Topics

a PB70R project - progress

Chuck Heuer

The underside of my Bachmann PB70R is done (almost). I may eventually try to fabricate something for icebox latches if I don't turn up some of the etched ones and I will probably add some narrow extensions of the center sill back in under the inside ends of the trucks next time I have them off at such thickness that is not the limiting factor on truck rotation. Steam, air and signal lines will also be left until the end. With long shank fixed mount couplers it passed road testing on my +/- 26" tightest radius section and #5 yard switches. Next I have work to do on the body, both interior and exterior (I am not messing with the factory exterior paint however). In the side view here it is coupled to a Walthers BM70n (13'-6" roof) for comparison.

Chuck Heuer

Jun 23

Hi PRRPro list,

I am working on an HO PB70R, my first project qualified for this list. As a relative newcomer I expect to be forever in "catchup mode"! This project is an improved rendering of a recent production Bachmann combine as a post war (early 1950s) car with ice air.

I have a plan and have acquired almost all the parts needed, with lots of guidance found in the archives of this list among other sources - thanks to all who have been here before and shared! There are, however, a couple of things I am hoping I might be able to get some help on here:

First, I need at least 12 of the etched brass latches for the ice bunkers which prr-parts did back when. I was able to get all his resin parts but he outsourced the etching of the latches and has not had more produced for lack of demand to justify the upfront outlay. So I would be happy to acquire any unused and unneeded remainders in your parts collection for a reasonable price+postage. Reply off list if you can assist, thanks!

I have also not been able to locate suitable 2 step stirrups for the baggage end of the car. Suggestions on this welcome. I'm also looking for suggestions on a reasonably correct, narrow 4 panel door for both the baggage end and the entry to the passenger compartment at both ends.

Attached is a picture of underbody work in progress, including modified Walthers trucks and relocated body bolsters. The baggage end truck is moved a scale 2 ft toward the car end to better capture the look, in lieu of being able to actually cut the car length down by 2 1/2 scale feet. Changing the trucks is also allowing me to lower the body to achieve the correct scale height of the car.

Chuck Heuer

Bruce Smith

Chuck,

Nice work!

Bruce

The underside of my Bachmann PB70R is done (almost). I may eventually try to fabricate something for icebox latches if I don't turn up some of the etched ones and I will probably add some narrow extensions of the center sill back in under the inside ends of the trucks next time I have them off at such thickness that is not the limiting factor on truck rotation. Steam, air and signal lines will also be left until the end. With long shank fixed mount couplers it passed road testing on my +/- 26" tightest radius section and #5 yard switches. Next I have work to do on the body, both interior and exterior (I am not messing with the factory exterior paint however). In the side view here it is coupled to a Walthers BM70n (13'-6" roof) for comparison.

Chuck Heuer

Jun 23   #10116

[...]

diesell48

looks very nice Chuck.  BCW makes wooden doors with the 2 slot windows on each door, and the also make those double steps for the baggage end and under the bagg doors.  I've never been able to duplicate the bend in the steps that wraps the one rung of these steps onto the car end... at least not to my satisfaction.  Let me see what I have or can spare in my "PRR Parts" envelope.  No promises yet.  Eastern Car Works did do ice chests a long time ago, but you almost never see these and they are far inferior to the PRR parts ice chests.  One of the things that is  important is to move those trucks at the baggage end as far forward as you reasonably can without compromising the run qualities of the car, which you have done.  Not much you can do about the fact that the car is a shade longer than it should be.  Anyhow, she's a good looking job!

Bill Millham

[...]

christer@...

Nice Work

Christer

06.07.2020 23:51 skrev Chuck Heuer:

[...]

Thanks for the kind works guys!

Bill, do let me know if I hit the lottery in your parts stash, that would be awesome! I moved the baggage end truck forward about 2 scale feet, I actually settled on the location more on the visual balance of that end, trying to best capture the entirety of the look while minimizing the impact of the model's extra length. Of course I did confirm that my desired location was going to provide adequate clearances for operation.

Regarding the BCW steps, I have seen references to both Kitbits #86 and #87 as 2 step baggage car stirrups, does anyone know the difference and which one is actually correct here?

Chuck Heuer

diesell48

Chuck you were smart to confirm those clearances.  Adding those bagg end steps will probably complicate matters as far as the truck "swing" goes... usually it's the stirrups under the bagg doors that are problematic.  I can't say with this specific car but those 3 axle trucks take up much more swing space than the two axle trucks, and I do recall having to move or fudge stuff to get ample truck swing.  You can attach the steps directly to the trucks, but that looks like hell when the car is on a curve...looks like a wing sticking out. one idea I have heard but not tried is to attach rubber strips to the back of the steps so that the truck swing will force the step out and slightly up.  I didn't do this because I don't think it would look much better on curves and I think the rubber would likely rot away.  This is one of my "I can't solve that" dilemmas.  Not a problem on a display model, but, IMO you have nothing if it won't run.

For the cost of the steps I would probably just buy them both and go with what looks right, metrics be damned.  Those wood doors with the slot windows aren't expensive either.

Let me go through my stuff (Way too much stuff!) and see what I got.  No promises, as I do wanna do one more P70R as well as air condition a diner and a combine.  I will let ya know.  Price will be what I paid for the stuff.

Not sure exactly when you model or what specific part of the railroad you model.

Bill Millham