Re: PRR Mail Car/RPO project - MBM62 baggage-RPO combine in N scale

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I finally got a prior project finished and off my workbench - this means I can start real progress on my N scale MBM62 model - yea!

As prep work, I had previously sketched out a slice-and-dice approach, some of you will have seen this image before, it is included here for completeness...

Just like Burce did some time back, I spent about 30 minutes with a razor saw cutting up a LIMA N-scale PBM70 model into a 'flat kit'. I started by removing any underbody parts worth keeping, then sliced off the sides from the underframe - see image below:

Next job is to clean the back side of these parts so they are perfectly flat, removing the left-over material that can be seen at the image below:

More later...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2021 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [PRRPro] PRR Mail Car/RPO project - MBM62 baggage-RPO combine in N scale

Hi List Members,

I'm looking at doing a PRR class MBM62 baggage-RPO car for this project. An example of such a car, PRR 5403 can be seen at the link below.

While undated, the image can be no earlier than 1929, the year Railway Express Agency was founded. The image is from Vol 31 No 2 pg 6 of "The Milestone" and is probably the same as that referenced by the web link found below...

I spent some time and did a little 'virtual plastic surgery' to put together the required side sections from a Model Power PBM70, the colored arrows indicating roughly which sections came from what part of the donor car. The black rectangles show where window openings need to be cut.

What do you all think? Looks plausible to me!!!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 01, 2021 12:07 PM
Subject: [PRRPro] PRR Mail Car/RPO project is now open for discussion

Folks,

Happy New Year!  

The PRR mail car/railway post office project is now open for discussion. Please feel free to post your ideas, progress and problems to the list, and any photos to the photo album I have created. Files on the project should go in the folder in the Files section of the web site. 

Regards,
Bruce 
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

Join PRRPro@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.