PRR Mail Car/RPO project - MBM62 baggage-RPO combine in N scale

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I finally got a prior project finished and off my workbench - this means I can start real progress on my N scale MBM62 model - yea!

As prep work, I had previously sketched out a slice-and-dice approach, some of you will have seen this image before, it is included here for completeness...

Just like Burce did some time back, I spent about 30 minutes with a razor saw cutting up a LIMA N-scale PBM70 model into a 'flat kit'. I started by removing any underbody parts worth keeping, then sliced off the sides from the underframe - see image below:

Next job is to clean the back side of these parts so they are perfectly flat, removing the left-over material that can be seen at the image below:

More later...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2021 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] PRR Mail Car/RPO project - MBM62 baggage-RPO combine in N scale

Hi List Members,

I'm looking at doing a PRR class MBM62 baggage-RPO car for this project. An example of such a car, PRR 5403 can be seen at the link below.

While undated, the image can be no earlier than 1929, the year Railway Express Agency was founded. The image is from Vol 31 No 2 pg 6 of "The Milestone" and is probably the same as that referenced by the web link found below...

I spent some time and did a little 'virtual plastic surgery' to put together the required side sections from a Model Power PBM70, the colored arrows indicating roughly which sections came from what part of the donor car. The black rectangles show where window openings need to be cut.

What do you all think? Looks plausible to me!!!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2021 12:07 PM
Subject: [PRRPro] PRR Mail Car/RPO project is now open for discussion

Folks,

Happy New Year!  

The PRR mail car/railway post office project is now open for discussion. Please feel free to post your ideas, progress and problems to the list, and any photos to the photo album I have created. Files on the project should go in the folder in the Files section of the web site. 

Regards,
Bruce 
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

Rod Clifford

Claus,
Thanks for sharing the planning and steps so far. Looking at the prototype photo from your earlier post, please share how you plan to recreate the round end windows in n scale.  Rod Clifford

On Feb 12, 2021, at 3:34 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I finally got a prior project finished and off my workbench - this means I can start real progress on my N scale MBM62 model - yea!

As prep work, I had previously sketched out a slice-and-dice approach, some of you will have seen this image before, it is included here for completeness...

Just like Burce did some time back, I spent about 30 minutes with a razor saw cutting up a LIMA N-scale PBM70 model into a 'flat kit'. I started by removing any underbody parts worth keeping, then sliced off the sides from the underframe - see image below:

Next job is to clean the back side of these parts so they are perfectly flat, removing the left-over material that can be seen at the image below:

More later...

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Rod,

Rod asked: "please share how you plan to recreate the round end windows in n scale"

One of those bridges that I will cross when I get there - I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out myself!  I'll come up with something though, that's for sure!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] PRR Mail Car/RPO project - MBM62 baggage-RPO combine in N scale

Claus,
Thanks for sharing the planning and steps so far. Looking at the prototype photo from your earlier post, please share how you plan to recreate the round end windows in n scale.  Rod Clifford

On Feb 12, 2021, at 3:34 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

More later...

Claus Schlund

Rich C

Looking good Claus. I am slowly but surely proceeding on my HO M70 & M70A. As I reported I had some issues with mating roofs. I will be ordering Clerestory roofs along with vents and screens from Bethlehem Car Works. They have appeared to drop some of their detail parts. LaBelle has picked up all their metal castings.

I plan on starting with the roofs, grab irons (all of which must be bent by hand) on both cars. Going to be baby steps for awhile.

The M70A is my attempt at replicating your N scale effort following your article in TKM. I have 3 Rivarossi RPOs as the donors. I will be turning them into flat kits and mating them to the major Bethlehem components (roof, floor, etc.)

Rich Christie

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Rich,

I too am working on one each of the M70 and M70a.  I’m starting with a pair of BCW M70b kits, but I’m very curious to know which Rivarossi RPO kits you’re using for your M70a.  Also, which BCW roofs are you planning to use?

Thanks,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 8:13 PM
To: prrpro@groups.io

Looking good Claus. I am slowly but surely proceeding on my HO M70 & M70A. As I reported I had some issues with mating roofs. I will be ordering Clerestory roofs along with vents and screens from Bethlehem Car Works. They have appeared to drop some of their detail parts. LaBelle has picked up all their metal castings.

I plan on starting with the roofs, grab irons (all of which must be bent by hand) on both cars. Going to be baby steps for awhile.

The M70A is my attempt at replicating your N scale effort following your article in TKM. I have 3 Rivarossi RPOs as the donors. I will be turning them into flat kits and mating them to the major Bethlehem components (roof, floor, etc.)

Rich Christie

Rich C

Ralph and group, I plan on using 3 70' Clerestory roofs from Bethlehem. They will need to be spliced to get the 71'6" +/-, the measurement for the Pennsy 74' cars. I used the Bethlehem B70 roof to determine this. 

For the M70A, I have 3 Rivarossi 72' Heavyweight RPO's. The reason for them is the windows. One side has 3+space+3 windows, while the other side has space+2+space+4 windows. The M70As were built by ACF with different sheathing than the M70 as per the Keystone article. The Rivarossi RPO has only 3 windows per side.

I plan on cutting up the 3 cars and make flat kits. I will have to rely on diagrams and other data to determine proper spacing. I am thinking of scanning the drawing in the Keystone and shrinking it to HO scale.

I was originally going to reuse the Rivarossi roofs, but no dice. They are too short and too shallow, therefore leaving a large gap between the car ends and roof, about a scale 8"!

BTW, I did not measure the windows between the 2 cars. The M70B windows appear larger, just saying. I will measure again when I return to the project.

Rich Christie 

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Rich, et al.,

Is it the BCW Kit Bit No. 27 roof that you are using, or does John have another 70” roof?

Assuming that the drawings in the Spring 1993 issue of The Keystone are all done to the same scale, the windows on the M70A appear to be about 7.7% narrower than those on the M70.  I’d be very interested to know you determine the measurements to be.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 9:43 PM
To: prrpro@groups.io

Ralph and group, I plan on using 3 70' Clerestory roofs from Bethlehem. They will need to be spliced to get the 71'6" +/-, the measurement for the Pennsy 74' cars. I used the Bethlehem B70 roof to determine this.

For the M70A, I have 3 Rivarossi 72' Heavyweight RPO's. The reason for them is the windows. One side has 3+space+3 windows, while the other side has space+2+space+4 windows. The M70As were built by ACF with different sheathing than the M70 as per the Keystone article. The Rivarossi RPO has only 3 windows per side.

I plan on cutting up the 3 cars and make flat kits. I will have to rely on diagrams and other data to determine proper spacing. I am thinking of scanning the drawing in the Keystone and shrinking it to HO scale.

I was originally going to reuse the Rivarossi roofs, but no dice. They are too short and too shallow, therefore leaving a large gap between the car ends and roof, about a scale 8"!

BTW, I did not measure the windows between the 2 cars. The M70B windows appear larger, just saying. I will measure again when I return to the project.

Rich Christie

Rich C

Ralph and group,

Yes it is the BCW #27 70' Clerestory roof.

I have yet to measure the window sizes between the M70 & M70A. Will do that Monday at the earliest. Of course I will measure the Rivarossi windows also for comparison. Remember the M70A was built by ACF so there is a good chance the windows are different sizes.

What I really need to do is scan the diagrams from Rob's Pennsy page or the  Keystone and scale them for HO.

Rich Christie