Re: H25 paint shop

O Fenton Wells

Looking good Bruce, for a guy who doesn’t know much about PRR hopper colors they look right on to me.  Well done
Fenton

On Apr 29, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Robert Flores via groups.io <bobflores99@...> wrote:

I KNOW IT WOULDN'T BE RIGHT FOR YOUR ERA,  BUT WERE ANY OF THE H25 CARS EVER PAINTEDBLACK?  1957??

BOB FLORES   COLUMBUS  OHIO  HOME OF THE PENNSY NATIONAL IN 2021

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 09:30:11 PM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

Progress in the paint shop!  I put several coats on FCC on two of the three H25's over the weekend. I was using my PolyScale mix... when I ran out. And that's it... no more... Now what to do?  I had picked up some Vallejo colors to experiment with, so I dug them out and what I was most happy with was 4 parts Red Leather (818) to 1 part Purpleheart red (amaranth)(829). I think that the amaranth might be pretty close to a 1930s FCC, but its a bit too orange for 1940s era color... I'm not 100% happy with the mix I made. It needs a touch more red, I think.

Oh, and both colors were from the Model Color line. They are so thick that they are almost impossible to get out of the Vallejo dropper bottle. I thinned about 6 parts deionized H2O to 4 parts paint. It went on great over the PolyScale and I like the look

So then, what about the 3rd car? Look at the photos, and I'm pretty sure you're going to think I've lost it (and that is entirely possible). I'm sure some of you will figure out what I'm doing, but the rest will just have to wait and see 🙂  The color is Vallejo Air (pre thinned for air brushing) RLM61 Dunkelbraun aka Dark Brown (71.042). I painted the entirety of one car with it and the interiors of the other two with it (which is kinda a giveaway about car #3)

Once the FCC cars were dry, I gave them a coat of Future to create a gloss base for decals. Now they are ready for decals!