Topics

Shielding for Power meter?

Ben Pharr

I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

wb6ogd

I don't know if it fits his board, but I made my custom board to use a copper pipe cap from the hardware store,
see attached...
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

On 2/25/2019 7:44 AM, Ben Pharr wrote:
I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

EB4APL

Copper foil is good, but you can also use tin foil recovered from a beer can (one that is not made from aluminum) Remove the paint and cut it to size with a pair of scissors.

73 de

Ignacio, EB4APL

)

El 25/02/2019 a las 19:52, wb6ogd escribió:
I don't know if it fits his board, but I made my custom board to use a copper pipe cap from the hardware store,
see attached...
73,
Gary
WB6OGD

On 2/25/2019 7:44 AM, Ben Pharr wrote:
I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

---

I don't want to speak for him but I think Jim said he didn't notice much
difference with and without the foil. It sure looks cool though.

I'd suggest that Hobby Lobby might have copper foil or sheets of proper
thickness for the job.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM Ben Pharr <bnp@...> wrote:

I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble
it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of
copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions
on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

K5ESS

I used tin plated steel sheet from Hobby Lobby. It cuts easily and solders very well. See attached on right side.
Mike
K5ESS

I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

jim

The last copper foil I bought  (1/2" wide 60' roll), about 20 years ago at a stained glass shop ..Do they even have those  anymore?
Lots of it on Amazon

Jim

On Monday, February 25, 2019, 7:44:47 AM PST, Ben Pharr <bnp@...> wrote:

I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

Ronald Morrison

Some of the guitar parts supply places sell an adhesive backed copper foil that is much wider.  I bought a roll of 2 3/8" wide foil tape.  Great for shielding or for making pcbs from perf board, etc. Even add a side of copper to a single sided pcb.
Ron, K5DUZ

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 12:03:09 AM CST, jim via Groups.Io <ab7vf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

The last copper foil I bought  (1/2" wide 60' roll), about 20 years ago at a stained glass shop ..Do they even have those  anymore?
Lots of it on Amazon

Jim

    On Monday, February 25, 2019, 7:44:47 AM PST, Ben Pharr <bnp@...> wrote:

I have one of N5IB's power meter boards and I'm almost ready to assemble it. What kind of material do I need to shield the SMD section? Some sort of copper foil I'm assuming? Can someone give me some specs? Any suggestions on where I can buy some?

Thanks,
Ben
WF5N

wb6ogd

Wow Mike,
I thought you attached the wrong photo at first...  OMG, you do pro work!!
73,
Gary
WB6OGD