Topics

PHSNA Type II and Experimentors board T1

K5ESS

Jim,

The schematics and parts list for these call out a 12 turn primary and secondary for T1 although the photo “PHSNA Type II Transformer T1 details” appears to show 16 turns on Pri. And Sec.  Maybe it’s not critical but which is correct/preferred?

Thanks,

Mike K5ESS

N5IB

The number of turns is a bit of a trade-off. More turns will be more efficient at low frequencies, but will introduce losses at high frequencies. Fewer turns will not couple well at low frequencies, but are good at the high end.

12 turns seems to be a decent compromise, but I wound mine (in the photo) with 16 because most of my use is fiddling with crystals below 10 MHz.

If you really wanted to use the full 1 to 60 MHz range with an AD-9851 you might need to experiment a bit to see what yields the flattest response. Possibly a high turns count, but on -61 mix ferrite, might be better.

Jim, N5IB