Topics

Using my PHSNA

Nick Kennedy

I haven't been using it a lot lately as I've been busy on other projects, but I've had a couple of uses pop up.

I have a big dipole fed with ladder line and then transitioning to coax.  When it acts funny, I always suspect it of being open on one side at the top, which I can't see.  I thought I'd try to measure the balance in the feeder

I took my MFJ-259B with a connector having two short clip leads. I wound ten turns on a big ferrite toroid and connected them to a BNC and that to the log power meter part of PHSNA. One leg at a time of the connections to the antenna connector were run though the toroid and the measurement noted. I got -6 dBm in both the center and shield sides, so I concluded that it's fairly well balanced.

I wonder how good a test this is?  Maybe I need a known unbalanced antenna as a control. I used the MFJ instead of PHSNA's DDS as a source because I thought a floating source would be a good idea.  I wonder if that's the case?

I had another use today.  I'm building a phasing type receiver and needed a good stable, strong signal to listen to. The MFJ drifts too much and although I have DDS boards coming out me ears, there's never one fully ready to go when I need it.  So I connected a few feet of wire to the output connector of the PHSNA's DDS, dialed up the right frequency and started it sending CW.  It gave me a really nice sounding, strong signal in the new receiver and was helpful in assessing the opposite of zero beat suppression I was getting.  Not a very exotic use, but it sure was handy.