Photo B70a 6063 Hamlet.jpg uploaded #photo-notice

PRRPro@groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following photos have been uploaded to the Horse/Theater Scenery cars (B70A, B74A, B74B) prototype and models album of the PRRPro@groups.io group.

By: Doug Kisala <dougkisala@...>

George Eichelberger

Might it be possible to obtain copies of the PRR drawings for these cars? In particular, we need under frame and brake arrangements. The kits for both cars do not really offer much in the way of details. (The under frame drawings will also be helpful for anyone modeling the Southern, ACL and Seaboard versions of the horse cars.) The sides to my PRR horse car are done but I want to know more about the underframe details before I attempt to finish the car.

I’ve added a photo of the Southern model to Bruce’s collection. The SR prototype, and model, had windows along the sides, “NAC” cars in the South needed the ventilation. The Southern blanked the windows and converted the cars to express service early in WWII. After that, Southern relied on PRR horse cars. There are multiple documents in the SRHA archives showing the PRR cars, usually to and from Aiken, SC.

Ike

PS I am using (slightly) modified Branchline coach parts for several head-end car projects. The wheelbase is “close” and the rivet, etc details look good.

On Jan 1, 2022, at 10:16 AM, PRRPro@groups.io Notification <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

The following photos have been uploaded to the Horse/Theater Scenery cars (B70A, B74A, B74B) prototype and models album of the PRRPro@groups.io group.

By: Doug Kisala <dougkisala@...>

O Fenton Wells

The horse car looks good, Ike.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bruce Smith

George, Folks,

I hope that we can find something that works to provide underbody details for all 3 classes. Since I will be building a B74A from a Bethlehem kit, you might be able to predict where my efforts will be centered. Of course, I have photos posted of the underbodies of both of the other cars that the group is doing (B70A, B74B) so, for the most part, you can puzzle those out.

I've been looking at photos of the B74A to try to discern the position of the underbody equipment and I'm pretty happy that I have the major pieces correct. Of course, you then flip a page a find a car that does not agree! Very PRR-like to not keep it "standard"!

References that are useful include:
Pennsylvania Baggage and Mail Cars, by Liljestrand and Sweetland
The Keystone, vol 43, no. 1, "PRR Steel Horse Express Cars" by Frank C. Kozempel, pp 23-39.