Topics

a PB70R project

Chuck Heuer

Hi PRRPro list,

I am working on an HO PB70R, my first project qualified for this list. As a relative newcomer I expect to be forever in "catchup mode"! This project is an improved rendering of a recent production Bachmann combine as a post war (early 1950s) car with ice air.

I have a plan and have acquired almost all the parts needed, with lots of guidance found in the archives of this list among other sources - thanks to all who have been here before and shared! There are, however, a couple of things I am hoping I might be able to get some help on here:

First, I need at least 12 of the etched brass latches for the ice bunkers which prr-parts did back when. I was able to get all his resin parts but he outsourced the etching of the latches and has not had more produced for lack of demand to justify the upfront outlay. So I would be happy to acquire any unused and unneeded remainders in your parts collection for a reasonable price+postage. Reply off list if you can assist, thanks!

I have also not been able to locate suitable 2 step stirrups for the baggage end of the car. Suggestions on this welcome. I'm also looking for suggestions on a reasonably correct, narrow 4 panel door for both the baggage end and the entry to the passenger compartment at both ends.

Attached is a picture of underbody work in progress, including modified Walthers trucks and relocated body bolsters. The baggage end truck is moved a scale 2 ft toward the car end to better capture the look, in lieu of being able to actually cut the car length down by 2 1/2 scale feet. Changing the trucks is also allowing me to lower the body to achieve the correct scale height of the car.

Chuck Heuer

Bruce Smith

Chuck,

Looking good!  For the steps, I looked at Bethlehem Car Shops kitties, as they used to have them, but I can't find them there now.

[...]

steve_wintner

Chuck,

I'm not sure if they'd suit this project, but there are some 2 step stirrups available from Yarmouth

http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/ModelDetailParts/Stirrups

And I bet you could make a 2 step stirrup from his etched stirrups, either soldering or super gluing. Eduard also offers etched strips in Stainless, if you'd prefer them.

Precision Scale also offers some, 33297, maybe others

Chuck Heuer

Thanks Bruce, I was aware of the BCW kitbits stirrups but as you indicate, apparently not available anymore. I will make an inquiry however as those actually seem to be very similar to the ones B'mann uses for the baggage door. Anyone have excess?

Steve, thanks for the Yarmouth suggestion, I had looked at them initially but on a relook I think they probably are a good basis for fabricating what I need, as you suggest. I actually got some from PSC along with some other parts that I am using, but the cast brass stirrups are very clunky in appearance and not at all satisfying for the application.

thanks!
Chuck

Norm Bell

Hey Bruce, excuse my ignorance but what the #&#& is a kittel. Is that some kind of a cat?  Norm Bell

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:18 PM, Chuck Heuer
<hiker120@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Norm,

Well, actually, my email said "kitties" 😉 which is definitely some kind of cat. Did you not know that ECW's cats were in charge of the etched parts department? It used to be called "kit bits" but apparently the feline species have finally succeeded in their plan to rule the world and have infiltrated my computer, causing "kit bits" to come out as "kitties". All part of their plan, I am sure!

<hiker120@...> wrote:
[...]

jenotsprr

Moderator's note - please remember to sign your emails - Bruce Smith

I have heard tell of a Veterinarian somewhere down south who has taught his cats how to weather rolling stock......

steve_wintner

Chuck, im im working on a different RPO, Soo line, using the cast stirrups - but I agree the cast ones are thick... Especially next to .008 phosphor bronze grabs...

Steve