideframes to carry the truck a bit higher on the axle and, as I recall, without having to enlarge the original sideframe "indent".  They still roll pretty well. (The coupler height then has to be slightly adjusted.) Is there a simpler fix? Thanks.   Tom DeStefano

Group members, Here are some pictures of what I have been doing lately. I started to experiment on upgrading my Bachman/Spectrum P70 cars into more accurate models of the prototype. Originally, I was just going to change some into P70R models using underbody details from  PRR -Parts.com, but bought some BLI P70R’s instead( they are beautiful!). So, I decided to try and convert my old Bachmann cars into other P70 classes currently unavailable. So far I have attempted to model classes- P70D & P70H- (can’t see much outward differences), P70FR #1860-(unique car?), and P70FBR-(the most involved so far). I may also attempt to do a P70FR single vestuble car. Of course, once I am finished some company will come with these ready to run ! Charles Chandler

christer@...

Great Work Charles,

Now it is time to have the passengers occupy their seats.

Christer

Group members, Here are some pictures of what I have been doing lately. I started to experiment on upgrading my Bachman/Spectrum P70 cars into more accurate models of the prototype. Originally, I was just going to change some into P70R models using underbody details from  PRR -Parts.com, but bought some BLI P70R’s instead( they are beautiful!). So, I decided to try and convert my old Bachmann cars into other P70 classes currently unavailable. So far I have attempted to model classes- P70D & P70H- (can’t see much outward differences), P70FR #1860-(unique car?), and P70FBR-(the most involved so far). I may also attempt to do a P70FR single vestuble car. Of course, once I am finished some company will come with these ready to run ! Charles Chandler

shelb68man

Andy, Yes I am aware of the old Alco & ECW P70FBR kits and I have been able to acquire five of them over the past several years. They are definitely a better choice but are getting harder to find and seem to sell for prices close to what a new BLI P70 model costs (or at least a BLI refurbished one)! Since I model the PRR in Philadelphia during the 1950's, I realized that for my layout, I should have less P70's and more P70FBR's. I own about twenty of the Bachmann P70 coaches and thought that converting some into P70FBR coaches might solve my problem. I would love to see a picture on how your P70FR turned out- you do such great work. Charles Chandler

shelb68man

Tom, the round roof came from the old Alco P70FBR kit- it fits the Bachmann P70 perfectly. Since I model the 1950's and P70FBR coaches did not get converted to round roofs until the early 1960's these roofs are being used on other P70 coaches. I do agree that the Bachmann 2DP5 trucks seem to ride too low, but I have not tried to address it yet. Most people I know, just run them as is. Your solution sounds interesting and I just may have to try it. Thanks, Charles Chandler

shelb68man

Group,  some have asked for more details about my upgrading of the Bachmann P70 cars. To begin, you need to break the car down until it is just a shell by removing all parts- hand rails, diaphragms and all underbody parts.. The old glue makes this an easy chore. Next the brakes molded into each car end are removed (see photo). The swing coupler system needs to be removed so that Kadee couplers can be body mounted. Because of the swing coupler system, the bulkheads do not go all the way down to the floor (see photo) so they need to be extended down with .030 styrene. On the underbody, all the little mounting holes are filled in and the far too shallow center beam is built up with two pieces of .080 x.188 styrene (see photo). PRR-Parts.com angled channel brackets are installed and I also use their partialy rounded water tanks when needed. No cars have been painted or decals added yet since I'm still searching for a 1950's tuscan paint color that I like. Suggestions?  Some of my cars may retain the original paint- just to show a little variety in colors. The finished cars will not be contest quality models but rather something that wil be found to acceptable on most layouts. When I am finished, I plan to submit an article to TKM showing more details. As per my usual style of modeling I have at least three different projects going on at the same time and I'm still trying to finish my Philadelphia Terminal Div. layout! My focus with the Bachmann cars will be limited to the P70,  the P70FBR and possibly the P70H & P70D cars. I need to find more pictures & info on the class P70H & P70D cars, so if anybody has some to share or can point me into the right direction, it would be appreciated. Charles Chandler