Classes M70 and M70a, and Class BM70n

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Folks,

A bit late out of the chute, but I have two BCW M70b kits I plan, like Rich, to back date to an M70 and an M70a.  They’ll both require replacement roofs, which I hope to have in hand in a few weeks.  The M70 otherwise seems fairly straight forward, and I’ll build that one first.  M70a, however, will require some slicing and dicing, for which I’ve ordered some additional M70b sides from BCW.  I’ve yet to figure out the best way to approach the slicing and dicing.  I note that Claus is using vertical cuts and Bruce as apparently taken a longitudinal section of windows from one side by cutting just below the letter board.  I was originally thinking about moving windows an doors and not complete vertical cuts of the sides, but that presents problems with rivet patterns and the lengths of side panels, so now I’m back on the proverbial fence.

Regarding the BM70n, which is not a car I’m looking to build at the moment, but if any of you are contemplating a BM70n, the railroad museum in Danbury, Connecticut, is (or was at at least) home to PRR 6563.  Several years ago, the NE Chapter visited the museum, in conjunction with one of our quarterly meetings and I took the opportunity to photograph the car inside and out.  If there is interest, I’ll figure out how to post them to the Group’s photo section.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966