From: PHSNA@... [mailto:PHSNA@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:38 PM
To: PHSNA@...
Subject: RE: [PHSNA] Re: Sweep output debugging

Mike,

the datasheet gives an opening for other markings: "Markings in addition to model number designation may appear for internal quality control purposes."
But it would be really messed up if Minicircuits used the same markings on two different products in the same style of casing.

Also did you buy ERA-3 or ERA-3SM+? And did you buy from the same seller as I did?

Best regards
Marcus

Marcus Gustafsson

Mike,

I found the same offer, same seller, I took the chance. I'll let you all know the results.

Br
Marcus

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:21 AM, 'K5ESS' k5ess.nothdurft@... [PHSNA] <PHSNA@...> wrote:

Marcus,

What I ordered was listed as the ERA-3SM+ from a seller called “Babaoshop”.  12 pcs for $9.39 US with free shipping.  Same offer no longer available.  Same supplier now selling 6 pcs for $5.39 US with $2.00 shipping.

Best regards,

Mike K5ESS

the datasheet gives an opening for other markings: "Markings in addition to model number designation may appear for internal quality control purposes."
But it would be really messed up if Minicircuits used the same markings on two different products in the same style of casing.

Also did you buy ERA-3 or ERA-3SM+? And did you buy from the same seller as I did?

Best regards
Marcus

Nick Kennedy

Babaoshop lists them under both part numbers in the ad headline, although further down in the ad they say ERA-3SM (with no plus).

How do you figure out what you're getting?  The manufacturer's markings don't seem very specific either.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Marcus Gustafsson mankan@... [PHSNA] <PHSNA@...> wrote:

[...]

Nick,

for my part it does not matter, the + just indicates RoHS compliance.

Br
Marcus, SA5PMG

K5ESS

Marcus, Nick,

Just measured the gain of the ERA-3 ordered from Babaoshop as installed in the PHSNA Crystal test fixture.  Measured at 7.2 MHz using HP400E.  Crystal test fixture terminated in 50 ohm load.  Measured gain between the output and the primary of T1.  I did this because my DDS is using the on board LPF and has an output impedance of around 200 ohms so the attenuation of the 5.4 dB pad would not be accurate.  The optional 3dB pad was bypassed leaving only the 3.5 dB pad after T2 in the path.  Anyway,  bottom line I measured 22.5 dB gain so I think the parts are legit.

Best regards,

Mike K5ESS

for my part it does not matter, the + just indicates RoHS compliance.

Br
Marcus, SA5PMG

Nick Kennedy

Thanks Marcus & Mike. I was trying to get to that point (RoHS) but couldn't find it explicitly, and I found data sheets that seemed to indicate that the P/N lacking the + sign had about 3 dB lower gain.  That was probably just the different parameters specified for the gain values.

So I'm good to go with a purchase now.

Marcus Gustafsson

Hi all,

wanted to share my latest proceedings of my PSHNA build on an experimenters board.
Short recap: I first got MAV-3 instead of ERA-3 MMIC although when I got hold of ERA-3 I never got them to work properly.

So I decided to go with a 2N5109 solution instead, however the output dropped around 5dB over the 1-60MHz span, see below:

So this made me curious on the utilizing the Rset input on the DDS with an ALC so I built the DDS-60 ALC http://www.cwtd.org/May_6-2014.html from the CWTD webpage. And got this result when adjusting the ALC for 0dBm output at 60MHz.

I think I settle for this for now and move on to other projects.

However I'm toying with the idea of skipping major parts of the ALC and letting the Arduino read the AD8307 and control the Rset with LP-filtered PWM output to the MOSFET, or just use a digital potentiometer directly.

Best regards
Marcus, SA5PMG