toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Thanks Claus, my eyes are starting to betray me a bit, so I have to use a magnifier these days. Anyway, my favorite Beetle Bailey cartoon involved someone saying that paint hides defects and ended with Sarge painting Beetle. So, I usually follow that mantra. :)
Kudos to your N-scale vision! I’m always impressed with your work!
On Feb 16, 2021, at 7:51 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:
Nice work on the steps and grabs - looking good.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 7:04
Subject: [PRRPro] M70b
Group, The next task on my M70b was to attach the eight steps
to the car. Unfortunately, the plastic steps included with the kit cracked and
fell apart when I looked at them. So, I decided to make replacements out of
thin brass strip. I did this by constructing a jig from thick styrene strip
and a scrap piece of styrene sheet. I made the first bend with needle nose
pliers and used the jig to start the second bend. Then I made the second bend
sharper with the pliers. The mounting feet were bent by lining the partially
bent stirrup up with the instruction drawings and bending them again with the
pliers. I didn’t mess any up!! 👀
I made the inner rung in a similar
manner and glued them together with CA.
The next challenge I faced was
mounting them because butt-ended glue-only joints never hold. I had a little
bit of “meat” to work with on the car sides, so I drilled #78 holes in the
sides towards the center sill. I put in a piece of 0.008” wire and bent it
around the foot of the stirrup. I then applied some CA and let it dry.